News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ork Army List, Please Review  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
  • Armies: Malifaux :P
Ork Army List, Please Review
« on: December 9, 2008, 01:33:45 AM »
Hey guys, another attempt at a 1000pt Army List, hopefully I've come up with the right idea by now.  So here's the list, it's up for any scrutiny or praise anyone can throw at it, so go ahead. Thanks in advance.

HQ
Warboss Mraggrarg
- Power Klaw
- Shoota
- 'Eavy Armour
- Cybork Body
- Attack Squig
- Bosspole
Total: 120pts.

Elites
Burna Boyz (x5)
Total: 75pts.

Troops
Slugga Boyz Mob (x20)
- Nob Leader
- Power Klaw
- Bosspole
Sub-total: 160pts.

Slugga Boyz Mob (x20)
- Nob Leader
- Power Klaw
- Bosspole
Sub-total: 160pts.

Slugga Boyz Mob (x19)
- Nob Leader
- Power Klaw
Sub-total: 149pts.

Total: 469pts.

Fast Attack
Warbikerz (x4)
- Nob Leader
- Power Klaw
- Bosspole
Total: 140pts.

Heavy Support
Battlewagon
- Big Shoota (x2)
- Deff Rolla
- Armour Plates
- Grot Riggers
Sub-total: 135pts.

Big Gunz (x3)
- Kannons
- Ammo Runts (x2)
Sub-total: 66pts.

Total: 204pts.

Grand Total: 1005pts.

The basic idea is for the Warboss to join the 19 man boyz squad and hop in the battlewagon, which I'll deploy accordingly so as to avoid as much incoming fire as possible. I will deploy the bikerz (who will take on a tank hunting role) somewhere closest to the most threatening enemy vehicle, or if none exists on the board yet, I will place it somewhere I think it will come useful. The two remaining boyz squads and the burna boyz will deploy regularily in order to capture objectives or counter advancing enemy infantry. The battlewagon will move up with/without the bikerz and try to take cover so as to stay alive as long as possible. The boyz and burnas will advance behind cover to keep their numbers high, the burnas behind the boyz for extra protection. The battlewagon will move to drop off the warboss and boyz to counter any threats, and the battlewagon will continue on to tank shock or ram anything that gets in its way. Should I play a Capture and Control, I would use the battlewagon to ferry a unit back to my base should I not be able to capture the enemy's or win by Wipe Out!

The army consists of 8 kill points.

I like to think of my army as a mixture of Goffs and Evil Sunz, liking the colour red and wanting to get as close to the enemy as quickly as possible, but relishing combat even more, preferign the good ol' choppa over a shoota any day. Their warboss, Mraggrarg, is an outcast of the Goffs, who started up his own Warband, accepting others from the Evil Sunz and fellow ex-Goffs. Mraggrarg is a rising power in the galaxy, having only a few encounters with both Space Marines and Eldar, learning much from their battles, and developing new ways to combat them in his scheming and devious mind.
« Last Edit: December 9, 2008, 01:41:10 AM by Saracenar »

Offline Badb Catha

• My way isn't very sportsmanlike...
Re: Ork Army List, Please Review
« Reply #1 on: December 9, 2008, 03:13:32 AM »
You know... I really like it.  I like the feel of the army, I like the fast and hard elements of the army, and I like your fluff for the army.  Personally, I like Burnas, but generally I think Lootas are better.  The Burnas look cool, and fit better with a Goffy theme, but I think the Lootas pair rather well with the brutal fire-base you've got set up.  But, I can see why you would choose burnas (as they're just so much cooler).  You're 5 points over, so you should choose what it's gonna be.  I would just lose the second Big Shoota on the 'Wagon, but you could also ditch two Ammo Runts.  All in all: cool list, now I want some battle-reports! 

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 09:18:42 AM »
It seems like a solid list...  I rana  very similiar list myself for a long time...  I think you get that your BW is going to get blown to kingdom come very early on...  I would try to protect it, but make sure you are always driving it full towards the enemy, so you are not forced to disembark on your side...

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 06:26:07 PM »
Okay, as requested, here's my review:

-----------------------------

1/ Army composition
Good solid core of troops, not too many kill points, good combined arms.  Only downside is a lack of variety in the troops.  7/10

2/ Unit upgrades
Good unit upgrades.  Simple, to the point.  Only two downsides are the 'eavy Armour on the Warboss (I don't think it's worth it, personally), and not having 3 Ammo Runts or extra Krew on the Gun Battery (manditory, in my opinion).  9/10

3/ Army concept
Good theme, but doesn't really conform completely with the Evil Sunz theme completely (though explained via the ex-Goff Warboss).  Still, there's a theme, and I like it.  7/10

4/ Tactical overview
Well sorted with your tactics.  I'm a bit worried that the small Burna Mob won't do much, but if hidden in the mass of Slugga Boyz they might survive to get into combat.  But I disgress, nothing much to improve on here.  9/10

5/ Army list layout
Clear and precise.  But over points.  6/10

6/ Army pictures
None.  0/10

Total: 38/60.  Good list.

Biggest problem is the broken points limit.  Sort that out and you'll score 42/60.  Get some pictures and you'll be firmly into a 'Great List' result.  But overall a great effort.

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
  • Armies: Malifaux :P
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 08:11:04 PM »
Thanks a bunch! I would have put some pictures up but I hadnt finished my battlewagon until just this morning, and I wanted to get the army list up ASAP. Originally the burna mob was larger and I had ammo runts with the Kannons, but I must have made a miscalculation somewhere because the second time I added it up I was way over.

Pictures may come soon. I'll put them in another post but.

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 11:39:48 PM »
I'll edit my review when you do.  Throw me another PM when you've hosted the pictures and I'll give you those bonus points.

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear