News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Skyborne - An Elysian Story  (Read 6903 times)

Offline Cutlass442

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • American Muscle
Skyborne - An Elysian Story
« on: January 5, 2004, 10:10:30 PM »
MY next story.  this one goes along with my army kind of, and has Elysian Culture.

Skyborne
Benji Berkeley

Lieutenant Edani Ramon dove head-first into the trench next to him.  A streaking pain shot up his arm as he hit the bottom.  He must have torn a muscle, he thought.  The trench smelled of pencil shavings and burnt flesh.  The Lieutenant quickly glanced around at his surroundings.  A panicking vox-officer was yelling and screaming while two soldiers held him down as a medic prepared to inject him with a poison compound.  The vox-officer was suffering with third degree burns over his lower body and both of his legs were charred away into the ash-wastes of the trench.  Edani quickly broke a salute to the dying soldier and then looked over the top of the trench, and to his horror, spotted two Iron Warrior Chaos Space Marines, eagerly looking for something to kill, like the great birds of prey that flew around the Elysian hive cities.  He knew, somehow, that his father was going to make everything alright.  Just like his first combat drop six years earlier…

Elysian Air Mobile Academy, Tarre Hive City, Elysia

Colonel Ian Ramon anxiously nibbled his vaporwyrm sandwich in the Headmaster’s office.  This was the day.  The day he found out if his son had made Lieutenant, or was rejected from service in the Air Mobile.  They kept these meetings private, because it is considered a great shame on the student if they are rejected.
   The Headmaster looked at the Colonel.  “There is no need to worry, Colonel.  Everyone in the Tarre Hive has heard stories of your adventures and knows you have the greatest drop troop legacy in all of Elysia.  There is no doubt your son will follow suit.”
   Colonel Ramon returned the look.  “That is not what I am worried about.  I hope he is assigned in the same regiment as I.  I don’t know what he would do without me.”
   There was a pause between the two men, and it would’ve continued if it wasn’t for a buzzer on the Headmaster’s desk.  It was followed by: “Ramon, Edani is ready to see you, Headmaster Tzenda.”
   “Send him in, please.”
   The large oak doors of the office opened, and young Edani entered, in the full maroon and white colored Elysian dress uniform.  As he came closer, Colonel Ramon looked around for the silver Lieutenant bars on his shoulders.  There was none he could see.  This could not be good, the Colonel thought to himself.  The Headmaster appeared equally nervous, but quickly seated himself straight up.
   “What…” Began the Colonel.
   “Psyche!  Here they are!” laughed the young man as he held out his hand to reveal, none other than the two lieutenant bars.
   Everyone in the room laughed and the Headmaster collapsed back in his leather chair.  “Citizens of Elysia, we got another Ramon in our ranks!”
   Colonel Ramon smiled, but he knew his son would have to prove himself on the field of battle first.

Offline Cutlass442

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • American Muscle
Re: Skyborne - An Elysian Story
« Reply #1 on: January 5, 2004, 10:13:12 PM »
the second one is faulty... POST HERE

I will post more later... but i got some work to do now...

c ya all

Offline Tero Rogue Psyker

• I'm not cute I'm a Grey knight! FEAR ME..please?
« Reply #2 on: January 5, 2004, 10:13:32 PM »
 MMMMmmmm vaporwyrm sandwhich..good eatin'
I'm not very..um interesting..I just kinda post here..Go me

Offline Da_Orky_Alchemist

• "Death Blades"
« Reply #3 on: January 5, 2004, 11:48:16 PM »
Ounds prety good, I dunno about him saying "psyche" though....
Amid the weeping and the woe
Accursed deamon do thou remain and rot
I know thee filthy as thou art I know

Offline Karl Eller

• OMG Laserguns!, Colonel-Commissar
  • Ancient
  • This is madness?! THIS IS LINUX!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 6, 2004, 01:28:44 AM »
looks pretty good, though it strikes me as a little... informal.
You would think that in the Headmaster's office they would be a bit more formal...
looks pretty cool though.

Eller
"Explain how bad this turbulence will be"
"Oh god! Oh god! We're going to die"
"*over the intercom* Uh, this is your captain speaking, we're going to experience a few minor bumps, then uh... crash!"

Offline Cutlass442

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • American Muscle
« Reply #5 on: January 6, 2004, 07:28:50 AM »
6 days later, after getting to know the men in his platoon, his regiment was requested to aid in an assault on the Tau outpost world of Fo’undo.  Colonel Ramon, the senior officer of Edani’s regiment, wanted to replace Edani with another officer, due to lack of experience and on such short notice of the drop, but Edani insisted not.  He said that is part of being in the Air Mobile; dealing with the unexpected.
   That night, Edani walked out of the officer’s barracks to his father’s “lair” as it was called.  It was a large subterranean cavern that used to be home to a family of vaporwyrms.  Unfortunately, when the spaceport was created, it was cleared of the majestic creatures and made the regimental Headquarters.
   Edani typed in his seven-digit clearance code on the door, and the door opened with a whine and brilliant cool breeze.  There was a long hallway, where he remembered he and his friends would play “Space Marine Heroes” as a child.  It was full of crates and fuel drums, and officer doors at irregular intervals.  Finally, he made it to the end of the hall to where his father’s office was.
   Edani opened the door and walked in.  The Colonel was busy typing at his computer.  He looked up from his work.  “Yes, Edani?  Why have you come?”
   The young Lieutenant fumbled his words, but got them out correctly.  “Is it going to be like my training, father?”
   “What is?”
   “The jump we are making tomorrow, will it be like my training?”
   “Not at all, Lieutenant.”
   “How so?”
   The Colonel paused and then got up from his desk and started to pace slowly.  “The Valkyries will be bouncing around to avoid anti-aircraft fire and making drastic changes in altitude before the drop.  Men will be vomiting their guts out.  Everyone will be anxiously awaiting the green light.  The barrage of fire is likely to give you sore kidneys for hours.  And the worst part, Edani, is the smell.  I’ll have to leave you to experience that.”
   “Oh…” Edani drifted off.
   “When you are the first to jump, you’re a leader.  When you are first to go over the top you are a-”
   “Leader,” finished Edani.
   The Colonel nodded.  “When you are the first to run from battle, you’re a-”
   Edani was confused.
   “A leader,” finished Ian.  “Don’t ever forget, Edani.  Your men will follow your every action, even if it is cowardice.  They look up to you, do not fail them.  Off you go now.”
   Edani nodded and saluted.  The Colonel saluted his son and sat back down.  Tomorrow will be a big day for him, thought Ian.  A big day indeed.

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
« Reply #6 on: January 6, 2004, 12:27:55 PM »
Looketh good, what happened to the Owl?

Offline Cutlass442

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • American Muscle
« Reply #7 on: January 6, 2004, 06:08:03 PM »
the owl got old... :P

i havent posted at in since forever...

more tonight!

Offline Cutlass442

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • American Muscle
« Reply #8 on: January 6, 2004, 07:33:56 PM »

Edani and the rest of his command staff walked out in the afternoon twilight to their valkyrie at the far side of the tarmac.  Tech Priests were busy recieting prayers to the great flyers, and other aircrews began their pre-flight check.  Edani and his command staff walked under the wing, and next to some extra cargo that the pilots were sitting on.
   “Good evening, officer.  I am Lieutenant Ahamo Korrel, and this is Chief Warrant Officer Sarah Reno.  We will be your pilots for your next six months.  We are glad to have you aboard!” greeted Ahamo as he reached out his hand for Edani to shake.
   “Good evening to you too.” Said Edani even though he was busy looking at the young female pilot.  He broke the gaze when he realized Ahamo was waiting to be acknowledged.
   “Okay, we will be on our way once one of the ground crews loads this heavy cargo on board.” Said Sarah.
   “Aw, there is no need for that…” Edani Said as he smiled.
   “Why is that, Lieutenant?” asked Corporal Jhar , a member of the command squad.
   “Err… because we can do it ourselves!  Those ground crews get enough work as it is!”  Everyone looked at the Lieutenant in an odd manner.  “Well don’t stand there, help me!”
   When nobody answered, Edani shook his head and went over to the first ammunition crate.  He bent over and put his palms underneath, and pulled.  Immedialty, he let go as a sudden streak of pain surged up his back.  He squinted his eyes and stood for a few seconds.  “Okay, maybe we can wait for the aircrew…” Edani suggested.

