News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Iyanden Warhost Project Log.  (Read 3598 times)

Offline samzor

• Refuse Bot Malfunction! Quick cheese it!
  • Armies: Eldar
Iyanden Warhost Project Log.
« on: March 5, 2013, 12:26:52 PM »
With the next eldar codex being hopefully only 3-4 months away im going through the stuff i havent painted yet.

I used kuler to tweak the base colours of iyanden scheme. I wanted yellow but not as much in the mid tones. I wanted a hint of orange or even a 'tau brown'

For this project i want to paint about 30 guardians, 3 warlocks, 3 heavy weapons platforms.

In the end i settled on VMC ochre brown as a good base colour. For darker panels id blend through to pure VMC german camo brown and fill recesses with combinations of VMC Burnt umber (and various amounts of chaos black).

Highlights would uniformly go to a desaturated yellow: VGC golden yellow (not a very rich yellow however it will work according to kuler and approximate matching of hex codes. Extreme highlights placed sparingly would be white.

The blue would be VGC ultramarine blue with a wash made from GW Kantor blue or possibly Drakenhof Nightshade (the asureman blue).

Other areas of the models would be VGC bonewhite with added german camo brown for shading.

Unlike my wraithguard foot list i have a goal to get 1000-1200 points painted by june.  *not spend all year on a handful of models that kids keep picking up and dropping while i try to play a game*

So it was going to be tabletop quality most of the way through.

The guardians guns are just washed with 1 drop black + 3 drops Vallejo medium thinner + 1 drop water  *im using this instead of the GW wash which has different qualities for blacklining.

To complement mostly guardians i did some of the old ranger/pathfinder models. I will probably tie them in closer to the iyanden scheme when iv'e done the rest of the guardians.

The warlock is a multi-army unit. I have my purple eldar favouring blue HQ's and characters. I want them to go with the iyanden too hopefully like blue jems in a see of orange/yellow/matte blue helmets.

The warlock has a higher paint job quality however i made a few mistakes because i was tired over the 3 painting sessions it took to complete. Most notable is the crystal spear which could have been done a bit neater. Then i flipping dropped it just after it was painted and had to rescue the tip which was going to peel.

So far  i have done a few things that tie into the army theme:

10 guardians (current work)
2 warlocks (half finished)
6 pathfinders (finished in january)
3 warwalkers (test run colour scheme nov last year)
10 striking scorpions (brown scheme done last year)

Next target will be swooping hawks, support weapons platforms, warp hunter and extra falcon i have lying around. The idea is to have enough core stuff so i can swap in/out aspects warriors and stuff and try a lot more combos with the new codex when it arrives.

Stay tuned. ;)
« Last Edit: March 5, 2013, 12:44:01 PM by samzor »

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
Re: Iyanden Warhost Project Log.
« Reply #1 on: March 5, 2013, 01:40:46 PM »
Well I definy have to follow this. Love the tones down take on the iyanden colour scheme! Way to put a spin on it and make it your own.

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #2 on: March 5, 2013, 02:00:19 PM »
Really cool looking colour scheme, especially given the bases: it is almost like the Eldar are *gasp* using camo!

I particularly like the overview pictures of the weapon platform, it looks very beautiful.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #3 on: March 5, 2013, 03:07:32 PM »
Fantastic looking models. The paint job and color palette is great.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Chrysalis

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: March 6, 2013, 12:46:59 PM »
Very nice! Your colours are very smooth and clean!

I'll be following this one too!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #5 on: March 7, 2013, 07:43:21 AM »
BTW how did you model up your bases? They look great.

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline samzor

« Reply #6 on: March 7, 2013, 11:01:08 AM »
Thanks for the comments! I didn't think there would be much interest in this.

I finished my last bike today with the shruiken cannon. Now i have 9 jetbikes like this and they take a long time to paint.
*Back to the ever growing blob of guardians which is at 15 now. When i have done 20+ ill post pics of them all together.

BTW how did you model up your bases? They look great.
I use this stuff (below) its a paste/paint you apply to the base, then leave under a warm lamp.
Instant crackle mud.

« Last Edit: March 7, 2013, 11:02:14 AM by samzor »

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #7 on: March 8, 2013, 11:24:08 PM »
Ah, Guardians. I feel your pain through the internet... I have 120 of the little bastards, still only half of which are painted... it gets monotonous very quickly. Believe it or not, i paint space marines for a chance of pace!

