News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Lord of the Rings  (Read 2911 times)

Offline Sepsis2X

Lord of the Rings
« on: February 23, 2002, 01:29:08 AM »
I was just wondering if anyone likes this game.  I got it the first day it came out, and I really am not that impressed...   :-\
"Does your passion for power consume your soul?"

Offline King Snake

• I'm not a llama!
Re:Lord of the Rings
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2002, 02:58:14 AM »
Yeah, I was thinking of collecting some of it (Especially that hella cool Balrog! Would make one helluva a Bloodthirster) but I'd like some ppls opinions on whether or not it was a good game. Since the actual game is cheap compared to Warhammer games that are 80+ bucks...

Aulan Cnesha

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2002, 04:32:48 PM »
If DE had an Avatar, thats what it would look like (the Balrog)

Offline the_Bard_72

• Kanu-rath Craftworld and Kabal of Martyred Souls
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2002, 11:52:26 PM »
I am a huge LOTR fan, and knowing that these games are only a limited production turned me off quick.  If I got into it, I'd have to know I could get every model available.  In the end, it seems more like a testing ground for new rules from what I've seen.
the Bard
Emmissary of the Kanu-rath Craftworld

Offline Sepsis2X

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2002, 05:06:54 PM »
That's what I think too.  I $40 for it and all I use it for now is to use for conversions.  A sword from the Men of Ghondor with a little green stuff is great for Storm Guardians!
"Does your passion for power consume your soul?"

Offline Tuisich-Anastari

• Raven Lord of the Alfheim Craftworld
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2002, 12:51:26 AM »
i've only played it once, but it was a lot of fun.  it's a lot faster paced than 40k and there are a lot less rules to learn...i.e. newbies can pick it up quick.  that's not to say that it is overly simple.  it plays more like mordheim in that the models aren't stuck in squads.  i suppose that makes it a skirmish game.  (note: it also seems to me that it might be a good way to recruit more gamers....quicker to pick up and has wider appeal due to LOTR's popularity....)
"A careful study of the Bible would convince many people that it is a very different
book than they assume it to be." --Loraine Boettner, The Reformed Doctrine Of Predestination

This post is dedicated to all those who never have a post dedicated to them.

Offline PsykerLord

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2002, 07:02:36 PM »
I looked @ the rulebook once and I didn't think about starting it again.  People besides Frodo had a ring!!  What about the 3 rings of the elves?  Noone even thought about making a rule for using Gandalf's or Galadriel's!
-PsykerLord

Offline Niran of Asha An

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2002, 07:05:38 PM »
maybe that's cause they are never used actively or, for that matter, in battle (except maybe gandalf's, the ring of fire).  they are rings for creating rather than for gaining power.
  I don't intend to start the game though, but conversions i can see.  i already bought a legolas for my new farseer.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2002, 07:06:42 PM by Niran of Asha An »
THERE'LL BE NO BUTTER IN HELL!

Offline Mr. Bean

• Magic!
« Reply #8 on: March 2, 2002, 05:07:14 PM »

I am a huge LOTR fan, and knowing that these games are only a limited production turned me off quick.

From what i heard the games will be in production for 8 years, according to a couple of interviews GW wants to make LOTR the third core game, although whether they will actually do what they say is another thing entirely

What about the 3 rings of the elves?  Noone even thought about making a rule for using Gandalf's or Galadriel's!
-PsykerLord

The reason why there isnt a rule for Gandalfs or Galadriels ring is that the LOTR game is a game of the Film and so only features things seen in the film. Now i dont know what version of LOTR you saw but i didnt see Gandalf or Galadriel use their rings in the film.
Ecce Homo Qui Est Farba (Behold The Man Who Is A Bean)

Offline Wolf_Lord

• I am the lord of the wolves, fear me!
« Reply #9 on: March 5, 2002, 03:35:01 PM »
I was gonna collect it and I got some models including bilbo (which over here was only availible for one weekend) and then I played one time and I had never been so BORED in my life, so now I want to get rid of my stuff (even if it meens throwing them in the bin), don't get me wrong I loved the books, liked the film but hated the game, it was a good idea but they could have mad eit a hell of alot better. Take the balrog you see it think yeah that is kick ass, but then if you never play a khazud dum senario you can't use it!! thats £40 wasted on a carppy minature like that!!!!!
"may the dark sun light your journey"

Offline King Snake

• I'm not a llama!
« Reply #10 on: March 5, 2002, 05:33:26 PM »
Well, even if you can't use it... it is in no way a "carppy" miniature. It is huge! And excellently detailed. Very true to the movie. I don't care if I can't move it around on a bloody game board, I'd put it in a glass case! I seriously think I'll get it for that purpose.

And I promise to take exactly one year of hard work to make as perfect as the GW one...

Offline Abaddon

• Well. Enough said.
« Reply #11 on: March 5, 2002, 08:53:00 PM »

so now I want to get rid of my stuff (even if it meens throwing them in the bin)

Don't throw them in the bin! send them to me if you absolutely hate them, just don't throw beautiful miniatures like that in the bin!

"You must distinguish between what is true and what is real" - Albert Einstein