News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500pt Millitarium Tempestus  (Read 3269 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
1500pt Millitarium Tempestus
« on: November 14, 2016, 08:32:57 PM »
Heading to a Tournament this weekend, and I'm having trouble deciding on a list. Playing ITC Format, so three Detachment max.

I have two basic lists I'm deciding on, but the second has a couple of wargear options.

First list is

Hellrain Brigade

Tempestus Command squad
x4 flamers

Tempests Scion Squad
x2 meltaguns

Commissar

Taurox Prime with Autocannon/Missiles

Hellrain Brigade

Tempestus Command squad
x3 plasmaguns x1 meltagun, Plasma Pistol on Prime

Tempests Scion Squad
x2 meltaguns

Commissar

Combined Arms Detachment

Commissar

Scion Squad
x2 plasmaguns
Taurox Prime with Autocannons/ Missiles

Scion Squad
x2 plasmaguns

Scion Squad
x2 Meltaguns

Valkyrie
Rocket Pods, Heavy Bolters

Valkyrie

So, for the Hellrain Brigades, as long as the Commissars are alive, that formations scion squad goes into ongoing deepstrike reserves when it's wiped out. So, that's two Meltagun squads which can keep coming back turn after turn. The commissars (depending what my opponent is running), Either hide in the Valkyries all game, or are stuck in reserves. Lots of shooting, and the respacing squads can be great.

List 2

Hellrain Brigade

Tempestus Command squad
x4 flamers

Tempests Scion Squad
x2 meltaguns

Commissar

Combined Arms Detachment
Tempestus Command squad
x2 plasmaguns x2 meltagun

Tempests Scion Squad
x2 meltaguns
Taurox Prime with autocannon/Missiles

Scion Squad
x2 plasmaguns

Scion Squad
x2 plasmaguns

Scion Squad
x2 Meltaguns

Valkyrie

Inquisitor Detachment

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
Master Level 1
Psycannon, Daemon Hammer, Terminator Armour

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
Master Level 1
Psycannon, Daemon Hammer, Terminator Armour

The second list runs one hellrain Brigade, but I drop one of the Valkyries to add in two Inquisitors. They will start in a Taurox (or two) and be a threat with Psychic Shriek in the Psychic Phase, and the psycannon in the shooting phase. They could also deepstrike too, to add more deepstriking MSU.

This event lets you choose your warlord trait, as long as you're not rolling from the BRB warlord trait tables, so I'd probably choose the Inquisitor trait of 'Roll two dice and choose' for each reserve roll.

I'm leaning toward the second list, as I like the functionality of the Inquisitors and they are fairly tough and have thunderhammers too.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: 1500pt Millitarium Tempestus
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 06:39:07 AM »
Hey KS I like the second list too. Playing a fragile shooting army myself, I find it ultra important to be able to throw a close combat unit at something, to hold the line if just for a turn. The Valkyries are great, but with as much speed and deepstriking as you have you should be able to ferret out enemy units almost anywhere on the board, and use just the single Valkyrie as fire support for high priorities. I'm not against having 2 of them, I just think the Inquisitors might be a bit more helpful. Their psychic powers could be ultra helpful if you run into Daemons and the like as well.

All that being said I like both lists but lean towards #2. Good luck buddy! Let us know how you do
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 10:23:08 PM »
I feel the same way as well, but having two squads which recycle is really good, especially as they go into deep strike reserves.

The main thing is if two Inquisitors are worth giving up recycling a second squad too. The Valkyrie is there to fill points lol.

That definitely counteracts the fragility of the troops. However, it uses up all my detachments. As it is, I can recycle the one squad.

I've also equipped both command squads with four flamers each. They have an order which twin-links their guns, which is phenomenal with four flamers lol.

I'm probably going to run the two Inquisitors. Gives me something to help deal with optomiZed stealth cadres and riptides, which I know I'll see.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 07:12:24 AM »
Hmmmm. I think the 2 Inquistors are worth it. They bring something unique and versatile to your force and you can use them in different ways depending on the opponent, terrain etc. I think it worth sacrificing some redundancy especially when most of your units operate in the same general way (highly mobile, yet fragile shooting infantry).

Also, a big point to me, is that you know you are going to face certain units (stealth suits, riptide) and you have a counter to them with the Inquisitors, thats a slam-dunk for me. In my last game I was having a bear of a time dislodging those damn stealth suits and they were pouring fire into me and the scooting away because my assault units were to slow to catch them. I'd absolutley include them in my toolbox for purposes of tackling both the stealth suits and far more importantly the Riptide.

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

• Ancient
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 10:28:11 PM »
Well, I had a practice game tonight against space wolves.

The Inquisitors are great! They were a credible threat in three phases of the game, and managed to kill off the last of a thunder wolf squad (in melee!), and finish off a wolfin squad with a phenomenal shriek roll. I rolled terrify and invisibility as my powers, but didn't really have the use for either lol.

The respawning squad did great, but spent three turns falling back after getting out of combat with a dreadnought, so I couldn't recycle them as much as I would have liked.

Valkyrie did beslubber all, like usual. But, it kept the commissar alive, and is a great late-game objective grabber.

Ended up loosing the game, but it was close and if I played a bit smarter, I would have won. The flamers one the command squads are mvp's for sure. The fact I can twin-link them is phenomenal. Four twin-link flamers is no joke!

I had issue with all my taurox being killed in combat turn 2. I should probably have kept all but one in reserve, as he had no shooting and would force him to spread out. We played a hammer and anvil game, so there is really nowhere to run.

I'm as ready as I'll ever be.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 07:19:02 AM »
Hell yeah KS! Way to go. Glad the Inquisitors did you justice... that 3 phase threat is exactly what I thought they could give you. Great work there killing the Thunderlord. No easy task! Glad the shriek worked out for you too.

If you can make sure you take some pics during the games (if you can manage, I know things get intense). Either way let us know how it goes. Rooting for you bud!