News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Cadians and friends, an ongoing blog.  (Read 1364 times)

Offline skorch_sa

Cadians and friends, an ongoing blog.
« on: January 2, 2008, 04:45:28 AM »
Hey guys!

Im currently working on a IG+DH combo army, IG being the main, but trying to keep the forces even.
Since these photos have been taken i have painted the leather on the guardsmen, and am awaiting the right colours to do the flesh.  ;D

Here a the first few of my WIP guardsmen from my IG and GK army.

Here is a little fellow i was working on before i got my guardsmen: a deathwatch inquisitor/ commander.

As always with anything i post, comments and constructive critisism are much appreciated.

Next: I will have pics up of my Leman Russ in its construction phase!

Also, rarther than make 2 threads on different boards, would it be acceptable to post major conversions in here? I realise this is a painting board and thats why I ask.  :)
« Last Edit: January 2, 2008, 04:55:56 AM by skorch_sa »

Offline StraightSilver

Re: Cadians and friends, an ongoing blog.
« Reply #1 on: January 2, 2008, 05:02:31 AM »
Heya, well first off welcome to the Guard!! ;D. They will give you many years of painting fun!

I really like these so far, I also painted up my guard as 8th Cadian. You have quite a unique style, especially on the fatigues, but it is very effective. The layering works well, and has an almost anime quality to it. The only thing I might suggest is one final highlight on the armour, although that might well be just the photos. At the momet it looks a bit dark, maybe a very fine layer of camo green?

The Inquisistor though is very very nice. Is that a Coteaz conversion? I love the black armour, and think the helmet works very well on that model. The only thing I would suggest on him would be to maybe pick out the Inquisition symbol on the Thunder Hammer in a different colour, but then is he still WIP too?
Dig in, and wait for winter.

Offline Magus_42

• Deathwing Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: January 2, 2008, 10:39:37 AM »
I really like that inquisitor.

Offline Aervyper Venom

• Neophyte
  • Jade Reavers
« Reply #3 on: January 2, 2008, 11:07:16 AM »
awesome inquisitor. Did you GS the fur? Looks all around super keep up the good work.
Armies:
-Space Marines: Jade Reavers
- Imperial Guard: Catachan 221
- Eldar
- Orks
- Aervyper Venom

Offline skorch_sa

« Reply #4 on: January 2, 2008, 11:31:52 AM »
Thanks all for your replies, pelase keep them coming! Im the sort of guy who lacks motivatoin to paint (even though i like doing it) so all your comments really help.

awesome inquisitor. Did you GS the fur? Looks all around super keep up the good work.

Nope, that fur comes on the coteaz model, i lost a small bit of it making room for his helmet, and making the mantle for the iron halo, but other than thar, it all metal.

The Inquisistor though is very very nice. Is that a Coteaz conversion? I love the black armour, and think the helmet works very well on that model. The only thing I would suggest on him would be to maybe pick out the Inquisition symbol on the Thunder Hammer in a different colour, but then is he still WIP too?

Yup, hes still a WIP, i need to complete all the things on his belt, and the daemonhammer.

As said, here are some pics of my russ, before primer.
Sinse these photos have been taken, ive straitened up the chain on the track holder a little.

The engine cover will be hinged sometime soon.

C&C please!  ;D

Next: Pics of completed guardsmen minus base, hopefully the rest of the army will be the same. Also, pics of my commander (maybe a commander).

Offline DJBtod

« Reply #5 on: January 2, 2008, 03:25:02 PM »
The painting is out standing, espically your ability to highlight. Models look great, but they look like every other IG players cadians. Some new poses, or trademark items would make em more personalized (just my 2 cents).

~dan

Offline Gothmog

« Reply #6 on: January 2, 2008, 09:46:22 PM »
Excellent technique on the guardsmen :)

Offline The Hobo Hunter

« Reply #7 on: January 3, 2008, 06:30:47 AM »
The painting is out standing, espically your ability to highlight. Models look great, but they look like every other IG players cadians. Some new poses, or trademark items would make em more personalized (just my 2 cents).

~dan

I dunno, most of the cadians I see aren't even highlighted, let alone highlighted well (mine for example are pretty bad). A good paintjob can make even the most craptacular model look outstanding. Those are better than mine, and I've had a hundred or so 'practise' guardsmen.

The inquisitor looks even better from a models-eye-view than I thought. Awesome job - the cape, fur coat, the black highlighting (a real be-atch IMO), everything really.

Keep those guardsmen churning. Your Emperor needs more meat in the grinder loyal and steadfast soldiers.
We have more men than you have bullets!