It was forty minutes into the flight when the anit-aircraft fire opened up on the valkyries of the Elysian 7th.  Bright blue pulse flashes could been seen outside the port and starboard windows of the Valkyrie.  With each explosion, the Valkyrie hopped upwards and then jolted back down to correct itself.  Evey time this happened, Edani’s back bristled with pain.  “Great”, thought Edani to himself.  “You tried to impress her with your ‘awesome’ strength, and all you get is a sore back… great going…”
   Then his thoughts we interrupted by a smell.  A horrid smell he did not recognize, but it made his stomach turn.  The Valkyrie smelled of sick, of fear, and most of all, hate.  He bet everyone was thinking “This surely can’t be the glorious life of the Air Mobile, where am I?”
   He was about to open his canteen when he heard Ahamo’s voice boom over the intercom.  “One minute minute until drop, I repeat, there is one minute until drop.”
   He continued to twist the cap off and then took a swig of cold, Elysian spring water.  Then, a loud explosion outside the aircraft jolted everyone in their seats, and Edani yelled out in pain.  He got himself together just in time to see a burning mass of an aircraft fly past the window.  “Oh hell…”
   A loud buzzer sounded the changing of the red to the yellow light at the door, and the Lieutenant stood up and proceeded to the opening cargo hatch.  He clipped the parachute release cord onto a metal bar above his head, and waited for the green light.
   Another buzzer sounded the green light and Edani made a prayer, and remembering his father’s words, he jumped.

---------------

hey i know this story may be boring and actionless so far, but i am setting the scene.  Action will come shortly!

Offline Commissar ShoutY

• Commissar
  • it says it all
« Reply #9 on: January 7, 2004, 03:48:25 AM »
looks damn good
Member of the prestigious 40konline commissariate, and we're here...

wonderful, amazing! i'm in awe of your uselessness

Offline Cutlass442

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • American Muscle
« Reply #10 on: January 7, 2004, 07:15:30 AM »

Edani free-fell for about eight feet until the cord attached to the metal bar in the Valkyrie snapped tight and pulled out his grav-chute.  The cord, along with Valkyrie, disappeared into the night sky in a matter of seconds.  As the grav-chute gained air resistance, he had a chance to safely look down at the landing zone.  All he could see were the erupting anti-aircraft guns, and the masses of other soldiers below him. 
   Some soldiers started yelling and calling out into the sky, scared and looking for a friend, but they were quickly silenced by a burst of blue tracers from enemy guns.  Edani muttered in disgust.  “That is why your grav-chutes are painted black, so the enemy will not detect you.”
   Eventually, after much waiting, the ground was less than thirty feet away.  This is it.  The hardest part of the whole deal.  Landing.
   In ten seconds, Edani hit the ground.  Even though he had perfect form, a great pain erupted in his back and he collapsed.  Another soldier whispered into his micro-bead for a medic, and soon a medic was aiding the Lieutenant.
   “What happened?  Did you have a bad fall?” whispered the medic.
   “No, I tore a fething muscle in my back!” yelled Edani.
   The medic and two other troopers glared at Edani.  He had made too much sound.  “You know better than that, Lieutenant.  Now I have been in this platoon for three years, and I don’t need some green-assed Lieutenant putting my life, or anyone else’s, in danger.  So shape up, Sir.”
   Edani was about to retort when he remembered his father’s words: “Your men will follow your every action, even if it is cowardice.” The Lieutenant thought about this, and decided it wouldn’t be good to set a bad example on the first day.
   “Very well then… what is your name?”
   “Chief Medic Yeer Falkur, sir.”
   “Well, Falkur, I am sorry to trouble you, carry on.”
   The Chief-Medic smiled and took a look at the Lieutenant’s back.  “It appears, sir, that one of your spinal discs has been dislocated.  It will need surgery.  I think it would be wise to sit this one out.”
   “No.  That is bad luck!  I can’t go back to my father and say: I was and idiot so I had to sit out my first mission!  The Colonel would kill me!”
   The medic paused for a second.  “Your father’s Colonel Ramon?”
   “Yes indeed.”
   “You should still sit it out, Lieutenant.”
   “I’ll sit it out tomorrow.”  And with that, Edani picked up his saber and bolt pistol and went to find the rest of his command squad of Echo Platoon, 2nd Company, 7th Elysian Air Mobile.

