News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tau List  (Read 2767 times)

Offline AceV53

Tau List
« on: August 9, 2002, 06:51:51 PM »
Here's my army list I was planning to use against an assault based Eldar player. (Lots of Banshees, Avatar, Fire Dragons, Scorpions). I could use some thoughts on this. Thanks!  :)
Headquarters               Total of 341 points
   1 Shas’o
      Plasma Rifle
      Missile Pod
      Fusion Blaster
      Multi-Tracker
      Target Lock
   2 Shas’vre
      Twin-Linked Plasma Rifles
      1 Missile Pod/1 Fusion Blaster
      Gun Drone Controller
         2 Shield Drones
      Team is Bonded
Troops                  Total of 361 points
   1 Shas’ui
      Markerlight
               11 Shas’la
      Team is Bonded
      Team has Photon Grenades
               1 Kroot Shaper
      Pulse Rifle
               16 Kroot
      Kroot Rifles
   12 Gue’Vesa’La
      1 Pulse Rifle/1 Pulse Carbine
Heavy Support               Total of 780 points
   1 Shas’vre
      Twin-Linked Railguns
      Multi-Tracker
   1 Shas’ui
      Twin-Linked Railguns
      Multi-Tracker
   1 Shas’ui
      Twin-Linked Railguns
      Smart Missile System
      Drone Controller
         2 Shield Drones
      Team is Bonded
   1 Shas’vre
      Twin-Linked Railguns
      Smart Missile System
      Multi-Tracker
   1 Shas’ui
      Twin-Linked Railguns
      Smart Missile System
      Multi-Tracker
   1 Shas’ui
      Twin-Linked Railguns
      Smart Missile System
      Drone Controller
         2 Shield Drones
      Team is Bonded
   1 Hammerhead
      Railgun
      Smart Missile System
      Multi-Tracker
      1 Seeker Missile
      Decoy Launchers
      Gun Drone Pair

I have 18 points left over, have any ideas as to what I should add?
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
- General George Patton (1885-1945)

"All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work."
-Steve Martin in Sergeant Bilko

Offline Aerundel

• My name is Oobedoob Benubi.
    • My BatRep
Re:Tau List
« Reply #1 on: August 9, 2002, 07:53:20 PM »
I'd say add a h-w Target Lock to your Shas'ui fire warrior. He's got a markerlight, so you might as well let him use it on stuff his unit isn't engaged in, especially since you don't have any pathfinders.

Offline AceV53

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2002, 01:51:32 AM »
Good idea thanks alot.  :)
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "

Offline Commander Ikari

• Show me a problem, not easily solved by a railgun!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2002, 07:45:59 AM »
I never use the Shas'O, and when I use him I deepstrike him into enemy ground and lets the tank hunt begin.

6 Broadsides?!?!?!?!??!!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!!??!?!!?
What are you facing? A 3000  points armoured company?!?!?!?!!??! I use three, when facing opponents with a high number of tanks. More infantery is needed to support all those broadsides. Use atleast 36 firewarriors in 1500 games.
"Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hatred and hatred leads to suffering."

Offline MrMischief

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2002, 09:10:10 AM »
Accually, I dont use a Commander at all, i have an Ethereal for my HQ. hes cheap and he lets me re roll morale checks.

ya with that list you need more firewarriors, you dont need 36 but 24 with the kroot and imp-gaurd back up should be good.

i cant think of a time when i'd need 6 broadsides, and to think u spend $180 on that, thats insane. If u didnt have those Broadsides, i would tell you to get a DevilFish for one of you FW squads, and a 5 stealth suits, thats a good reason to have alot of markerlights.

i like to get my pathfinders to paint a enemy squad for my stealth suits, and hopfully i can get 5 hits out of my 8 pathfinders, so i can get like 12 hits of burst cannon fire, and believe me, that many shots can nuke just about any squad, even marines, it shreads Eldar/Orks/Gaunts
"Knowlage pursues me, But I am faster"

Offline Ranger Astheria

• Formerly 'Ranger of Alaitoc'
  • Ancient
  • Holding onto a thread of hope...
    • Realm of Runes
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2002, 01:56:05 PM »
If the Eldar player is Biel Tann then he takes his assault troops as troops.  Looking at your army list I'm sorry to say that I'm almost disgusted, but it is fixable and I have a good reason to be that way.

First off you have as many Heavy Support Choices as you do troops!  If you ever take this army to a tournament you will get hammered on composition.  As a rule most gaming clubs have people build their armies in a tournament like fashion so noone builds a beardy army.  Secondly, you took the cheapest troop type available to you so I almost don't count the Human Auxillaries as a troop.

