News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Crisis suit loadout: 2x Missiles or TL Missile + Flamer?  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Galef

Crisis suit loadout: 2x Missiles or TL Missile + Flamer?
« on: February 21, 2014, 06:41:54 PM »
I am playing Tau as allies for my Eldar.

Eldar: 1 Farseer on jetbike, 2-3 Jetbike units, 2x DA Serpents, 2 Prisms
Tau: Iridium commander w/ 2x Missiles, Puretide& DC, 2 Broadsides w/ Marker drones, 2x 10 Fire Warriors

I also field 2 Crisis suits.  With the Farseer in the list, I can easily 'twin-link' them. But I tend to 'twin-link' the Prisms and/or Fire Warriors.

So that has led me to think that Twin-Linking their Missile pods and adding Flamers would be a nice addition.  They can stay near the Tau "ball" to lend Supporting fire, and don't have to rely on the Seer.  They could also Deep Strike to flame a backfield unit.  But is it worth losing the shots?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 05:15:41 AM by Galef »
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Crisis suit loadout: 2x Missiles or TL Missile + Flamer?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 09:01:45 PM »
Well, without using psychic shenanigans, the odds play out like this:

Double Missile Pods on a Full Squad = 12 shots = 6 hits
Twinlinked Missile Pods on a Full Squad = 6 shots = 4.5 hits

You lose 1.5 hits overall. You also save points and adding on the flamer still comes in cheaper than the double pod suit.

For me, I generally run TL Pod and Flamer suits, simply because I'm running them with a Commander with the Puretide engram, so losing the extra hit and a half is compensated for by the Engram's ability versus vehicles and the Commander himself adds a few more shots to the mix, making it worth it.

Running naked as a secondary attachment? I dunno. I'd be inclined to go with the double pods and use Prescience on them when needed and otherwise allow the shooting to take it's natural course. The flamer adds some nice Supporting Fire to the army, but how badly do the Eldar need that kind of anti-assault support, anyway?

Offline Galef

Re: Crisis suit loadout: 2x Missiles or TL Missile + Flamer?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 05:22:47 AM »
Using Prescience was me initial thought as well, but after a few games, I am finding that I would rather use Prescience and Guide on the Fire Warriors and/or Fire Prisms.

Having the automatic twin-linked Missiles means I do not need to buff them. I can use them as a support role only, relying on the Broadsides, Prisms and Serpents to do the 'heavy-lifting'.

I also see a fair bit of FMCs in my LGS. Having more twin-linked stuff gives me more chances to Ground them.

Thanx for the feedback.
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar