News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Least favorite Army?  (Read 10900 times)

Offline Mr.Tanks

• Grot
  • Lord Despot of Dakka.
  • Armies: The Brave & Noble Albion 212th Imperial Guard
Re: Least favorite Army?
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 07:41:17 AM »
I'm surprised so many people hate playing against SMurfs, they're nice, easy and go 'crunch' when my tanks roll over them  ::).

BUt seriously, after the CC monsters such as Orks and 'Nids who will assault you by turn 2, and the whoosh! lists of the Eldar and Tau and the annoying 'We'll be back, again and again and again and again etc etc' of the Necrons, I find SMurfs to be a nice, easy to kill break from it all, no one else feel this way?
What I cannot crush with words, I shall crush with the tanks of the Imperial Guard!

Offline Ishan

• Imperial Guard - Once you have it, you love it
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 01:00:39 PM »
I agree with you Mr.Tanks I <3 vsing SMurfs. Despite their 1000+ years of combat, when I go against them they just roll over and die for me. I think they're allergic to flashlights or something  ;D

Also I find necrons short-circuit quickly when you point flash lights in their eyes as well or having two Russes running across the field. You know what ever works  :D

My least favorite armies to play against are:

1. Dark Eldar: OMG! Every time I play against them they just SLAUGHTER ME like there's no tomorrow :( I've never played against a DE player who hasn't been to one GT.

2. Pure Infantry IG: I don't hate vsing them so much as just the time it takes to deploy EVERYTHING! Half an hour later then we're finally playing.

Offline sniperjolly

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 07:13:53 PM »
I like my conscript for that verry reason... the waiting dulls thire wits  ;D
Of course eldar can't win this challenge because as everyone knows, eldar are cheesy.
-Gwaihir
In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war. It's a common misconception. As it turns out, in the grim darkness of the far future there is a lot of backbreaking labor and even more busywork. It's mostly those two things. War is a distant third.

Offline Ishan

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 08:15:56 PM »
I like my conscript for that verry reason... the waiting dulls thire wits  ;D

LOLZ oh so true. I love playing against a mech or TMC list because they just HATE my guts when i'm finally done deploying one platoon of guardsmen  ;D

Offline IRolledA1

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 11:54:35 PM »
1. Orks, when they leak into my fire line, they eat up like a squad a turn, they're also pretty fast with their trukks
2. Imperial Guard, if he can out-shoot me, I won't like it, mechanized guard pisses me off also, bad experiences, 9 Chimeras coming in from every directions, Storm Troopers dropping, total annihilation for me
3. Necrons, they come back waaaay too much, doomsday MONOLITH
4. Eldar, too many special units, us, we have regular joes that don't need jump suits
"Let's play a game of Russian Roulette!  I'll load the gun, you place the bet!  Tell me who will make it out alive!"

Offline syth773

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 01:26:04 AM »
Necrons are a pain in the ass to fight with the guard. They're practically unstoppable. I recently nearly won a game against them (technically a tie, but I had ~50 more VP), but only because I got lucky and glanced a monolith with a lascannon in turn 1, so that it only had that one weapon to fire, which it unsuccessfully spent the rest of its (short) life firing on my demolisher.

Fluff-wise... I like all of 'em! Actually CSM bothers me a little bit. Why don't they ever run out of men? ...and do they not grow old and die?

hmm, i'm assuming you got a weapon destroyed result when hitting that monolith but that doesnt destroy any of its weapons, just reduces the number of shots that it gets on it's gauss flux arc by 1.  not much on the damage charts do much to stop a monolith other than a vehicle destroyed result.

Offline Janek Sunber

• Any job worth doing is worth dying for.
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2008, 01:22:23 PM »
Don't Crew Stunned, etc, work against those things? If not, I'm suddenly annoyed.

Also, I was just wondering from a game I had the other day... Are Command HQs compulsory? Or can you just have Commissars as a HQ choice?
Star Wars Galaxies Character: - Caffran Cloudrunner (Stormtrooper, Server: Starsider)
                                            - Friszk Fizzlebolt (Trandoshan Warsmith, Server: Starsider)

Vassal 40k Name:                   - Caffran Cloudrunner

If you roleplay, I'm more than happy to play online with you!

Offline Bert_the_Turtle

• Major
  • Rule #1: Pillage THEN burn.
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2008, 01:38:48 PM »
The Command Platoon is mandatory. You must take one and you can't take more than one. Which is a shame 'cause I'd like to have a duplicate in some lists hehe.

