News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Blood Angels: Terminator Liberian or Gabriel Seth  (Read 1397 times)

Offline rushdrill

• "Prais be to... Ouch! That hurt!"
Blood Angels: Terminator Liberian or Gabriel Seth
« on: July 7, 2011, 09:31:22 PM »
Blood Angels: Terminator Liberian or Gabriel Seth

Hi I am building a list & need some opinions of who will work better in general as a HQ for a Blood Angels army. I am already taking one Standard Liberian, but for the second HQ in a 2500 pt list I am not sure. I have the points for Seth, right now I have the army built with the Terminator Liberian at 2467pts. So I can add Seth & Drop the Term. Lib., or do I need to have two Lib's to have the army work better in general.

For the cost Gabriel Seth outweighs a Liberians stat line hands down with some additional Special rules to boot. I just used Seth this week in a 1500 pt game & was very pleased. Anyway I can post the list if needed, or if it will help but I am looking in general are more psychic powers better for your army than having the raw power of Gabriel Seth lead your Blood Angels.

Thanks in advance.

-Dan
"Life leads you, you don't lead life."

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Blood Angels: Terminator Liberian or Gabriel Seth
« Reply #1 on: July 7, 2011, 11:42:48 PM »
Posting the list would help...Libbys also buff the squad they are with (more specifically preferred enemy) where as Seth does his own direct damage. At 2500, it doesn't really matter. The Libby would be more useful, but Seth adds flavor. Also depending on the squad, other HQs can prove to be MORE useful than Seth or another Libby. If the unit is in a storm raven, Astorath can go in there too. High strength PW attacks that makes the target reroll successful invuls can be very powerful. He also gives re-rolls to hit on the charge. So posting the list would help us help you better.

Offline rushdrill

« Reply #2 on: July 8, 2011, 09:52:14 AM »
The List: without Seth

HQ-
Terminiator Lib.
Lib

Elite-
Terminiator Sang Priest
Sang Priest

Troops-
Assault Squad x10
x2 Flamers
Sgt w/t Power Weapon
-Dedicated Transport-
Land Raider Redeemer w/t Multi-Melta

Troops-
Assault Squad x10
x2 Flamers
Sgt w/t Power Weapon & Infermo Pistol
-Dedicated Transport-
Land Raider Crusader w/t Multi-Melta

Troops-
Scout Squad x7
x6 Sniper Rifles, x1 Rocket & all Camo

Auxiliary Troops-
Death Company x10

Auxiliary Troops-
Death Company Dreadnought

Auxiliary Troops-
Death Company Dreadnought w/t Heavy Flamer
-Dedicated Transport-
Drop Pod

Heavy Support-
x5 Devesators, x4 Rocket
-Dedicated Transport-
Razorback w/t twin Heavy Flamers

Honor Guard-
x5 Honor Guard, x5 Melta
-Dedicated Transport-
Drop Pod

Honor Guard-
x5 Honor Guard, x5 Melta
-Dedicated Transport-
Drop Pod
« Last Edit: July 8, 2011, 09:54:20 AM by rushdrill »

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: July 8, 2011, 08:22:09 PM »
The List: without Seth

HQ-
Terminiator Lib.
Lib
Why the termie armor? You have no termies and this will cause the unit it is with to be unable to sweeping advance.

Elite-
Terminiator Sang Priest
Sang Priest
Same as above. Certainly keep two priests though.

Troops-
Assault Squad x10
x2 Flamers
Sgt w/t Power Weapon
-Dedicated Transport-
Land Raider Redeemer w/t Multi-Melta
Assault vehicles transporting assault units should really take extra armor. Stuns happen more often than you would think.

Troops-
Assault Squad x10
x2 Flamers
Sgt w/t Power Weapon & Infermo Pistol
-Dedicated Transport-
Land Raider Crusader w/t Multi-Melta
Same as above. Needs Extra amor. You could drop the infernus pistol to get the points.

Troops-
Scout Squad x7
x6 Sniper Rifles, x1 Rocket & all Camo
Sort of out of place in this list. Also rather small and weak. I would consider 10 models and combat squad. You are pretty light on scoring units for such a large point size.

Auxiliary Troops-
Death Company x10
No ride to negate rage? No chaplain for double rerolls of awesome? No special weapons?I would put these guys in one of the LRs and let the assault marines jump pack behind it. I would actually suggest a raven instead to carry the dread as well.

Auxiliary Troops-
Death Company Dreadnought
Have fun being rage kited across the table and blown up before it gets to assault. I at least give them a drop pod. This way it is at least in the opponents face as a threat before it blows up. Land, pop smoke, and cross your fingers.

Auxiliary Troops-
Death Company Dreadnought w/t Heavy Flamer
-Dedicated Transport-
Drop Pod
I generally don't take any upgrades. As soon as I land I pop smoke to hopefully survive until the next turn to assault.