Here is my #1 reason:

TAU HAVE THE BEST ARMED TROOP IN THE GAME.  Your standard troops have 30" range S5 AP5 guns.  Use this to your advantage.  Your troops massed fire will cut down more troops  than 6 tl railguns.  40k has changed if you played in 2nd edition.  Big guns, super characters, and more big guns won't win you the game.  Your troops and how you use them will.  Sorry for my anger.

Click my banner to visit Realm of Runes for all your WFB needs!

Offline Aerundel

• My name is Oobedoob Benubi.
    • My BatRep
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2002, 05:05:56 PM »
I keep hearing Eldar players saying to Tau, "Don't use troops cause my <crazy name> army will just assault the hell out of you." And then I hear "Don't use heavies cause my <other crazy name> army will just shoot you down." WTF? Do you guys just want to trash other races no matter which army composition they use? I know this is part of EldarOnline, but I'd expect at least a little impartiality here.  :-\

And also, did you ever think that this guy hasn't bought anymore troops besides what came with the battleforce/army? I've been collecting the expensive stuff first, myself. Maybe that's what this guy is doing too.

Offline Mystic511

• I *Love* EldarOnline! No, really, i do!
    • Personal Website
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2002, 06:44:50 PM »
Six broadsides is very insane.  Most armies have a heavy weapons squad or vehicle choices that would eat through your broadsides since they are pretty imobile.  You're investing alot of points into something that may or may not return their worth in points during the actual battle.

It's kool that you used auxilaries, but you're not using them in enough numbers for them be to affective, and you don't have enough fire warriors to back them up.

Right now, half your army is heavy support.  A squad of powerweapon troops would really enjoy munching on a 250+ point squad that did a less then average job fighting back.

You really dont' like your troop choices that much?  Firewarriors are probably the best investment in terms of what they can do versus their point cost.

And if you are set on using 2 squads of broadsides, at least have a squad of pathfinders so they can use their markerlights and let the broadsides hit better.

Offline AceV53

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2002, 06:54:18 PM »
Hehe judging by your replies, 6 broadsides is friggin insane.  :) Well I am remaking my list right now to include your tips. Thanks alot for the advice. I'll post my new version as soon as I get it done.

Master Archon

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2002, 08:30:50 PM »
A Hammerhead w/ Railgun can really hurt the eldar.  First it can destory the transport with it's S10 Shot and then it can destory the entire squad with its submunition Str.6 AP 4 (no banshee armour saves  ;D)  I would at least take one more instead of 3 of those Broadsides.  2 Hammerheads can really pummel the eldar elite choices with 4+ armour saves.

Offline AceV53

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2002, 10:17:19 PM »
Ok Here's the revised list. Just to let you all know I'm a newbie to the game so please try not to kill me if this list could be improved.  :)  Thanks.

Headquarters         Total of 233 points
   1 Shas’o - Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Fusion Blaster, Multi-Tracker, Target Lock
   1 Shas’vre - Twin-Linked Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Gun Drone Controller w/2 Shield Drones Team is Bonded

Troops                         Total of 579 points
   1 Shas’ui - Markerlight, Target Lock
   11 Shas’la - Team has Photon Grenades, Team is Bonded
   1 Shas’ui - Markerlight, Target Lock
   11 Shas’la - Team has Photon Grenades, Team is Bonded   
   1 Kroot Shaper - Pulse Rifle
   19 Kroot - Kroot Rifles
   12 Gue’Vesa’La - 1 Pulse Rifle/1 Pulse Carbine

Fast Attack         Total of 167 points
   1 Shas’ui Pathfinder - Pulse Carbine, Markerlight, Target Lock
   4 Shas’la Pathfinders - Pulse Carbines, Markerlight, Team is Bonded
   1 Devilfish Troop Carrier

Heavy Support         Total of 520 points
     1 Shas’vre Broadside - Twin-Linked Railguns, Twin-Linked Plasma Rifles, Multi-Tracker
     1 Shas’ui Broadside - Twin-Linked Railguns, Smart Missile System, Drone Controller w/2 Shield Drones Team is Bonded
     1 Hammerhead - Railgun, Smart Missile System, Multi-Tracker, Decoy Launchers, Target Lock
     1 Hammerhead - Railgun, Smart Missile System, Multi-Tracker,1 Seeker Missile, Target Lock, Decoy Launchers

Overall Total of 1499 Points

Offline Mystic511

• I *Love* EldarOnline! No, really, i do!
    • Personal Website
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2002, 12:50:52 AM »
overall, MUUUCHHH better then your first list.  Excellent revising skills, and i'm very glad that you take critisism so well.

I have no complaints about the list.  It seems very versatile, and lots of troops to give your army more 'bulk'.

Some people will probably telly ou to drop the auxilaries.. but you know, i'm glad you're taking advantage of chapter approved and using uncommon troops.

You'll have lots of fun building them.  I know i did.   ;D