"You know the other team is f'd when we're using military hand signals to communicate  :P" -My Buddy Himitsu

Offline BlueFox

• The Wolf Den
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2008, 04:21:42 PM »
The only two/three armies i dislike to both play against and/or as are as follows:

Necrons: I HATE how they are so difficult to kill, especially when a Monolith is around, the ability to revive a squad when theres only 1 guy left by teleporting to the Monolith is a pain in the arse. Not only that, but all Gauss shots glance on a 6, meaning my AV 14 Leman Russ's are always going to be hit since most Necron squads that have been fielded are 12-15 strong! The whole res-orb thing ticks me of even more and the phase out rule is always something to not go for if you cant. (Will BE back rolls KILL the army for being so damn hard!)

I guess id never play as them since theres little to zero effort in their building and no character for their armor, they are just killing machines with no souls

Tyranids: I actually have a soft spot for the nids, indeed i dislike playing against them, but I've slowly learn how to properly kill the army without to much trouble. With 3 battle cannon shots, 3 autocannon teams, 1 heavy bolter for my HQ, a hell hound i am pretty well set against their smaller hoard units while worrying little about their big'uns until it becomes a problem. Still, i dislike them cause when they have ALOT of gaunts and Stealers, they are able to easily wipe my infantry grenadiers out and with rending, destroy their support tanks. Wing HT are always a pain since they can flank and are hard to kill

Id like to play as them, they are cool and already ive set about doing a 1000points list, a nice change to be a charging cc army instead of a shooting

Sisters: Okay, i don't TOTALLY dislike them, but the fact they have the S and T of SM, and the low cost means they can field more units with relative ease. Flamers and Meltas are a pain and since they can easily be mechanized, its a real downer when Sisters attack the tanks with melta guns and kill it whilst rhinos block LOS

Play them, nah, they are Xenohunters, and my army is always fighting them cause we use Xeno allies  :P

- Help this dragon hatch - clicks help it grow.

Offline officer kerky

• truly DISTURBED
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2008, 10:36:47 PM »
i versed a necron army the other day. i hate them they just seemed to soak up all the firepower i could through at them. the monolith was indeed a tough nut. i threw demolisher shells, lass cannon, missles, every thing that could kill it but it just wouln'd die. the best i got was to reduce the shots from the gauss arc by 1. then my friend thow's 1 missle at it and kills the monolith. necrons are now my most hated army by far
do not stand behind me for i may not follow. do not stand in front for i may not follow. do not stand next to me for the path is too narrow in fact just get lost

Offline Gerald_Tremblay

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2008, 02:18:35 AM »
Don't Crew Stunned, etc, work against those things? If not, I'm suddenly annoyed.

Crew stunned works normally, but crew shaken only affect the gauss flux arc, not the particle whip (the ordnance attack).
“There are no atheism in foxholes” isn’t an argument against atheism, it’s an argument against foxholes.  – James Morrow

Quote from: Mr.Peanut about gambling
How your blood burns each time the Arrow Game dealer returns to each Zelda game, taking rupees in exchange for LIES!

Quote from: jawmonkey about rulelawying
This is why no Imperial force is complete without the addition of full-sized brass knuckles.

Offline Scyrex Deledras

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2008, 12:35:50 PM »
Sisters: Okay, i don't TOTALLY dislike them, but the fact they have the S and T of SM, and the low cost means they can field more units with relative ease. Flamers and Meltas are a pain and since they can easily be mechanized, its a real downer when Sisters attack the tanks with melta guns and kill it whilst rhinos block LOS

Correction: Sisters DON'T have the S and T of a Space Marine (though at times I wish they did), just the same armour save. Agree with you on all other points, though, especially where heavy flamers come into the equation. Heavy flamers<Storm Troopers/Grenadiers. (Although conversely, Ive noticed in my games against Guard that infantry-heavy lists can be a pain to deal with. Lots and lots of lasguns = death for Sisters, especially when they can't roll armour saves for crap).

If I were a guard player, then I'd probably agree that Necrons are the worst opponent for them. They simply won't stay down, and their fire can mulch through infantry and tanks alike with horrible ease. For Necrons, I'd advise taking quite a few lascannons against the Monolith and hope you destroy the thing. Tyranids also have the potential to be nasty, partly because Hormagaunts can reach Guard lines quickly and munch through infantry, and partly because Nidzilla lists are insanely hard to beat.

