News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Annoying in-game habits  (Read 11214 times)

Offline g3nius_monkey

• Flamer: my ways are higher than man : Educated AND Ignorant!
Re: Annoying in-game habits
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2009, 11:16:13 PM »
I'm not sure these count as habits, but I hate when people do them.

First off, I have an issue with people who don't re roll cocked dice. Especially if the dice rolled in an odd way (one side would have passed, the other side would have failed). Instead of immediately picking up the dice and rolling it, they don't. And there's usually an awkward moment afterwards.

Second, I hate when people go off into tangents talking about their army. No, I don't wanna know why you equipped your third tactical squad with a rocket and put it in a drop pod. I'm guilty of this at times, but I'm smart enough to know when the other guys not interested. I've seriously played games that have lasted two hours longer than they should have because of this.

I'm not a huge fan of the older veterans. This is fifth edition, and yes, I DO get a cover save for standing in a ruin, even if you can see the whole model. No, its NOT OK to houserule that if you're running a tournament. I hate older vets even worse when they try to call me out on my Codex, even though they don't play space marines. They haven't taken the time to read the updated rules, they don't know wtf is in your codex. I've had to explain no less than four times now that, yes, a tactical squad can regroup and fire its heavy weapons.

A little less related, but I also can't stand people who don't shower. Like, who don't shower and smell really bad. I understand that this hobby attracts people in the beauty department that are less than steller, but that's no excuse for lack of personal hygiene. I took the time to shower my ass this morning so I could come out and play; I don't expect you to glamour up for like a party, but I sure as hell don't want your grubby ass fingers all over my models. Go play by yourself.
"Do not be afraid to lose. Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement. Everybody starts new."

-HoN Game Hint

Offline Ironclad

• We are the nothing.
  • Armies: Dark Angels
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2009, 12:16:47 AM »
There are a couple of guys at my LGS that smell like they haven't showered either.  The one thing I can't stand is when people (you know who you are) roll one dice at a time to try and make 6 invul saves.
Hell follows behind me...

Offline BaleWolf

• Boom Headshot!
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2009, 01:05:21 AM »
My brother is a once dice armour save thrower, which isn't bad when rolling for a command squad or some such but even in the previous edition he would do it. All right, you need to take 20 armour saves (5min later) well... my 5 man squad is dead, huh.

Having to keep asking your opponent to either keep moving or "what next" and "are you done moving" as they get sidetracked and I just want to get things over with. 

Though I'm guilty of walking away a lot.
Then God said, "Let there be win," and there was win, and it was good.

All views and opinions in the above post are heartfelt and held to the utmost degree of truthfulness. If you are insulted by anything contained within, get off my internets.

Offline The Ecclesiarch

• Be Pure, Be Vigiliant, Obey!
  • Armies: Forces of the Imperium, Da Boyz, CHAOS.
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2009, 01:35:17 AM »
Players who argue over cockeyed dice >:( if its cockeye it MUST be rerooled unless its 3/4 of the way on the number, the point about this is that sometimes you should be willing to compromise yourself in order to play a fair game, players that dont want to do that make me mad.

*in a Cartman voice* Screw you guys im going home ;D is what i say if i come against horrible petty gits that want to powergame, rules laywer and not be fair minded.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 01:37:57 AM by The Ecclesiarch »
+++ Ecclesiastical Proverbs +++
Blasphemy cries out for purgation from the faithful.
Blessed are the war makers.
By Bolter and Flamer we purify the faithless.
Hate sanctifies faith.
Anger and Hatred are mankind's highest virtues.
Let he who would be without sin cast the first grenade.
To be bigoted is human, to be unrepentant of thy bigotry is divine.
Tolerance is ignorance.
+++ Scribe Jack Hanson, Terra +++

Offline Tamuz

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2009, 02:29:10 AM »
Several gripes here.

People rolling the scatter halfway across the board and changing the angle is definately one.

People not showering passes from annoying to disgusting sometimes, but at the first company veterans club where I game this is not usually a problem (bunch of old geezers who's wives probably remind most of us to wash before going out...)

People walking away from the table during your turn is the worst I think. I have a friend who is in his twenties and yet still has a tendency to do this...

People coming over and getting involved with other peoples games by giving unsolicited advice etc can be annoying as well. I can be guilty of this occasionally when a friend is playing - I try my best not to tho.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2009, 05:04:52 AM »
Have never come across any problems with cocked dice before.
I use the rule that if you put another dice on top and it slides off, then you need to re-roll!

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2009, 05:09:03 AM »
Yeah, that's the rule we use here. If you can't balance another dice on it, it's cocked. I've never heard this '3/4 of a number' thing.

Offline neverXmore

• I *LOVE* 40k Online! I really do.
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2009, 06:54:54 AM »
We us that rule too. Some of us have become pretty damn good at dice balancing now :D

So sad but true.
I don't want to seem rude but if I wanted to take part in talking about why the eldar codex needs to be better I'd read pretty much any thread in the Eldar forum.

Offline Lazarus

• Infinity Circuit - The Voice of Reason
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Space Wolves & Imperial Guard
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2009, 07:29:31 AM »
Posted by: g3nius_monkey

I'm not a huge fan of the older veterans. This is fifth edition, and yes, I DO get a cover save for standing in a ruin, even if you can see the whole model. No, its NOT OK to houserule that if you're running a tournament. I hate older vets even worse when they try to call me out on my Codex, even though they don't play space marines. They haven't taken the time to read the updated rules, they don't know wtf is in your codex. I've had to explain no less than four times now that, yes, a tactical squad can regroup and fire its heavy weapons.

I don't think that is a problem just related to "older veterans". I think that people in general can fall into that catagory. I personally run into more issues with the younger players but then again, I've been playing this game longer than they have even been on this planet.

As to houserules for tournaments. A TO can really do whatever he wants in that regard.
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline g3nius_monkey

• Flamer: my ways are higher than man : Educated AND Ignorant!
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2009, 08:38:45 AM »
As to houserules for tournaments. A TO can really do whatever he wants in that regard.

lol yeah I know, it just pisses me off because I only know one set of rules, and I have no way to access the older editions of my codex/rulebook (they don't sell them anymore!).

Yes! I always have to tell people to roll their scatter dice as close as possible to the blast marker, deepstriker etc. Some times the scatter direction can change sooo much while travelling across the board.

Half the people I play are guilty of this crime, and I even know how they do it! They use their tape to figure out the direction, and then they pivot on their waste without turning their wrist, and set the tape over the blast marker. They're off by as much as 45 degrees, easy!

Whenever I check scatter, especially if theres a distance between the two, I line myself up with the arrow direction, and then "strafe" until I'm looking at the scatter dice. To be safe, I always check for a small range of angles too whenever I set down the new scatter position. I'm usually generous, since most of the time its either definitely in or definitely out.
"Do not be afraid to lose. Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement. Everybody starts new."

-HoN Game Hint

Offline Ben Atter

« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2009, 09:38:36 AM »
It bugs me when an opponent rolls their dice, and then picks up the ones the succeed rather than the ones that fail. Even if they are not purposely picking up a few failed dice in the mix, it is very easy to do so on accident.

I found this one interesting because I'm guilty of it, but I thought it was a good thing! After rolling (clearly so that the other player can see all the dice), I slide all the passed rolls into one group, and all the fails into another group. Then I pick up all those that passed and roll to wound - it seems to me that I'm less likely to roll the wrong number of dice if I roll precisely the dice that hit. Why is it better to roll with the dice that fail? Or should gamers use differently coloured dice for hitting and wounding? I'd appreciate someone explaining why it's annoying because of course I'll stop it if people agree it's not a good idea!

The things that annoy me are scatter dice being rolled half the world away, and people whinging about things that were well within their control when they wrote their army list. For example, an opponent with a footslogging Blood Angels army that I play against quite regularly complains that it takes him too long to get into close combat against my guard because I hug the board edge. Buy Rhinos! I get that it could happen once (he often plays against other CC armies so gets into combat quickly - but after your first game against a different tactic you need to adapt, don't just complain that my guard don't just run across the table to hurl themselves onto your chainswords!

Offline Isaac

• Profound!
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2009, 10:20:08 AM »
Forgetting to role for reserves can be annoying, or heart-tugging if you're the victim of forgotten reinforcements. I imagine it's not a common habit, but it certainly occurs, especially if the player doesn't routinely use the reserves rule.

Offline Tamuz

« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2009, 10:32:36 AM »
Ben, I think the point being made is that some people like to pick up all the failed dice first and leave the passes in place so that the opponent can see they are all passes and then set the fails aside, pick up the passes as a group and roll them. That way it is clear that you are not cheating.

The gripe was that some people pick the passes straight out from amongst the fails- without giving their oponent a chance to double check the count. I am in agreement that this is an annoying thing to do, even if they are not deliberately cheating.

I think you sliding the dice into two piles is fine tho so long as you seperate them without changing their scores.

Offline Death To Bipedals

• Hand Sannich
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2009, 01:12:07 PM »
A little less related, but I also can't stand people who don't shower. Like, who don't shower and smell really bad. I understand that this hobby attracts people in the beauty department that are less than steller, but that's no excuse for lack of personal hygiene. I took the time to shower my ass this morning so I could come out and play; I don't expect you to glamour up for like a party, but I sure as hell don't want your grubby ass fingers all over my models. Go play by yourself.

