News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1250 Word Bearers  (Read 351 times)

Offline ppryan

• Black Guardian
1250 Word Bearers
« on: December 23, 2007, 04:26:33 PM »
With the new codex my word bearers army rightfully got shelved. Even though i told myself id wait till the daemon codex comes out i thought i might try to put together a 1250 list to use at my local store. As ive had pretty much no experience with the new codex i need to get some input from those who have used similar configurations. Thanx

Daemon Prince w/ Wings, Warptime, Mark of Tzeentch - 175 pts

8 Chosen w/ 2x Plasmaguns, 2x Meltaguns, Mark of Chaos Glory - 204 pts

10 Chaos Marines w/ Missile Launcher, Plasmagun, Mark of Chaos Glory - 185 pts

10 Chaos Marines w/ Missile Launcher, Plasmagun, Mark of Chaos Glory - 185 pts

8 Lesser Daemons - 104 pts

8 Lesser Daemons - 104 pts

1 Obliterator - 75 pts

1 Obliterator - 75 pts

1 Vindicator w/ extra armour - 140 pts

army total: 1248

So basically the tank and 10 man squads are the basic formation. The oblits either start on board or deep strike if necessary. The chosen infiltrate 12 out of los to summon daemons and then move into the open when appropriate. The Prince has mark of tzeentch for the 4+ invul save to represent my dark apostle and will terrain jump and go into the enemy. Thats about it any advice is appreciated. A couple of basic things i may change

1) swap out 1 daemon unit for a greater daemon and add champion to chosen
2) could change prince for terminator lord who would advance as an IC
3) add daemonic possension to vindicator, dont have at the moment due to pts
4) configuration of chosen unit, probably will keep as shooty unit for pts sake

Thanks

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
Re: 1250 Word Bearers
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 12:44:53 PM »
It's a great list.  I would suggest a Personal Icon on the Daemon Prince, but I have no idea where to shave the points for it.  You could swap a Plasmagun for a Meltagun, but then the squad becomes an anti-tank squad hindered by a Plasmagun, rather than the generalist unit it is now.
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 01:05:30 PM »
Daemon Princes can't get personal icons.

I suggest Daemonic Possession on Vindicator, but, there's a lack of 'other' vehicles to keep the vindi 'safe'... so it's not gonna last as long as you might like.

*Oblits are ok.
*Lesser are characterful choice.
*CSM's are ok.  But there is a lack of CC oriented units for counter attack/dedicated attack, and the lack of powerfists makes me uneasy.
*Chosen IMO has too many weapons to be effective.
*DP's is ok.

My 2 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline tzeentchling

• Infinity Circuit
  • Cthulhu for Pres! Why vote for the lesser evil?
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 02:01:13 PM »
You could always drop the MoT on the Prince and field him undivided - I know it's a way of getting his 4++ save, but it's not really needed, and those 20 points can be spend better elsewhere.  For instance, upgrading to Possession on the Vindicator (which will have every anti-tank gun pointed at it as soon as it appears). 

It's a reasonable list overall, but I'm not sure you really have any way of concentrating your force - the units are good in their own right, but I just don't see how they'll work together.  For instance, if the Chosen are infiltrated close, they don't have any reliable support - maybe the daemons if you choose to bring them in there, but otherwise nothing.  The Prince is speedy and good, but he has no backup.  The 10-man squads are shooty, and perhaps that's how you could focus the list, but then it's hard to move and grab objectives, and they're not great at it.  Everything is a reasonable choice, it just doesn't come together, I think.  I'd need to spend time thinking about it to figure out a better solution using what you've listed and the options.

One option - drop the Vindicator entirely and one Obliterator, to take a unit of 8 Havocs with missile launchers.  Give the 10-man squads two plasma guns and Champions with powerfists, and perhaps make the Chosen 4-melta and a powerfist or something.  The anti-tank weapons of your opponent then don't have a target, the 10-man squads can advance and fire if need be and are capable in close combat, and the chosen infiltrate with the intent of taking out armor.  The daemons can support them, and the Prince makes a counter-charger.  The one oblit drops to take out tanks, or finds cover somewhere and snipes.  It's still not the best - I feel the Chosen will still feel unsupported most of the time, particularly if the Daemons don't come in, but I think it'd be an upgrade.
"Every intelligent person, as you know, dreams of being a gangster and of ruling over society by force alone" - Albert Camus

My eldar record in 5th Edition: 3W-1D-1L (12/6/08)

Tactical Guide to CSM: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=148628.0

Offline ppryan

• Black Guardian
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 02:12:08 PM »
The way i hope it would work is the prince is fast and should make a turn 2 or 3 charge into assault. My hope is his support will be the summoned daemons coming from the chosen squad. If all works as planned he would be backed up by 1 maybe 2 of the daemon squads

The vindicator is in the list primarily as a cheaper fire magnet. Since most armies use anti tank weapons to kill marines (ie lascannons, ML) then any shots from those deflected towards the tank will allow for my marines to live longer. My hope is the vindicator moved forward turn 1 and pops smoke then turn 2 starts firing the cannon. This of course would be helped with daemonic possesion which i will try to find pts for. The marine squads are both meant to provide a steady firebase. They have enough models to be durable and will flank the vindicator to grab objectives. With the mark of chaos glory im hoping they wont run away.

I am trying to make this a shooty oriented list with all assault elements kept in the daemons and prince. Again i have though about adding a greater daemon and dropping one of the summoned units. That would add 2 monsterous creatures to the list. Add that to the 28 marines 2 oblits, and an armour 13 tank and id hope most 1250 lists dont have enough firepower to take them all down

I would be willing to try and turn the chosen into an assault unit but im at a loss of how to effectively do that without it costing double what it does now, let me know back any suggestions