Offline Janek Sunber

• Any job worth doing is worth dying for.
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2008, 03:04:11 PM »
Crew stunned works normally, but crew shaken only affect the gauss flux arc, not the particle whip (the ordnance attack).

Ok, I'm not suddenly annoyed, then. Good... Eh, guys. Wouldn't Rough Riders be a good choice against Necrons, by the way? The lances...
Star Wars Galaxies Character: - Caffran Cloudrunner (Stormtrooper, Server: Starsider)
                                            - Friszk Fizzlebolt (Trandoshan Warsmith, Server: Starsider)

Vassal 40k Name:                   - Caffran Cloudrunner

If you roleplay, I'm more than happy to play online with you!

Offline Gerald_Tremblay

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2008, 03:15:13 PM »
Eh could be, but only for one round and against a squad wich is out of range of an orb.
“There are no atheism in foxholes” isn’t an argument against atheism, it’s an argument against foxholes.  – James Morrow

Quote from: Mr.Peanut about gambling
How your blood burns each time the Arrow Game dealer returns to each Zelda game, taking rupees in exchange for LIES!

Quote from: jawmonkey about rulelawying
This is why no Imperial force is complete without the addition of full-sized brass knuckles.

Offline Ishan

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 03:18:22 PM »
Wow why does everyone have a problem facing necrons???

I've had a problem with them only once, that was because my opponent fielded two monoliths  :'(

But other then that I can always phase them out by the end of turn 4. The only thing that I really hate about the crons are their wraiths over anything else. The 3+ invul, move through cover w/ no penalties, and a 12" move  :'( they chew my infantry like no tomorrow.

Offline sniperjolly

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2008, 04:31:31 PM »
the 3+ invul save doesent do much to make lasguns any less effective ap 2 or ap -... it dosen't matter
Of course eldar can't win this challenge because as everyone knows, eldar are cheesy.
-Gwaihir
In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war. It's a common misconception. As it turns out, in the grim darkness of the far future there is a lot of backbreaking labor and even more busywork. It's mostly those two things. War is a distant third.

Offline Ailaros

• Why do the poutiest guys get the biggest guns?
    • my webpage
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2008, 04:34:47 PM »
Yeah, I've never had problems against necron either. In the end, the monolith is still just an AV 14 vehicle, and though they have the chance to get back up, they can only take so many hits with ordnance before they phase out. Given their short range firepower and the fact that cover still works against necron weapons, I really don't know what all the fuss is about.

Visit my My Battle Report Archive.
Winner of the 2007 "Best Writer of Articles", "Strategic Excellence", and "Imperial Guard Poster of the Year" awards.

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2008, 11:41:12 AM »
I hate facing Tau Jump Suit armies.

I have a regular opponent who has 2 min sized Fire warrior squads, 1 pathfinder squad all with Marker lights, and he just jumps out of area terrain cover and back behind area terrain every turn and I cant target him effectively.

Mortars do little damage because of their low Ap and the board isnt big enough to make a Basilisk indirect fire because most of the time his units would be within minimum range... GRRRR

I cant combat it with Guard

Offline Ishan

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2008, 05:25:05 PM »
@ Valar: I used to play Tau and the way your opponent fights with his tau is something very close in how I played mine. Could you PM me your IG list so I can see what you have and give you a few pointers on how to fight them properly.

Offline Nihilanth

• My Gaming Blog
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2008, 06:49:57 PM »
Necrons are a pain in the ass to fight with the guard. They're practically unstoppable. I recently nearly won a game against them (technically a tie, but I had ~50 more VP), but only because I got lucky and glanced a monolith with a lascannon in turn 1, so that it only had that one weapon to fire, which it unsuccessfully spent the rest of its (short) life firing on my demolisher.

Fluff-wise... I like all of 'em! Actually CSM bothers me a little bit. Why don't they ever run out of men? ...and do they not grow old and die?

hmm, i'm assuming you got a weapon destroyed result when hitting that monolith but that doesnt destroy any of its weapons, just reduces the number of shots that it gets on it's gauss flux arc by 1.  not much on the damage charts do much to stop a monolith other than a vehicle destroyed result.
Then my opponent must have made a mistake because he said he only had the whip left, which he unsuccessfully attempted to destroy a demolisher with until I finally penetrated the monolith.

EDIT: If you read that before the edit, nevermind! I forgot that it wasn't a 5th edition game.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 06:51:26 PM by Nihilanth »