News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Please help the newbie with fourth ed lists?  (Read 3062 times)

Offline Thara

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Please help the newbie with fourth ed lists?
« on: October 12, 2015, 11:41:29 PM »
So if older versions are no longer discussed, please let me know and I will try and find other sources of help. I have several friends who are getting back into this game and want to use their old stuff and books, but they also want me to join them. Thus I have been given an age appropriate Tyranid book and core book, and been told to make a list. I believe I have the basic concepts of the game down, but have no clue what is actually useful or good. My friends will be playing Orks, Dark angels, and Chaos.

I have loosely thrown together two lists of 1500, and I would really appreciate if people would tell me what I may be doing wrong and why other things are better.

List 1
HQ

Hive tyrant - Lashwip and bonesword, Scything claws, Acid maw, Warp field, Symbiote rippers.
Tyrant guard x2

Elites

Lictors x3

Troops

Hormagaunt - Toxin sacs, in two groups of 24

Ripper swarm - Leaping x8

Heavy

Zoanthropes - Catalyst, Warp blast, Synapse x3

Carnifex - Scything talons, Scything talons, Acid maw, Tusked, Toxin sacks, Symbiote rippers, Mace tail

1p remainder

or List 2
HQ

Hive tyrant - Lashwip and bonesword, Scything claws, Acid maw, Warp field, Symbiote rippers.
Tyrant guard x2

Elites

Lictors x2

Warrior - Enhanced senses, (Barbed strangler, Fleshborer) Deathspitter, Fleshborer x3
Warrior - Enhanced senses, Symbiote rippers (Venom cannon, Spinefist) Devourer, Spinefist x3

Troops

Hormagaunt - Toxin sacs, in two groups of 24

Genestealers - Scything talons x12

Heavy

Carnifex - Scything talons, Scything talons, Acid maw, Tusked, Toxin sacks, Symbiote rippers

Thank you for any help you can give.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Please help the newbie with fourth ed lists?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 08:52:58 AM »
Wow. 4th Ed Tyranids--that takes me back. Back to when I used to tremble in terror at the prospect of facing them.

If memory serves, Warrior Broods were generally better than Lictors, especially against lists that didn't have a problem getting in a scrap. 4th Ed Orks were pretty weak, so I'd imagine you'd have little trouble crushing them with either list. I do like the Zoanthropes for antitank--they were pretty ace at that in the day.

Then again, it's been something like a decade since I've played 4th Ed, so my memory could be rusty. I wish I could be more helpful!

Offline Radec

• Armies: Chaos Daemons, Genestealer Cults (soon, yess soon)
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 11:42:45 AM »
 Take list two and swap the lictors for some zoanthopes. Warriors, zoans, carnifexes and genesteales were good choices back then IIRC. Wings on the tyrant to make him Jump infantry won't hurt either.

Offline Thara

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 05:12:32 PM »
Thank you both. Of course after I posted I had the silly idea to look up what year the books I have came out in and go look into forum posts around that time. They did seem to like flying cc tyrants and zoanthropes at the time.
I do have a fondness for the design of the lictors, but if they are not worth their points then I shall change them out. I'll probably still make one anyway just so I can have a pretty to look at.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 09:48:26 AM »
I remember being terrified of Lictors with my Tau, but not really with anybody else.

Taking one for the sheer coolness of them is certainly acceptable. They do have their uses.  :)