Anywho, i love the Jetbikes. They make me want to finally include some in my army (I have 10 Shining Spears, but i could never bother with the standard Guardian Jetbike. When i started, i couldn't afford to buy enough to build a squad, and now i can't be bothered with the work to make them look up-to-date) and the simplicity makes me consider actually making a squad myself... Do you have instructions, at least for the weapon mounts? Or at least a snap-shot of the underside?

Awesome start so far, though i will admit i don't think there is enough contrast in the Jetbikes or the Warlock... some Yellow would help break the monochrome.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline samzor

« Reply #8 on: April 3, 2013, 10:54:46 AM »
Ah, Guardians. I feel your pain through the internet... I have 120 of the little bastards, still only half of which are painted... it gets monotonous very quickly. Believe it or not, i paint space marines for a chance of pace!

Anywho, i love the Jetbikes. They make me want to finally include some in my army (I have 10 Shining Spears, but i could never bother with the standard Guardian Jetbike. When i started, i couldn't afford to buy enough to build a squad, and now i can't be bothered with the work to make them look up-to-date) and the simplicity makes me consider actually making a squad myself... Do you have instructions, at least for the weapon mounts? Or at least a snap-shot of the underside?

Awesome start so far, though i will admit i don't think there is enough contrast in the Jetbikes or the Warlock... some Yellow would help break the monochrome.

Haha here i was painting my 22nd-23rd guardian thinking you Lachdonin are a 'lightweight'. Then my guardian painting fatigue kicked in too!

Thanks for the comment about the monochrome effect on the jetbikes/warlock. I have trouble with the camera getting the full gaumut of colours in the photo.
Eg: im doing a dark angels green to dark ultramarine blue, then going to ice blue and in between adding a green and turquoise in the blends which the cameras 'visual logic' seems to adjust for mesquishing the extent of the colours in the photos (something i dont want) I will try and take more pictures but yes essentially they are supposed to be brilliant in colour but have fewer colours as you noted.
Yes: here is a photo of how they are converted:

My break from guardians consisted of painting a minimum squad of 5 fire dragons.

Of which i may next do a tutorial for painting the exarch with firepike Step by step as its a close match to the GW one. *nothing too creative here its nice to do default colour schemes from time to time.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2013, 11:11:40 AM by samzor »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #9 on: April 3, 2013, 11:38:56 AM »
Love your Dragons. Totally classic. Definitely looking forward to more.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2013, 11:41:06 AM by Cavalier »

Offline samzor

« Reply #10 on: April 8, 2013, 11:50:16 AM »

Finished the exarch!

Thanks Cavalier. They are the classic fire dragon. I may even start another squad of them later in the month. Same recipe same models.
I have to choose what to do next they will be in the mix:

*Swooping hawks (some will need pinning to their bases unfortunately).
*Another squad of fire dragons (same as this one).
*Iyanden Autarch (an old metal one which will look really nice). *Really want to paint an Autarch, never played with one in 6th i always go for avatar or farseers.   
*More warlocks.
*Third farseer.
*warp hunter.

However its back to the guardians for the next 7 days!  Should have 30 of them and 3 weapons platforms done.

Update:
WIP Iyanden/Striking Scorpion Autarch. I still have a lot to fo for this fellow. Finish the chainsword, cape, then paint up and magnetise swooping hawk wings, warp spider generator and the little flags he comes with. Maybe do some blending on his yellow helmet crest.

Hoping that Autarchs will get some kind of boost in the new codex.

Also should note that my swooping hawk experimental paint job is done. Trying some new light source techniques. Not as neat as my usual stuff though. And still trying to wrap my head around how the highlights should look from different angles.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 12:32:19 PM by samzor »

Offline samzor

« Reply #11 on: May 3, 2013, 08:17:55 AM »
Finished the Autarch's cape:

Based the Hawk. I started 2 more like this and starting to get the hang of the lighting effect.

Its that time of year where a friend visits who plays a lot of 2nd edition. So teh Autarch models might be some kind of super-exarch.

Offline samzor

« Reply #12 on: June 7, 2013, 06:05:42 AM »
Got the last one of my vypers done, updated the previous 'purple areas' to dark blue with a nice ultramarine blue blend. Then added the ochre+yellow wing tips.

Happy with these. Looking foward to being back in Ireland in July. Will play a few games withe my new models. *so lucky guardians got the boost people are talking about having painted 30 of them.
Vypers got a boost too so happy about this.