Offline Cutlass442

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • American Muscle
« Reply #11 on: January 7, 2004, 03:42:22 PM »
looks like few people like this story  :'(

Offline Kaliban La Rousse

• Lurking in the background
« Reply #12 on: January 7, 2004, 05:16:38 PM »
No Berkowitz keep writing I suggest you also do a Story for colonel Ramon getting captured by the Tau cos that would be action, stealth and more action all thew way through.  I personally quite like your story.  keep it up its good so far!

Non-orthopedically sprung life forms are reminded that matresses are the only sentient creatures that need floloping every day

Space Marines - Golden Disciples 4500pts done
Imperial Guard - 1st Elonian Janizars - w.i.p.

Offline AceKng1

• Innocence proves nothing
« Reply #13 on: January 7, 2004, 09:23:06 PM »
Don't think nobody likes this story!  This is very good, especially since it is about drop troops.  Its a lot better than I could ever write so keep up the good work!
Grandmaster of the Caerleon Crusades Grey Knight Company who in times of need are supported by the Vulkarian 41st Heavy Drop Company.<br /><br />"We may be outnumbered and out gunned,<br />But our weapons are ready, our grav-chutes are charged, and we have the element of surprise."<br />-Slogan of the Vulkarian 41st Heavy Drop Company<br /><br />Farseer of the Naran-ju Craftworld<br /><br />"Fear us, for we are the Eldar.  We bring your doom."<br />-Warchant of the Naran-ju Craftworld Eldar

Offline Oldblueballs234

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: January 8, 2004, 12:13:53 AM »
man thats quite a good story u r writing there so keep up the good work ;D

Offline General Siegler

• General, Nobody knows who I am!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Retired member of the 40konline Commissariate.
    • Imperial Guard Message Board
« Reply #15 on: January 8, 2004, 12:58:38 AM »
srry berkowitz, my power was out all day, it's a good story
General of the Imperial Guard's Special Operations and Airborne division.

Offline Cutlass442

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • American Muscle
« Reply #16 on: January 9, 2004, 11:50:56 PM »

