News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: help making an army list  (Read 331 times)

Offline rei shimizu

help making an army list
« on: September 18, 2006, 10:25:10 PM »
ok so still new to the 40k
took off like 2~3weeks due to school since i started buying them
but now that its finals week, i have about 1.5weeks to buy/paint things

but im not really sure on what to buy
currently this is what i have

1x 8man squad chaos space marines
1x 8man squad Emporer's Children
1x 5man squad raptor
3x 1man chaos havoc w/ autocannon

for now, i know im going to buy
1x 8man squad chaos space marines
3x 1man rator blister
and some sort of HQ

the games i'll prolly be playing will be 1500~2000points army list due to the fact no one plays smaller at the place i go to buy stuff (unless i play with my friend)

i want to put 2 more units in the Havoc squad but not sure with what
1 man has to be taken from the CSM squad to make the havoc squad to make it a 5 man squad
which leaves me with 1 more slot of special weapons

after that, im really not sure what else to buy to make my army

are rhinos worth buying ? my friend told me that its just a moving coffin so not so sure if i want to buy one but it is a transport

also i do have another question

can an army list have a squad of slaanesh and nurgle as elites ?

thanks for your time

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
Re: help making an army list
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 02:10:24 PM »
As long as your Lord is unmarked, you can take Cult troops as Elites (remember the Ancient Enemies rule, though). 

Rhinos are good to take, but don't expect them to ferry assault troops or to last long if you send them charging at the enemy.  Most people tend to use them in a drive-by fashion now, driving the Rhino toward the enemy lines (using Cover where possible) and then disembarking a shooting unit in later turns.  Whether the Marines have CCWs or Bolters is up to you, being able to plant the full squad + 2 Meltas or 2 Flamers or 2 Plasma Guns by the enemy is plenty lethal. 

Since it's your only vehicle unit, I would suggest getting another Rhino or not using them at all.  If the enemy list is full of Lascannons that one vehicle is the only prime target, you'll have to keep it out of sight or expect it to 'splode early in the game.

I think your purchasing plans are fine.  I'm not sure what you're asking about the Havok squad, though.  Any Marine can be used in a Havok squad, there are no specific models for them (other than the ones featured in the Havok Squad box, but those can be used as Havoks, Marines, Chosen, et cetera, so long as the weapon limits are followed).
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline rei shimizu

Re: help making an army list
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 08:26:37 PM »
thanks for the input

whats a good number of rhino to have in a 1500~2000pt army? 2~3 ?