News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: WD rules  (Read 3561 times)

Offline commissar_bob

• blarg
  • Armies: space wolfs.  IG armored company
WD rules
« on: October 21, 2012, 04:12:05 PM »
I was wondering if you had to own the WD to use the rules ..say the storm tallon ..or if the rules for the stormtallen can be found on gamesworkshop.com someplace

Also anyone know where the rules are for a leman russ conquer?  For 6thyou ..idk if the imperal armor things are all 6th adition friendly

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
Re: WD rules
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 06:45:51 PM »
I think the storm talon rules where only in the white dwarf, which isn't very helpful.

The leman russ conqueror is forge world so it's rules are in their imperial armour books.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 06:46:29 PM »
The Conquerer still exists as something other than an aesthetic Leman Russ upgrade?  The old rules allowed it to shoot in ways that the usual Leman Russ could not, at a massive penalty to its lethality; in 6th edition that drawback has no benefit at all.

The basic rules for the Storm Talon are on GW's page:
Space Marine Stormtalon Gunship | Games Workshop
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline commissar_bob

• blarg
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 07:09:04 PM »
Ya i have WD for the tallen ..i was hopeing to find a chapter aproved codex or something ..maby they will come out with one again

Offline Dangerousdave0042

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Blood Angels and Tyranids
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 07:42:19 AM »
The storm talon can only be used officially with the Space Marine Codex.

You cannot use the Storm Talon with the:

Dark Angel
Blood Angel
Space Wolf
Black Templar
Grey Knght
(etc)

Codexes

However, my regular opponent has no objection to me using it in my Blood Angels force as it fits nicely into the Blood Angels fluff of fast attack (but that's a "house" rule).
Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 08:10:49 AM »
The Conquerer still exists as something other than an aesthetic Leman Russ upgrade?  The old rules allowed it to shoot in ways that the usual Leman Russ could not, at a massive penalty to its lethality; in 6th edition that drawback has no benefit at all.

Not exactly true - because the Conquerer Cannon will allow you to fire your additional (sponson) weapons without having to snap fire them whereas the ordnance russ variants force you to snap fire. So, the Conquerer sacrifices the "big gun" power in replacement for more accurate fire all round. Still useful if you ask me.

Offline KJQ

• Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 12:31:08 PM »
I was wondering if you had to own the WD to use the rules ..say the storm tallon ..or if the rules for the stormtallen can be found on gamesworkshop.com someplace

I would say no you don't need to own a copy of the June 2012 WD, especially since it sold out within days of release and even the ebay types have sold their overpriced copies. My logic is this:

The rules for the Stormtalon are in the 5th edition Space Marine Codex (albeit NOT the printed version). As long as you own any 5th edition copy of the codex (i.e. the paper one), you are entitled to use the Stormtalon model.  You can get the rules for it as I did by calling the Games Workshop support line and they will tell you them verbally over the phone (yes it's tedious). Hypothetically one could also obtain the rules off of the Internet by using search tools such as google, but doing so would be a violation of GW copyright by you and/or the person publishing them (depending upon the format they chose to publish said rules). 

Once again, GW hasn't thought through the implications of limiting the means of obtaining the rules for this model. If they think that every SM player is going to buy an iPad and the electronic codex just to be able to use this one model between now and when the next paper SM codex comes out, they're crazy.  I'm guessing it's even worse for Ork players wanting to use the three new flyers they have out as there is no e-book version of the current Ork codex. Go figure.
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school. " - Albert Einstein

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 05:13:18 PM »
I'm guessing it's even worse for Ork players wanting to use the three new flyers they have out as there is no e-book version of the current Ork codex. Go figure.

It's actually better for Orks as they canjust buy the rules on their own:
iTunes - Books - Chapter Approved: Ork Bommer by Games Workshop

Offline Sightless Blind - Free Booter Ork

• Ork Boy
  • BLOOD FOR TH-----I mean......WAAAAAAGHHHHH!!!!
    • My Youtube Channel.....with Orks!!
  • Armies: Orks, Necrons, Warriors of Chaos
« Reply #8 on: November 1, 2012, 07:03:49 AM »
I bought the white dwarf when it came out just to get a peak at the new models, but I've got friends who this has really irritated. Only one person out of our local game scene ever uses apple products, let alone the price tag they toss on these downloads. Its ridiculous.
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only me trying to save money on these #@%!!!ing models.

My Hell Boyz WAAAAGHHHHHH
Hell Boyz - My Theme Army(updated 6/8/09) - Orks - 40K Online

Check out my 40k videos on my youtube channel.
SightlessBlind - YouTube

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #9 on: November 1, 2012, 07:12:48 AM »
The rules for the Storm Talon can also be found in IA: Aeronautica

Offline commissar_bob

• blarg
« Reply #10 on: November 1, 2012, 07:25:23 AM »
Does the IA one allow it to be used by other SM with a codex ie space wolfs ..im guessing no but thought i would ask

Offline Unleash Mayhem

• - In Vulkan's Name -
  • Armies: Salamanders 1st and 2nd Company, Imperial Guard
« Reply #11 on: November 1, 2012, 08:24:57 AM »
The Storm Talon isn't in IA:Aeronautica unfortunately. However it is in the digital rulebook

Offline KJQ

« Reply #12 on: November 1, 2012, 10:03:01 AM »
The rules for the Storm Talon can also be found in IA: Aeronautica

You must be thinking of the Storm Eagle.  As I said in my previous post, GW says you can use the Stormtalon (without having the WD edition or the iBook Codex), and the 'official' way to get the rules from them is over the phone.
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school. " - Albert Einstein

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #13 on: November 1, 2012, 10:29:23 AM »
D'oh!  :o

There's me trying to be all smart becuase I've mind melded the WD article into the SM section of Aeronautica. 

that'll teach me.

Offline commissar_bob

• blarg
« Reply #14 on: November 1, 2012, 10:43:25 AM »
ive heard of calling them but im unsure where i should look for the number for questions .. is it in a codex or a page in the main rule book ?

Offline KJQ

« Reply #15 on: November 1, 2012, 10:55:50 AM »
ive heard of calling them but im unsure where i should look for the number for questions .. is it in a codex or a page in the main rule book ?

For North America:

PHONE: 1-800-394-4263
Monday through Friday
9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. CST

MAIL
Games Workshop Customer Services
6211 East Holmes Road
Memphis, TN 38141
USA

CustServ@gwplc.com