Edani found Chief Petty Officer Tellem lying on a ridge, pointing the barrel of his boltgun into the undergrowth near the top.  His head was buried in the bushes, hunting for something to kill.  Edani had briefly met Tellem at the airbase, but he knew, like the medic, Tellem was a veteran of many years, and didn’t think highly of the new Lieutenant, just another green officer that comes to replace the one before him.
   That made Edani wonder: Would he die off as the one before him?  Or will he be the one officer that has a talent for this job… like his father.  He then dismissed the thought and got down beside Tellem.
   “Where are Trooper D’avre and Comms Officer Fryno?” whispered Edani, remembering to whisper this time.
   “They fell skyward, Lieutenant.” Replied Tellem.
   “What the heck does-”
   “They were killed when they landed into a pit of sinking sand.  Dragged down by their own parachutes.  Such is the way of war, Sir.” Replied Tellem with growing aggravation.
   Edani was horrified, but managed to get his words out.  “I mean… fell skyward.  What does that mean?”
   “It refers to the drop at the Ork world of Ghetti.  A vermillion-level security secret that slipped out.  Your father was the only one to survive the incident.  To-”
   Tellem was suddenly interrupted by his own death.  A pulse of blue energy split through the undergrowth and exploded in Tellem’s head like a firecracker, splattering unrecognizable human body parts over Edani’s carapace armor.
   “amphetamine parrot!  amphetamine parrot!  Holy Vaporwyrms!  Incoming on the left flank!” yelled Edani as he scrambled into a good prone position.
   The first to come was Trooper Dermote and he laid down next to the Lieutenant.  He fired wildly into the undergrowth, and something shrieked out in front of them.  Then, a severed, blue-skinned arm fell in front of them, oozing with blood.
   Edani stopped firing his pistol and paused and looked at the arm.  He reached forward to it when the Trooper suddenly screamed out.  A glancing pulse round seared off his left face and he reeled backwards, screaming in pain.
   That was enough to snap him out of his trance.  Edani cursed under his breath and went over the top of the ridge, cutting through the undergrowth with his saber.  He took seven more steps and was about to step out again, but he slipped into a ditch, apparently the shrubs were no longer around him, but two Tau Fire-Warriors paused to look for a half-a-second at their new guest.  One Fire-Warrior locked eyes with Edani, both petrified, but Edani was quicker.  He lashed out his legs, knocking the feet out of the first one, who fell over.  Edani then rolled over in the muddy trench, bringing his bolt pistol up to the second Tau Fire-Warrior.  He pulled the trigger twice, which made a gaping hole in the alien’s chest area.
   The other one was recovering from the fall, and drew out his own sword.  Apparently, he too was an officer.  Edani pounced up, once again looking straight into his enemy’s eyes.  The alien beckoned him closer, and then, he lashed out.  A sword fight had begun.
   The Tau’s first blow was quickly parried by Edani’s saber, as well as his second.  Edani then brought up his free hand and grabbed the Tau’s sword-holding arm and twisted it over, pulling the alien in close.  As Edani had the alien in his lock, he rested his ice-cold saber on the Alien’s neck.  After a few seconds, he released the grip and let the alien go.  Edani did not like to execute officers, and valued respect.
   The two officers looked at each other, and then the Tau officer nodded and then picked up his weapon and went over the ditch top and into the shrubbery.
   Edani wiped the sweat from his brow and continued down the trench line.  He holstered his bolt pistol and saber and drew out the famous Elysian-pattern shotgun.  As he ran further down, he ran into a Fire-Warrior at an intersection.  The alien paused and Edani smiled as if to say “hello”.  A half-second later, Edani ended his smile and pumped a blast of hot lead into the alien.
   Apparently, there were a squad of Tau behind the first one, and Edani’s heart skipped a beat as he saw the others emerge from behind the trench corner.  As the first one came around, Edani, brought up the butt of his shotgun and whacked him across the face, and leveled it at his waist just in time to shoot the second one coming in.
   The third Tau was not as easy.  The alien brought the butt up from his own weapon and whacked the Lieutenant in the stomach.  The Lieutenant reeled over and gasped for air, but the Fire-Warrior had already delivered his second blow, knocking the Lieutenant on the muddy trench floor, for not the first time in the day.
   As the Tau dove on him, Edani drew his own utility knife up into the alien’s gut.  He could see his opponent’s eyes become glassy and slowly fade away.  Edani pulled fiercely upwards into the chest area, and then retracted the knife.  He let the dying alien fall beside him as he drew up his bolt pistol and shot the rest of the aliens behind him.
   Edani thought he was relieved when he saw an Elysian helmet among the enemy dead.  The owner of it yelped out in pain.  Edani scrambled to his feet and ran towards the fallen trooper.
   It was trooper Homar.  His leg was almost fully severed, and blood oozed out and mixed with the dirt.  Among the flesh, Edani froze as he saw the object.  A bolt round.  He had shot Homar.  The young trooper spoke out.
   “I… was taking them on… Lieutenant… I was going well… But then they got me.  I didn’t try… hard enough… I… failed the Emperor.”
   “Oh no no no no, you did just fine.  Wonderful, you saved my life for a matter of fact.”  Said the Lieutenant in a soft voice as tears came to his eyes.  He gently held the trooper’s head.  “Just hang in there, Homar, I’ll go get Falkur… you’ll be just fine.  Think of Elysia, of your family.”
   “Elysia…” The young soldier trailed off.
   Edani noticed the young man’s head had gone limp, and his eyes glassy.  Edani collapsed against the wall of the trench.  Such is the way of war, he thought to himself.

Offline Cutlass442

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • American Muscle
« Reply #17 on: January 9, 2004, 11:59:01 PM »
damn.... i still wish i could write at least on par with sheepz

i swear that guy is the next tom clancy!  :P

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2004, 12:18:40 PM »
Thats very not true.

That last chapter was awesome,you're writing just keeps getting better. T'au are an interesting opponent, and I enjoy hearing about them (dying). Amazing work Colonel, I think it's great.

Offline Kaliban La Rousse

• Lurking in the background
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2004, 03:28:44 PM »
Great story berkowitz unfotunately my computah didn't seem to like 40k ca for a few days so it wouldn't let me on it to see your updates thanks for adding me to your respected regiments and keep on writing please
Non-orthopedically sprung life forms are reminded that matresses are the only sentient creatures that need floloping every day

Space Marines - Golden Disciples 4500pts done
Imperial Guard - 1st Elonian Janizars - w.i.p.