News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dedicated Transports  (Read 6759 times)

Offline KJQ

• Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
Re: Dedicated Transports
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 02:37:22 PM »
@Hanith:  While I respect your decision to self-limit yourself regarding use of DT in game play, I think we need to be careful about assuming RAI, especially since not everyone agrees with your thinking on this (myself included).

Stepping briefly into the tactics realm: I know of several SM examples where DT is taken but deployed empty. One is an 'empty' DP dropped on a far objective from reserve late-game to contest it (often C&C games), without wanting to suicide an infantry unit within it or losing their ability to shoot from the 1st turn. Another is to take a LR as DT for termies, then deploy them separately during the deployment phase. This is a good way to get a LR Achilles or other LR variant onto the table without using up a HS slot. I like to deploy an Achilles right beside a small scout squad, which then embark and go park on an objective. Some say cheese, some say good tactics.
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school. " - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr_Ruminahui

• General | Missing: a title, and smilies
  • Ancient
  • Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
    • Some of my painted minis
Re: Dedicated Transports
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 12:42:26 AM »
As a note, we avoid arguing RAI here.  That said, I disagree with you that the RAI is that units should start in their dedicated transports.

Take for example an imperial guard command squad - hiding behind their transport while bellowing orders to the men around them is very characterful.

Which is exactly why we avoid RAI... a) the only thing that lets us know what GW intended is the rules themselves, which is pretty much what RAW is; and b) what people think is intened is based on their own subjective feelings and preferences, which makes it a rather valueless yardstick to use.

All that aside, you are free to "handicap" yourself as you've described - just be sure not to give other players sour grapes when then play in a manner which doesn't meet what you think GW intended.

As an added note, this really isn't the place to discuss tactics either...

Inquisitor Moderatis Ruminahui
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:43:29 AM by Dr_Ruminahui »
The rules forum rules - no spamming, no flaming, no playing devil's advocate
------
2007: Tied for Most Valuable Non-Staff Member (with Full Metal Geneticist)
2008: Nicest Member, Strategic Excellence, Best Imperial Guard Poster, Rules Expert
2009: Best Local
2010: Nicest Member, Rules Expert

40KO IG Best painted - Storm troopers & Chimera