Come back to the Sanctuary, I'm sick of playing terribads!!!!!!!!

Also I hate the above, I hate it so much. If your ass smells like sour milk and your pits stink of low quality taco meat, stay home.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 01:13:25 PM by Death To Bipedals »

Offline Mon'Tau

• Corporal Max McPherson - dual shotguns and glory | Meat Hater Magnet
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Hello Ground. Will you be my friend?
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2009, 01:39:40 PM »
People telling you what you need to to roll for hits, for wounds, telling you your own damn armour saves.... And not once, no no no, that would be excusable when playing a beginner maybe. Every time you so much as think about rolling dice, they tell you what you need.

And people picking through your dice for you! That gets me, as I'm trying to see how many hits I had so I can take away the misses, and it's a tad hard when the dice all vanish and get shifted around without me even touching the damn things.
The Diplomacy League - give it a look.

Well played. Drybrushing is the future *twitch*
beslubber you sheepz!  :P

You know you play too much Diplomacy when you have more PM's than forum posts.

Offline Farseer Arendil

• Ork Boy
  • For the Craftworld
  • Armies: Alaitoc Eldar, Orks
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2009, 02:19:56 PM »
I have to agree with Mont'au.  We have a guy at my LGS who does that, but lately he has been busted by one of our oldest vets for padding his stats.  He was changing toughness 3 to toughness 4 and so on.  I've never read the Wolves Codex or the Guard Codex and don't have an update on their stats.  Someone not being readily able to get ahold of a codex to memorize the stats doesn't give you the right to cheat them.  Plus this same guy was giving a special character's ability to all of his rune priests, and i would never have known if it wasn't for one of our regular wolves players busting him out mid game.
Besides, the FW DCCW is too damn awesome not to put it on a ven dread... Holy Moly! You know something? that's not even a proper DA ven dread; its a generic ven dread with a RW icon plastered on one side after half the icon's wing has been cut away, pathetic! :P

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2009, 02:39:44 PM »
I admit to sometimes muttering required dice rolls, but it's never in a "You need x-y-z..." style, more doing it to myself if I'm trying to figure out chances of pass/fail etc.

Something else that I've remembered - Someone who refuses to let an opponent use a special rule (after being shown how it works, shown the page etc etc) and then flat out refusing to le them use it because "it's stupid". A kid got banned from a GW near mine for refusing to let a Lizardman player kill his Giant with poisoned attacks.

There's also been a SW player or two who simply can't accept that 'Nids don't give a damn about your Runic Weaponry, they're getting their powers without being hindered.

Offline mafty

• BANNED
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2009, 03:05:53 PM »
haha im guilty of the calling out the numbers needed on hits and wounds. I do it more in CC than anything else. I just do it so its clear what dice hit and what miss. plus if I dont know the opponents army very well I always ask there WS,BS,S....etc so I know what they need to hit/wound me, instead of them just throwing abunch of dice and picking up the ones that miss, even though more could have missed, but I dont know what he needs to hit/wound me.

TLOS bugs me, and causes arguments a lot. Its really hard to get my eye to my models eye, and often I end up looking over the models head to determine LOS, which isnt really accurate and sometimes makes you think you have LOS when you dont. anyways I find everyone has a different version of LOS and what a model can/cant see (obviously favouring their own army more). Its a silly system overall.

People who complain about dice rolling, like making all your saves, or making all the wounds, etc. It shows poor sportsmanship and makes it really hard to play against them because you feel bad for making them lose. Overall just ruins the game when ppl whine.

The biggest thing for me though, is people who move there first model 6", and somehow the guy at the back of the squad is now at the front moving sometimes 12". I cant stand when ppl move there units like that. Its deliberatly cheating.

Similar to that is when people over generously move there own units into combat, shooting, whatever. But when you goto shoot/assault them there sticklers on the exact measurement.

Offline evileyevirtue

• Tastes like chicken...
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2009, 03:17:57 PM »
There's this one guy at one of the stores I play at... and I just can't stand all of the things he does.  It all started when he brought a twin lash chaos list to a pick up game after he knew I was playing my DH.  Then, he's guilty of 'adjusting' the scatter direction because he rolls too far away.  Then he likes to quit.  I really REALLY hate this.  When I was playing his eldar he quit in the middle of turn 3.  And when he starts to realize he's losing, he gets obviously more agitated and acts like a dick.  Poor sport.
Friends don't let friends play Dark Eldar :)

Visit my BLOG!!!

Offline Blackveil

« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2009, 03:29:18 PM »
when you play against someone that has the codex RIGHT THERE, but he doesn't know the points or anything and doesn't even check. And they have 3 HQs and 1 troop. i didn't complain though, because i tabled him  ;D
2011 Grim Open GT Best General