News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rookie Mistakes with IG  (Read 8324 times)

Offline Dr_Ruminahui

• General | Missing: a title, and smilies
  • Ancient
  • Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
    • Some of my painted minis
Re: Rookie Mistakes with IG
« Reply #120 on: May 3, 2007, 01:02:21 AM »
I think both Pax and Catachan are onto something here - some choices are appropriate for an experienced player and not for a rookie,  Sure, a light infantry army is great, and I say kuddos to Sheepz for giving it the time to know how to use it.  Myself, I've had a similar experience with guard, where because I field a large block of conscripts, I really don't have the number of heavy weapons other guard lists have.  Still, I'm not sure I would have stuck it out unless I really liked the way my buys looked when painted.

So, I don' think people were saying "never do this" but rather, in the context of this thread, that a new player shouldn't do these things.

Myself, my list hasn't really changed (other than adding units) since I started, so I haven't had anything to add.  That said, I take a number of what people might consider a sub-optimal choices (full vox network, heroic officer and not honotifica, no iron discipline or close combat drill, a full mix of heavy weapons [including a mortar] meanign very few lascannons, a russ with a lascannon, sanctioned psychers, stormie vets with plasma pistols in my suicide squads, special weapons squads with mixed weapons, lots of flamers (7 in 2000 points) and perhaps my conscripts could be included in this list as well).  Indeed, I'm sure if I posted a list here it would be pretty much panned.  All of these were conscious choices on my part, usually (but not always) made from a modelling perspective.  It has taken some time for me to use them for their best benefit.  However, they are not thing that I would suggest a rookie do.

One thing I disagree with, however, is the condemnation of flamers.  I find them highly effective - of course, having played sisters of battle for about 4 years previous to my moving to guard, I feel I am fairly adept at making good use of them.  I feel that when the 4 flamers kill more than the 72 lasgun shots in my conscripts squad, I find my choice vindicated.  And yes, orks are tough to tackle with flamers - they work best when you can issolate a squad and hammer it.  With orks, that is tough to do.

And Pax, a LR Crusader does carry 8 termies - I'm not sure why they rounded up.  It did in Armageddon as well.

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
The rules forum rules - no spamming, no flaming, no playing devil's advocate
------
2007: Tied for Most Valuable Non-Staff Member (with Full Metal Geneticist)
2008: Nicest Member, Strategic Excellence, Best Imperial Guard Poster, Rules Expert
2009: Best Local
2010: Nicest Member, Rules Expert

40KO IG Best painted - Storm troopers & Chimera

Offline Prod

• Lascannon sNob
« Reply #121 on: May 3, 2007, 02:01:27 AM »
Sheepz:
I'd just like to point out that if you deploy 13-19" from an enemy Land Raider then you're gambling on the first turn.  Because of good ol' "Thou Shall Know No Rules Restrictions" (not my original line, I don't remember where I saw it first), you can assault after disembarking from a Land Raider.  So if your opponent gets the first turn, they may move 12", unload 2", and assault 6".  That's 20" which means that you've been assaulted.  If your command squad is assaulted, they statistically will not live.  Now, assume things go your way, and you get to assault the 6 remaining Terminators.  18 Lightning Claw attacks, 9 hit, 6 wound initially, 2 more wounds from re-rolls.  Best case scenario, the attacks were split and you get 9 WS5 PF attacks.  6 hit, 5 wound, 3.335 of those wounds remain after the invuls.  So you still have 2.665 terminators to deal with who will finish you off in the subsequent phase.  Now let's look at the other option: everyone but your HSO dead.  So you have 5 attacks and it comes out to 1.85 kills.  So you have 4.15 terminators to finsh you off in the subsequent assault phase.

My point is to accomplish your feat, you are gambling on the following ALL occurring in your favor:
-Getting the first turn.
-Destroying the Land Raider (can only occur if you deploy 18" or less), 4.175% chance of this occuring per Meltagun shot, assuming it's not obscured.
-Your opponent being stupid enough to unload his guys from exits that are close to your HQ.
-You being able to widdle down the squad to 6 guys or less.
-You having both the HSO and Commissar survive.
-And you still don't kill the entire unit, while losing all your guys. (However, you can kill more than your points worth).

