News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Need Suggestions for Salamanders Captain  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Neo-Buzzard

• I tire of these games....
  • Armies: Deathguard w/ Demons, & Space Wolves w/ Skitarri
Need Suggestions for Salamanders Captain
« on: April 2, 2016, 09:38:48 PM »
Hey, a buddy of mine is starting a salamanders army, and wants a termie captain, but as there are no models for such I'm going to convert one for him. Thing is I need some help deciding what bits should go into it. I know he wants termie armor, a combi-flamer, and a thunder hammer. I thought about basing him off of the Deathstorm BA captain, but having never worked with the model, not sure how hard it would be to take all the iconography off, or the termie captain from the betrayal at calth set, if the left arm would be easy to work with (maybe cut the chain part off and pin a thunder hammer on, like he's carrying it on his shoulder.)

Kinda stuck, and would like some input guys. Thanks in advance.
Quote - YuenglingDragon:  Kharn is an unholy ass-kicker.  Makes perfect sense to me.  Blood for the Blood God and anti-grav engines for his awesome flying throne.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: Need Suggestions for Salamanders Captain
« Reply #1 on: April 3, 2016, 10:02:28 AM »
If your friend wants to play Sallies, he wants to use Vulkan. Period. His benefits to Melta are necessary to make Salamanders work. Period.

Sorry, not optional... period.

But. Having the model, it would be slightly tricky, but not obscenely hard to remove the BA iconography from the Deathstorm Captain. There are several small blood drops to shave flat, nice and easy. His right leg has a large blood drop with wings thing going on, as long as you remove it before assembly it should be easy-ish. Either have something to replace it with, or be careful to maintain a rounded shape.

The two hardest parts to deal with, if you're a perfectionist, would be a blood drop centre of his chest, between wings. You could probably shave it flat and work it into a headless Aquila sort of thing. The other tricky part would be the "wing" counterweight on the Thunder hammer. If you had some Salamander bits from a Drop Pod [maybe?] that had the fiery bit behind the salamander skull... that would look really good. I removed the head, replaced with an Axe as I made a Termie-Librarian, but I think the Sally skull might fit in the face of the hammer, which would again really emphasize the Sally-ness.

But really. You need Vulkan first and foremost, and he's a beautiful model. Essentially a better version of what you're trying to do anyway.

Offline Neo-Buzzard

• I tire of these games....
  • Armies: Deathguard w/ Demons, & Space Wolves w/ Skitarri
« Reply #2 on: April 3, 2016, 02:10:25 PM »
We actually have a campaign coming up, with rules for "leveling up" commanders, but only your standard commander can "level" and no unique characters are allowed for the first 5 rounds of this 10 round campaign. Also I'm 99% sure he already purchased He'Stan.
Quote - YuenglingDragon:  Kharn is an unholy ass-kicker.  Makes perfect sense to me.  Blood for the Blood God and anti-grav engines for his awesome flying throne.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #3 on: April 3, 2016, 06:21:14 PM »
Ok, as long as he already has Captain He'Stan :). But the rest stands about Karleen... or whatever his name is from Deathstorm. You could do some pretty easy removal and he'd be solid.