News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Guns!  (Read 27496 times)

Offline Archon_Yggdrisil

• That....was METAL!
Re: Guns!
« Reply #360 on: October 28, 2005, 02:04:56 AM »
And second, I'd hardly call the site anything as being fair/neutral. Almost all of the statistics provided is from pro gun rights activists that blatantly ignore the statistics of gun homicide and misuse of guns.
And almost all of the statistics provided by anti-gun activists ignore how many lives are saved/crimes stopped by guns every year.
Everyone manipulates statistics to suit themselves.

Um, no. We provided statistics that show justified shootings. How else did we get "For every one justified shooting, there are 22 accidental ones"?

I still want to see the numbers of justified shootings, minus cop shootings. I still want my cops to have guns.

Life is not measured by the moments in which we breath. Life is measured by the moments that take our breath away. -Carlin

Offline Captain Leonidas

• Our Little Red Friend - Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Sword of Santiago
« Reply #361 on: October 28, 2005, 03:25:47 AM »
Indeed and if for every one justifiable shooting there are 22 'accidental' ones, gun ownership is unacceptable.

I would still reccomend the forced confiscation of all civvie guns, ban handgun/automatic rifle sales and let cops handle the job.
Signature Pending Update :P

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #362 on: October 28, 2005, 03:32:11 AM »
Indeed and if for every one justifiable shooting there are 22 'accidental' ones, gun ownership is unacceptable.

I would still reccomend the forced confiscation of all civvie guns, ban handgun/automatic rifle sales and let cops handle the job.
  It is harsch, but I can see it having some appeal. Anyone caught owning a gun goes to jail, and if they come out and get a new one they get a longer sentence.

Of course it won't happen as long as the gun-infustry remains as powerful as it is in the US at the moment.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline AssasiNat

• Watch out! AssassiNat!
« Reply #363 on: October 28, 2005, 08:20:47 AM »
To me to be honest this seems one of the only sensible actions which can be taken against a country with a severe gun problem, and still very useful for any other contry as well.
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php/topic,86806.0.html

Check out my location on my profile both with and without the auto censor, i find this fact hilarious and true

Offline johhny-turbo

« Reply #364 on: October 28, 2005, 08:00:57 PM »
Its my personal oppinion that guns should be strictly outlawed in all industrial country's. Its not like you have to hunt for food or anything practical these days. The only people who should be allowed to have guns are the military. If civilians can't get guns, then police wont need them, and no one has to get shot. I think it should be a universal rule that if your not settling the frontier, then you don't need a gun.

Two words

Black Market.

If no law enforcement has any guns then any criminal with connections can get a gun and do what he wants.
"The great thing about getting shot by a lasbolt is that they immediately cauterize the wounds they just caused"- Commissar Ciaphas Cain

Offline Full Metal Geneticist

• Sir Quotesaplenty | No new bastardy suits.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Defender of the Text Wall
    • FMG's Angry Rantings
« Reply #365 on: October 28, 2005, 08:12:30 PM »
No he can't. Black market guns are not cheap in countries where there are no guns. In the USA black market guns are firearms that have been stolen, or smuggled in. In the UK all the firearms are smuggled in. This means crims have to pay high costs for everything, gun, ammo the whole works.

Therefore your average criminal tom dick and harry have no guns. The few that do cannot use them as they cost too much to operate and because of armed response units. These follow on a shoot to kill policy. The advantage of this system is that the police are able to take on heavily armed opponents (They are'nt armed with pistols they come with sub machine guns.) while being capable of distinguishing between a mad criminal intent on death and a random. This means accidental shootings are lower.

Now the average beat bobby in the UK has nothing more lethal than a truncheon. Its mainly for subduing. And a can of mace. The armed response units are like swat teams and armed the same way. There is simply no need for beat coppers to carry guns simply because no criminal is stupid enough to use one at a police man unless he wants to die.

Oh there will be a few idiots who get guns and shoot people but they get sent to jail. As they are so easy to trace. There are a handful of guns to the point that if one report is seen its generally a big deal.

It is pernicious nonsense that feeds into a rising wave of irrationality which threatens to overwhelm the hard-won gains of the Enlightenment and the scientific method. We risk as a society slipping back into a state of magical thinking when made-up science passes for rational discourse. I would compare it to witchcraft but honestly that's insulting to witches.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #366 on: October 29, 2005, 07:04:28 AM »
Two words

Black Market.

If no law enforcement has any guns then any criminal with connections can get a gun and do what he wants.
   In sweden we have very strict gun-laws, and a black market for them. However, as the access is so restricted the police can net those who amass any serious amounts of these things, and keep tabs on them. It makes me feel safer than owning one for myself, knowing that most anyone else would as well, with no such tab.

Offline Federal Hero

« Reply #367 on: November 2, 2005, 11:54:50 PM »
What I don't understand is why pistols and assault rifles and sub-machine guns are readily available in the US? They're obviously not used for hunting. The only guns that should ever be allowed in a country are hunting rifles and shotguns and even those must be carefully kept track of so that guns don't fall into the wrong hands and, if they do, they can be tracked easier.
"Make Love, Not Babies"

Offline Ace_of_Spades_13

• "Pedro offers his protection!"
« Reply #368 on: November 3, 2005, 12:01:09 AM »
In sweden we have very strict gun-laws, and a black market for them. However, as the access is so restricted the police can net those who amass any serious amounts of these things, and keep tabs on them. It makes me feel safer than owning one for myself, knowing that most anyone else would as well, with no such tab.

Rasmus...didn't y'all have some sort of biker gang war a few years back? The fight was over drugs and GUNS...the Hells Angels and a group of other gangs (Vikings, Banditos...the names escape me) but they were doing ride by RPG attacks and sick stuff like that. The guns were plenty and the carnage was just nasty. It was like a Mad MAx movie (my wife was a gang task force cop for awhile).

It sounds pretty far fetched but I'll have to dig up some info on it.

AoS13
"If you can hear the whistling of the incoming shell then you are WAY too close!!!"...country briefing first day in Iraq.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #369 on: November 3, 2005, 01:48:18 AM »
Rasmus...didn't y'all have some sort of biker gang war a few years back? The fight was over drugs and GUNS...the Hells Angels and a group of other gangs (Vikings, Banditos...the names escape me) but they were doing ride by RPG attacks and sick stuff like that. The guns were plenty and the carnage was just nasty. It was like a Mad MAx movie (my wife was a gang task force cop for awhile).
   There have been fights over turfs, and yes, a few years ago someone fired a single shoulder-rocket into someone's car as I believe, but to speak of a war that affected the general population is a mistake. Collateral damage, certainly, but not something you even considered if you didn't live within a block of a known club.
   To equate it with Mad Max is just ill-informed. Sorry.