News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: [1850] Khorne Daemonkin - Rate My List - KDK v2  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Akaitsuki

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
[1850] Khorne Daemonkin - Rate My List - KDK v2
« on: March 21, 2017, 12:33:27 PM »
Worked on my Khorne Daemonkin list after the previous review and commentary received trying to build a stronger more competitive list. Simple question to answer I want to know how competitive you'd find this list as is (no changes) if you had to face it with your best army list. Rate then comment

Comment on the following points
 - Would you win on pure brute strength? rulebook mission objectives? both?
 - Would you need to list tailor to win or can your standard list take it down?
 - What would you find most challenging to deal with in this list, what are you most concerned about?
 - How would you rate yourself as a 40k player on a scale of 1-10 (1 being a Novice brand new to the game, 10 international/global tournament winner (top 8))

Combined Arms Detachment

HQ

Bloodthrister of Insensate Rage

Bloodthrister of Insensate Rage

Troops

11x Bloodletters - Banner of Blood; Bloodreaper
11x Bloodletters - Banner of Blood; Bloodreaper

Heavy Support

Maulerfiend - Lasher Tendrils

Maulerfiend - Lasher Tendrils

Gorepack Formation

3x Chaos Bikers - Meltagun x2

3x Chaos Bikers - Meltagun x2

8x Flesh Hounds

8x Flesh Hounds

5x Flesh Hounds

5x Flesh Hounds

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: [1850] Khorne Daemonkin - Rate My List - KDK v2
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 04:23:10 PM »
How competitive are you expecting the list to be?

I would rank this as a mid-tier level list. You'll win some games, but probably wont win any major tournament.

The top armies in the game right now are the following

Magnus/ Daemons (either flying daemon princes with Magnus, or screamerstar and screamer/flesh hound spam)

Tau Monster Mash (1-2 Stormsurge, 3-5 riptides, etc)

Eldar (Either Ynnari, or just jetbike spam)

Space Marine Battle Company/ Lions Blade.

I don't think the list has the tools to consistently win against these armies.

I don't think Pure Khorne Daemonkin will be a top-table army (but, it depends on your environment).

The most powerful thing Chaos Space Marines has right now is the Cyclopian Cabal, which if you added to your army could give you tools to deal with shooting-focuses armies. (shroud of Deciet, invisibility, Endrance etc powers to taste).

If you want to stick with pure KDK, then I highly Suggest running the Blood Host Detachment of Formations, the extra blood tithe is a real game changer, as well as the extra choice per turn on the slaughter cult.

Also, never increase squad sizes in KDK, you want many small units, not a few big ones. 5 man hound squads, 8 man daemon squads.

For your questions.

1. I don't think you'll table top table armies. You will do well in a casual environment. You will not win on objectives, as you only have two objective secured models.

2. No.

3. The only thing I'd be worried about is the Flesh Hounds.

4. I play in lots of ITC level events. My 40k Team is 38th best worldwide in the ITC (but mostly as we've not been to lots of events yet this season).

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 05:01:50 PM by Killersquid »
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 10:12:42 AM »
This list is definitely superior to your last list. I generally agree with Killersquid--this is no top-tier tourney army--but it's fast and likely to cause problems.

The list I pitted against it for your *last* post would still probably beat it, but it would be a lot harder, mostly because I'd have to worry about warding off all those damned flesh hounds *as well as* coping with the Bloodthirsters. A lot of my shooting would wind up bound in combat a little too quickly, meaning the Bloodthirsters wouldn't have a lot to shoot them down before they made contact. I've got enough anti-infantry firepower to make a go of it, though (Vindicators and Thunderfire Cannons would have a pretty good time). I'd have difficulty claiming objectives, though, as I'd have to castle up for at least 3 turns to weather the assaults.

It should be noted, however, that my preferred 1850 Tau list would have a field day and blow this thing right off the board without breaking a sweat. So, as Killersquid says, it depends on the matchup.

Offline Akaitsuki

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 02:45:38 AM »
Played out this list during the week.
Faced off against Smurfs with their primarch and a skyhammer with grav formation and librarian conclave formation.

Opponent had turn 1

I lost the 2 bloodthristers immediately to the grav cannon devastators, which I wasn't happy about.

The rest of the game was a challenge but worked out better than I thought I destroyed the skyhammer annihilation squads using those flesh hound units that I bubblewrapped my bloodthristers with maulerfiend wrecked the drop pods and had another unit of flesh hounds go in and assault the librarius conclave that had rolled all it's powers on fulmination in order to cast powers to move guilliman across the board faster.

flesh hounds have preferred enemy psykers so that was lovely. Guilliman started wrecking flesh hounds in assault but thanks to being fearless they became an endless tarpit for him allowing me to destroy the rest of the army and win ALL of the objectives with the mobility to get wherever i needed to be.

Maulerfiends and flesh hounds def won the game for me and made it look easy.