That is a statistical improbability whether you like it or not.

Now then, also consider that this is ONE scenario.  What is a PF HQ going to do against Orks, Genestealers, Gaunts, Death Company, 50 man conscript platoons, 10 man CC scout squad and a PF sergeant, etc?  It's a huge gamble.  It CAN be used effectively with a combination of good tactics and great rolling, but I wouldn't recommend that a rookie starts off with something that requires such delicate attention.

Dr_Ruminahui:
My basic stigma against flamers is that they're one use weapons unless you completely annihilate the targeted unit with them.  In a tournament "Take All Comers" list, having a weapon so specialized requires very careful tactics, and still winds up with your guardsmen in assault unless your opponent is a tactical moron.  Flamers are impractical weapons to put in regular infantry squads as typically you'll put a heavy weapon in these squads and the flamer suffers from a huge range disparity.  Flamers could be great when massed against lightly armored hordes because they could completely annihilate the unit and you could avoid assault.   But, the vast majority of armies out there are MEQs, which flamers are not particularly useful against.  Taking only a few means that you'll have a unit that is effective in only some circumstances, and is out of place in your army.  Which brings me to my next rookie mistake, this one isn't just for IG:

Avoid out of place units.

Examples of out of place units which turn into a points sinks:
-Rough Riders unit in a Mechanized shooting army.  They will only be useful as a counter assault unit.  So to use them, your enemy has to have some sort of assault force, and they have to get within assault range.  Then your Rough Riders assault, do a bit of damage, and die.  Instead of those Rough Riders, you could've brought a Hellhound which complements the army nicely, has the opportunity to destroy unit before they get into assault, and can be used effectively no matter the opponent.
-CC HQ and no other CC units.  Once again, they get into combat, depending what they assault they may inflict significant casualties or they may die without doing much of anything.  Instead of tooling for CC you could've mounted them in a Chimera and given them plasma guns so you have mobile cover from the tank, a Multi-Laser and Heavy Bolter to deal with light infantry, and Plasma guns for those pesky MEQs.
-A Heavy Bolter Fire Support team and no other Heavy Bolters.  If a horde army is coming at you, where do you think the first round of fire is going?
-A Lascannon AT squad and no other Lascannons.  Same deal, except a horde army won't care but a Mechanized army sure will.
-A single Russ: once again, fire magnet, likely to get completely wiped out in the first turn of enemy shooting.
-A single Basilisk: minimum range weakness.  Assault armies will have a field day with this one.  2 Basilisks can effectively cover minimum ranges on a 6x4 table.

The only exceptions to this is suicide units or a tough ranged unit that is out of place with a CC army.  The ranged unit can provide some cover fire as the assault forces advance. 
Suicide units: Veterans deepstriking with Meltaguns.  They're out of place in your vanilla shooty IG army, but they can be very effective, although they're a bit of a gamble.
Ranged unit: 2 Basilisks supporting a CC IG army.  It could be argued that since there are 2, they aren't out of place.  (A better example is with my Ork army.  I take a Looted Russ to cover my advance with Battlewagons and wartrukks.  The opponent is forced to split fire among my Russ and the advancing units.  Since they're all armored, it could be argued that it's not really out of place as well.)
Imperial Guard: 8-1-1
IG+BA Ownage Team: 2-0-0
Orks: 5-3-2
Ork+BA Ownage Team: 0-0-0

Offline CheeseThief

• Major
« Reply #122 on: May 3, 2007, 02:15:06 AM »
I don't see the problem with having a Land Raider charge you down and disgorge its contence first turn to assault a cheap as chips squad infiltrated ahead of your lines. So long as your not stupid and there is nothing near it, the Assault Troops are now out of their transport and will be another turn or two before they can get to your main troops. Lets not forget that our lovely terminators will be sitting in LOS of every gun in your force if you did it right.

