News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Harlequin Revision - EO!  (Read 147770 times)

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
Re: Harlequin Revision - EO!
« Reply #380 on: November 15, 2003, 01:04:15 PM »

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #381 on: November 15, 2003, 03:07:54 PM »
I see... Nice thought. With the high point-cost of the Harlequins, retinues won't come easy though. It is hard enough to field 2x5 plus character. Now you have to have 2x5 plus character plus another five at the very least. Does this sound like a viable option?

And the re-rolls would only fail according to TAR. As they are not official yet, they still get re-rolls, as far as I can see.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Indro Tyr

• Quantity has a quality all its own.
« Reply #382 on: November 15, 2003, 04:11:53 PM »
Yes, but taking a retinue for your HQ units would eliminate the need to take units of the same type. Say for instance you currently have a roster with a unit of Warlocks. Simply take out the Warlocks and give the Shadowseer a retinue of them, eliminating the points-sink and at the same time freeing another Elites slot. As for the Great Harlequin, if you can't afford the points for a retinue simply don't take one, I never said it was mandatory. However it would still be a sound idea incase your GH suddenly is in the middle of an enemy army with no backup if he Deep Strikes. It's basicly a mirrored-list of other armies, as a few of their retinues can also be taken as seperate choices on their own, only difference is Harlequins tend to be more explensive. But anyone complaining about their points cost should talk to a Grey Knights player; I'd imagine he'd be simply laughed at.
"The time for using the knife to remove this cancer is past.  Bring forth the torch."

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #383 on: November 15, 2003, 04:34:17 PM »
Grey Knights are the same cost as a non-special-armed Harlequin, I think...
I can see the merit in the Ratinue, but the Warlocks as Retinue would unbalance that unit, and make it overpowered (since you now can have four).
I think basic Harlequins with no Leader could make an excellent Retinue, without jetbikes and such, but with the same weapons/greandes as the normal troupe. What do you say?

Offline Indro Tyr

• Quantity has a quality all its own.
« Reply #384 on: November 15, 2003, 05:15:05 PM »
Sounds great! I also made a mistake about calling the SS's retinue a Warlock retinue, I meant a Warlock Apprentice retinue, so I don't think it'd be unbalanced. If we add it we should clarify that if the squad numbers 7 models or less it may be mounted in a Venom, since the HQ choices are both Independant Characters, and it could get confusing. 
"The time for using the knife to remove this cancer is past.  Bring forth the torch."

Offline Flash_hound

« Reply #385 on: November 18, 2003, 04:49:48 PM »
I made a harliquen VDR vehicle was just wondering if you liked it and thought it might be fitting in the codex.   Although already VERRRY good.  Thanks again.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #386 on: November 19, 2003, 03:22:23 AM »
If you use the VDR it doesn't need to be in the codex; anyone can just cobble it together under the VDR. Post it in the general Harlequin forum (not in this thread) and everyone can see and try it out.

Offline EightyEight

• The Santa hat is here to stay.
About the EO revision...
« Reply #387 on: November 26, 2003, 02:55:58 AM »
Just a thought.

About the Shrieker cannon...

I think that the template should ONLY be positioned on the exploding model, but be able to be moved as long as the exploding model is still under it.

Wouldn't it seem strange if a Nob at the front of a unit dropped dead from a Shrieker in his head...
And suddenly a Grot at the back exploded and killed a few Orks?
Are we as offensive as we might be?

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #388 on: November 26, 2003, 05:55:14 AM »
That makes sense. The wording needs to be tightened up a bit, I guess.

Offline EightyEight

« Reply #389 on: November 27, 2003, 03:24:27 AM »
Just another thought...

On the Mimes.
They do notget the advantages of the Holo-suit, Flip belts or Mask of Fear.
Would this mean that the Mimes have no save?
*checks rules*
Yep, thay have no save listed, so without Flip belts and Holo-suits they have no save and T3...

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #390 on: November 28, 2003, 04:52:49 AM »
That is correct. They only get what they pay for.

Offline EightyEight

« Reply #391 on: November 29, 2003, 05:53:29 AM »
Gah!!!

Oh, well. They're only ten points.
*sigh* :P

Offline Karan Avten

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #392 on: November 30, 2003, 01:22:39 PM »
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with that for ten points you get a T3 no armor save.  Thats just rediculus CWE Guardians are fewer points and they have at least an armor save and the DE Warriors are just as cheap as the Guardians and they have a better WS & BS then the Guardians yet in mind I think that the Shruiken Catapult is a better weapon then a Splinter Rifle.  So if you decide that they don't get an armor save then they should be reduced down in points to like 5-6.  Well thats just what I think.

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #393 on: November 30, 2003, 01:33:46 PM »
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with that for ten points you get a T3 no armor save.  Thats just rediculus CWE Guardians are fewer points and they have at least an armor save and the DE Warriors are just as cheap as the Guardians and they have a better WS & BS then the Guardians yet in mind I think that the Shruiken Catapult is a better weapon then a Splinter Rifle.  So if you decide that they don't get an armor save then they should be reduced down in points to like 5-6.  Well thats just what I think.

But this 10 point squad can infiltrate, has a basic 3 attacks each, can have 2 power weapons in the squad or 2 kisses in the squad, and if lead by a master mime can have mime disruption.  That is definately not worth 5-6 points, 10 is good; as long as they have backup in combat, and don't get shot at.
Tolaren 23rd Grenadiers - Jonik's Imperial Guard 'Tale'
Chariots of the Dead - Jonik's Tomb Kings 'Tale'

My BfSP Dwarfs in exchange for your BfSP Goblins! PM me! I'm still looking!

Offline monkeyman7679

« Reply #394 on: February 24, 2004, 07:52:17 PM »
WELL....
Rasmus, I must commend you on your magnificent codex. I can honestly say I've never seen anything quite as good regarding the Harlequins.

I'm just wondering on the status of the Army Builder update for this incredible new list. It was mentioned that it was close, but that was months ago.

If there is still trouble with the Eldar Allies, could you possibly release a version without it, and then release the rest later?

Really looking forward to it, whenever it comes.

Congrats to all of you who worked on this.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #395 on: February 26, 2004, 01:09:48 PM »
1. It isn't my revision. It is EO's revision. I just organised it a bit.
2. I have heard NOTHING about the armybuilder-file, and have assumed whoever was working on it has long since stopped. Sorry.

Offline monkeyman7679

« Reply #396 on: February 26, 2004, 06:28:58 PM »
I just thought of a new idea for the warlocks. In several articles of fluff, ive heard of warlocks using Creidan (sp?) grenade launchers.
They seem to be a sort of backpack grenade launcher, and i was wondering if they could be implemented into the list, maybe like a cyclone missile launcher.

Maybe something like this.

Creidan Grenade launcher: many warlocks are known to carry a back mounted grenade launcher to augment their ranged capabilities. The GL replaces their shuriken pistol. Although it is back mounted, the controller device takes up one hand. other than this, it is treated in all respects as a grenade launcher, firing either frag or krak grenades.

Another thought, sorta like the one above, was if we were to make that, to change the frags to plasmas, just make them S3 AP5 instead of S3 AP6?

Also, one thing i never really liked about the Harlequins were the Hallucinigen grenades. They never seemed to play like they do in the fluff. In the game inquisitor, they were much more fully develolped, and i thought that we could make up some cool rules for them.

Some of the effects from the inquisitor game are:
The affected character thinks there is a giant wurm crawling up his leg, and shoot himself (great fun for all)

He thinks the gas is toxic, and drops dead, although he really isnt, he just thinks he is.

He thinks he can fly, and spends a turn flapping his arms like wings. If he is above ground, he jumps off.

The character thinks he is invisible and walks around, making faces at other characters.

these are just a few, and if we were to implement maybe just one of these, Harlies would suddenly become a cooler army, just fon the funny factor.

Any thoughts?

PS, it might be too late to make any changes, but i got into this late, so just adding my two bits worth.

Also, Ive downloaded the construction kit for AB, and im working on making my own files seeing as whats his face isnt finished yet.
This will be my first time making files, so im not promising a miracle, but Ill try.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 08:01:08 PM by monkeyman7679 »

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #397 on: February 27, 2004, 05:53:50 AM »
The belief-maker (creidan) is allready in the list, if you look for it. It is pack greande launcher and is a feature of jump-belt-equipped troupes, and Warlocks.

Offline monkeyman7679

« Reply #398 on: February 27, 2004, 06:10:46 PM »
Oh yeah, forgot about that.

Any thoughts about Halucinogen grenades.

Offline EightyEight

« Reply #399 on: February 27, 2004, 06:44:12 PM »
Not specifically about the grenades, but a Harlequin Revision Armybuilder file would be nice, and those grenades in Inquisitor sound hilarious!
The sad thing is, those things would probably be to hard to implement in a big game like 40k. In Inquisitor it's fine, as there are only a few characters on the board.

But seeing a big Warboss and retinue go flappng round like birds and jumping off buildings would be a sight to remember...

Can someone PM me on how to use the AB construction kit? I got the demo to see if I could make some extra units, but I couldn't make head nor tail of it.