Heavy Support-
x5 Devesators, x4 Rocket
-Dedicated Transport-
Razorback w/t twin Heavy Flamers
Good unit, but small in numbers in such a large point game. The enemy can take them out very easy. The RB is a bit wasted with the HF. Light armor plus close range = dead with meltas and fists being close by. I would drop the RB to either save points or fill out the squad. Sometimes I'll give a dev squad a drop pod, just to sway the ratio for other things to drop on turn one. Remember, they don't have to go in the drop pod when deployed :)

Honor Guard-
x5 Honor Guard, x5 Melta
-Dedicated Transport-
Drop Pod

Honor Guard-
x5 Honor Guard, x5 Melta
-Dedicated Transport-
Drop Pod
Two melta suicide units are a waste. I would drop one, if not both, to free up points for the rest of the list. You can make up the melta shots in other places.

Based on the list I don't think you NEED two Libbys. You specially don't need the termie armor considering you don't even have any termies to go with. It keeps you from making sweeping advances. There are a lot of other things the list really needs before I can suggest a 2nd HQ. You may not have the points left after the fixes.

Offline rushdrill

« Reply #4 on: July 8, 2011, 09:45:24 PM »
Thanks for the edit, but I am not asking for a list review. I have a specific roll for all the units, I was particularly asking about taking Seth or a Lib in Term Armour. & the pro's/con's. I know how to play my army & know what my weaknesses are.

For I forgot to mention that I am taking Locator Beacons with the Honor Guard Drop pods. Also the point of the Honor Guard is to waste them, they actually will survive longer than you think & will take the heat off my defense for openers. If I can get their points out of them by using them strategically that is fine. I will be Deep Striking my land raiders where they need to go hopefully without scattering because drop pods without units don't seem as much of a threat & will most likely be overlooked initially. If I don't take the Seth I was thinking to increasing my Scout Snipers to 9 to give me more body on ground & more shots on high toughness. This defense Scoring unit is going to hold with the Heavy Support & the Death Company/Dred. The Razorback is to hold as well & will not start the game occupied. This gives me a target for my opponent to shoot at/ or a Heavy flamer to support units that come to close. This is strictly a quick Defend & Attack List that gets in the face of my opponent quickly.

So If you are terribly inserting that this is not effective that is fine. But what counts in the majority of the games is your scoring units & where they are. A Simple question had turned into an Inquisition. 

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: July 8, 2011, 10:09:13 PM »
Well you asked an opinion on an HQ. I can't answer the question about the HQ unless I saw the rest of your list. In seeing it, neither will really matter because of the flaws in your list. There would be better HQ options.

With only those two pods and 10 guys coming in first turn, your beacons may not even last long enough for your reserves to come in near them. Whatever else you start on the table only the four measly MLs will be able to support them. A smart player can/will kills those 10 honor guard and two pods very quickly.

You do realize you won't be able to "hold" anything with units that have rage right? They have to constantly move towards the closest visible enemy. Unless you play with a lot of LOS blocking stuff. So they make a terrible defensive unit.

No inquisition here. You asked about your HQs, but your list doesn't support either choice. So in the end, take what you want regardless of our opinions since it doesn't matter then.

Offline rushdrill

« Reply #6 on: July 8, 2011, 10:58:36 PM »
Sorry for being so hard on you. I'm not trying to use the Death Company for anything accept cover & a target for my opponent shoot at.  I want them to run at the enemy & die they will buy me a turn or two so I can hit where it counts with what I have to slow down my opponent.

The Honor Guard will be worth their points, I have used them before & had tremendous luck with them. The assault marines will not need jump packs in this list & will give me a discount on the Land Raiders, & I will be able to play the rope' de' dope, where I use the two assault squads together to support each other. If one squad can't sweep advance the other can. I can't be all over the table at the same time, but if I concentrate on Attack & Defend; loose what I can loose I will be fine. I also use the old OOP land raiders modified with current weapons so I will have a smaller Deep Strike area.This will allow a more effect troop placement, so Extra Armour is a waste of points for my army. I'll still be able to shoot a weapon system & I should be in a position to make it count & unload my troops where I need them to be. The Razorback is a bit out of place but can block LOS for the Dred if needed & add to flamer defense options for horde armies. I agree with you the Devastators are small & I would like to take a full squad but 80 points I don't have to spare on a unit that is for all purposes expendable.

From all this I will most likely run this list for play testing with two additional Scouts. Elements of this list may surprise.

Offline [sic] sauer

• Spamming Mon-keigh
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 02:24:05 AM »
Who are you?

I think terminator librarians get some cool points from doing something incongruous like joining a PA squad.  Seth works well as an HQ for a Flesh Tearers army.

Really, how did you get like this?
Mist the florist for the bees; I am your gynentomologist, kicada killa 4 rice.