Like hell thats a statistical problem, its a tactical triumph.

Offline Prod

• Lascannon sNob
« Reply #123 on: May 3, 2007, 04:06:37 AM »
The melta guns are great.  The powerfists are a questionable use of points.
Imperial Guard: 8-1-1
IG+BA Ownage Team: 2-0-0
Orks: 5-3-2
Ork+BA Ownage Team: 0-0-0

Offline CheeseThief

• Major
« Reply #124 on: May 3, 2007, 08:58:13 AM »
Powerfists are overpriced and crap, only used by people either looking for something fancy and new, or porting over from an MEQ army were they are actually good.

Hitting tanks and I can get an Autocannon for cheaper which will do a better job. Infantry that don't kill the squad off before the fist gets swung can usually be handled with the much, MUCH cheaper power sword.

Another Newbie Mistake, taking powerfists for effectiveness.

Offline Major. Witham

• Major
  • 'Sound off like you got a pair!'
« Reply #125 on: May 3, 2007, 10:29:17 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, its not as if power fists are awful - theyre just fine in the correct circumstances - its more a case of that I can think of loads of stuff that is a better investment for 20pts.

Dont bother taking them for hitting tanks - its much cheaper just to equip the entire squad with Krak grenades in order to get a series of Str6 + D6 hits on a vehicle, or get a melta bomb(s) if you really want a close combat tank killer.
"Sir! Looks like were surrounded!"

"Were Drop Troops soldier - Were supposed to be surrounded!"

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #126 on: May 3, 2007, 10:39:55 AM »
Power Fists are only useful on Commissars.  And even then just one is a good idea.

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline Imperial Kelly

« Reply #127 on: May 3, 2007, 03:03:44 PM »
i take a powerfist on my hidden commisar every game.  He just sits out of LOS with the rest of the command squad being a nice LD bump.  The only point of the powerfist is to be around if an assaulty army tries to overrun my lines.  An assaulting squad would need to do 10 unsaved wounds to kill him off before he gets strike backs, so he probably will, and kill most things on 2+ instead of 5+.

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
« Reply #128 on: May 3, 2007, 03:42:49 PM »
I have 3 powerfists and 4 Power Weapons in 1500.

I'd just like to point out that if you deploy 13-19" from an enemy Land Raider then you're gambling on the first turn.  Because of good ol' "Thou Shall Know No Rules Restrictions" Blah blah blah.

As I said before. One bout of theoryhammer to show what a Command HQ is capbable of. Hell, I've done it with a Veteran Squad against 5 Terminators and a Landraider. Powerfists are awesome against non MEQ's. An aspect squad, side armour of a Chimera, Dark Eldar Squads, Orks.

What is a PF HQ going to do against Orks, Genestealers, Gaunts, Death Company, 50 man conscript platoons, 10 man CC scout squad and a PF sergeant, etc?  It's a huge gamble.  It CAN be used effectively with a combination of good tactics and great rolling, but I wouldn't recommend that a rookie starts off with something that requires such delicate attention.

The Command Squad does welll against Orks, Gaunts, Scouts and Conscripts. Apply common sense. Am I really gonna throw my Command HQ into an unwinnable battle with a huge gamble because they can? Not really. And no, I don't recommend any rookie try to pull off a trick. However, if we're saying the concept of taking powerfists is something a "Pro" wouldn't do, something only a rookie would do or whatever, then I'm saying otherwise. I think the powerfist is an awesome piece of kit, as are most things in the IG codex.

Offline Archon_Yggdrisil

• That....was METAL!
« Reply #129 on: May 3, 2007, 03:55:08 PM »
I take a powerfist JO, but only because it came in my  Vostroyan Officers blister pack.

However, against anything with higher initiative and not tooled out for combat, it's a prime choice. Kill one devestator, and you've made your points back.

There are better uses for the points, but PFs aren't useless.

Life is not measured by the moments in which we breath. Life is measured by the moments that take our breath away. -Carlin