News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Sternguards and Vanguards finecasts. Should I?  (Read 1059 times)

Offline dalaran1991

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Sternguards and Vanguards finecasts. Should I?
« on: July 11, 2011, 05:34:43 AM »
I'm a huge fan of these guys since they were still metals. Got 2 boxes of sternguards and 1 vanguards (mostly just for show. They don't actually pay off in combat) Now that GW is offering them in finecast I won't be able to resist it. I remember the frustration when my vanguards always fall on their heavy-metal jumpacks no matter how many coins I stick under their bases. The metals also are frequently warped and some parts just don't fit together.

Now, I'm hearing a lot of complaints from the finecasts discussion thread. I'm also ordering online since I have no car, so making exchanges will be hard. Has anyone bought these new finecasts (I mean specifically the sternguards and vanguards models?) Are they really better than the metals one? (lighter, more details and no warped/bent cast) I'm buying them for painting/modelling/showcasing only so quality is definitely important. They're really expensive now so I want to make a good choice. Thanks :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 06:01:00 AM by dalaran1991 »

Offline pheonix lord slinjak

• Ork Yoof
  • Farseer,daemon prince
Re: Sternguards and Vanguards finecasts. Should I?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 05:40:59 AM »
type in citadel finecast review and there will be lots of reviews from people who have bought them
ive ordered some finecast but they havent arrived yet so i cant say but ill let u knw when they arive
"you have slain millions of innocent eldar and have waged war against the galaxy why should we show you mercy" Farseer Corru-shala

Offline Rems

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 06:53:58 AM »
I've bought some finecast sternguard and they were wonderful. No huge miscasts at all, just a little bubble on the side of the foot of one marine- easily coverable with basing materials. There were a few other very tinny bubbles but with paint on they're unnoticeable. The smaller details like all the little chains and icons are really crisp and really show. Not to mention they're so light and easy to glue together. Being resin convertable too.

There was quite a lot of flash though, but that is dead easy to remove. The smaller, thinner pieces like the slings on the guns feel very fragile, however that could just be me and they havn't broke, i was just worried they might not being metal.

Overall i'd say they are certainly worth it.

Offline The Master of Eternity

• Those that do not fight, die.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 05:42:34 PM »
Sorry for the bump but my friend just bought some and they were horribly cast. Bubbles and thick flash. I guess its the luck of the draw.

Thats what you get by increasing prices and decreasing costs, the eternal machine of GW shall grind forth!
You are not free, those whose liberty is won by the rigor of other men. You are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, taking but offering nothing in return. You have freedom, but have done nothing to earn it. You will stand alone, and pay in blood. Know this and remember: my power knows no bounds save for that which is given to me through His mightiness the Omnissiah and most Holy Emperor of Mankind. ~ Forge Master Mordikai before the fall of Agridora

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 08:23:16 PM »
I have seen many fine casts since their release. Some are great, so are ok and fixable. Some are horrible. For now, it seems like you roll the dice with every purchase. I am personally waiting a while before I get a finecast. Giving them time to work out the kinks.

Offline dalaran1991

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 11:44:54 PM »
Thanks guys. Guess I'll have to wait a while and pray the Emperor he doesn't deliver me some miscasts :)