Post Merge: March 26, 2017, 02:53:21 AM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

This thrusday I got a couple games to play. I wanted to take the list here and make it deadlier or maybe i just wanted an excuse to bring my newly built renegade knight on the table for the glory of khorne. The world may never know

Anyway I made some cuts to the list to find the points needed, of course I went with  a melee knight because I'm leaning towards an all out combat aggressive list. Last time the D-thristers got nailed to the wall by skyhammer dropping down i'm hoping to mitigate this with the knight bubble wrapped in hounds and having the D-thristers swoop in from reserves.

If alpha strike isnt a problem then I'm hoping to just push these 3 combat monsters up the board.

1850 Pts - Codex: Khorne Daemonkin Roster - Khorne Daemonkin

: Combined Arms Detachment (20#, 946 pts)
   1 Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage, 275 pts (Warlord)
   1 Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage, 275 pts
   7 Chaos Cultists, 58 pts
      1 Cultist Champion
   7 Chaos Cultists, 58 pts
      1 Cultist Champion
   1 Maulerfiend, 140 pts (2x Lasher Tendrils)
   1 Maulerfiend, 140 pts (2x Lasher Tendrils)
   1 Combined Arms Detachment, 0 pts

: Forsworn Knight Detachment (1#, 325 pts)
   1 Forsworn Knight Detachment [RKn], 325 pts
      1 Renegade Knight [RKn]

Formation: Gorepack (31#, 576 pts)
   1 Gorepack, 576 pts
      2 Chaos Bikers (Meltagun x2)
         1 Biker Champion (Bolt Pistol; Close Combat Weapon)
      2 Chaos Bikers (Meltagun x2)
         1 Biker Champion (Bolt Pistol; Close Combat Weapon)
      8 Flesh Hounds
      8 Flesh Hounds
      8 Flesh Hounds

Total Roster Cost: 1847
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 02:53:21 AM by Akaitsuki »

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 09:17:22 AM »
Of all your lists so far, that last one is probably the nastiest. It's one thing to shoot down 2 Maulerfiends and 2 D-Thirsters. It's quite another to shoot down 2 Maulers, 2 D-Thirsters, a Renegade Knight, and all those damned flesh hounds.

Yeah, that one's a pretty tough list, I'd say. Alpha Striking armies might pull it off, but if you get first turn, most opponents are going to struggle.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 02:51:04 AM »
For me that last list of yours is the best by far! You've got some serious power in the Knight and Bloodthirsters then a good amount of mobile bodies for objective grabbing etc. Then just summon more Hounds/Bloodletters using your blood tithe points and you are away!
I genuinely wouldn't change anything from that list. Not wanting to blow smoke up your *** but that's probably the best pure KDK list I have seen (i.e not Houndstar with Cyclopia cabal)
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Akaitsuki

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 04:21:47 AM »
Thanks when I get some games in i'll post some game results here.

Offline Akaitsuki

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 10:47:33 PM »
I ran this list and took a lot of the tactical advice given here and won. I placed most objectives on the enemy side of the table since i would be rushing there anyway and what ensued was a bloodfest. Khorne was pleased lots and lots of blood flowed rivers of it and the game was very very very close to call came down to a cultist 6th turn objective grab to clinch the victory for me, objective secured saved me from certain death.

A cultist champion failed to become a bloodthrister aswell lol rolled double 6s

biker champion became a daemon prince.

units of bloodletters summoned very late game took some key objectives.

For the most part the flesh hounds went up to his face and got bombarbed by 2 thunderfire cannons, a whirlwind, 3 vindicators, and a LOT of tactical doctrine twin-linked fire. He had struggled vs them for many games but I guess once you know what you are likely to face it gives you a leg up on countering them.

The knight also took a ton of damage walking in but got to assault Captain smashface and his command squad with a 2+ FNP (fist of medusa), my warlord Bloodthrister also joined this particular melee and issued his challenge. While the knight slapped around the command squad but only killed 2 dudes. The thrister survived the captain's few attacks and then wiped out the rest of the unit with his mighty D weapon landing 2 6s and some additional wounds.

It was a close game closer than i honestly thought but lots of anti infantry power does really do a number on KDK. My armour saves on the bloodthristers didnt help one bit. Fun bit: I summoned a Daemon Prince via blood tithe and he then failed 3 saves against bolters...just 1 COMBAT SQUAD rapid fired and did 3 wounds lol he promptly died to a thunderfire cannon after.

I honestly believe in KDK you just never need to get more than 6 tithes. Or maybe im just sour

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 08:03:25 AM »
What was you opponent's list?

Blood tithe becomes very scary when you build your list around the blood host detachment. Getting two boons a turn out of it, and an extra blood tithe per turn is a big deal. I've summoned three bloodthirsters one game because of that, and kept fnp on my slaughter cult the whole game.

But, you'll need to radically change your list to use that detachment.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Akaitsuki

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 03:21:04 PM »
I agree the bloodhost does indeed grant lots of bloodtithe i've def noticed a difference while playing Daemonkin as a CAD, i don't really milk tithes until turn 3.

He had the armoured task formation i believe that's the one that brings a lot of heavy support choices, he had a standalone techmarine, 2 thunderfirecannons, a whirlwind and a 3 vindicators unit (to fire the apocalyptic blast) as mentioned earlier. I didn't take in the details of his list sadly other than while playing the game. His heavy support units did most of the heavy lifting against my force.