News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New take on tau culture-Inca influence  (Read 959 times)

Offline Pokpoko

• Fell deeds await
New take on tau culture-Inca influence
« on: April 23, 2006, 11:34:46 AM »
ok, i posted it first at Warseer forum, but i figured that a dedicated tau board might be a better place to get feedback( i hope that it doesn't count as bad net manners or anything? :-X)

anyway, as topic suggests:all the reasons why i belive that the tau are just as heavily influenced by south american culture as by asiatic.

1)Sure, the battlesuits and fire warriors still retain their looks and asian influences.
however, the new, and slightly re-edited fluff included in the new codex, and the general patterns seem to resemble Incan empire(Tahuantinsuyu).

Of course, there will be lots of things that will not fit together, like the great
importance of religion in Inca's lives, and many rituals, some of which included human sacrifice have no direct counterparts in tau civilization, but that's the way GW does it-draw influences from historical sources, but not enought to make them too prelevant.

2) Now, i'll try to name the things i belive can be used to support my opinion(in other words, i'll name the similarities,anything else will be a difference by default).
I'm sure that there are users with greater knowledge of the topic than me, so if you think i'v made a mistake somewhere, feel free to correct me

ok, here we go(in no particular order, just as i go)

-The beggining of tau empire- one world, which quickly dominated surrounding systems, and incorporated lesser races into their empire. nearly identical to what Incas did after settling things in Cuzco-their conquests were lead by their Kings, and as each ruler conquered huge territories(by the local standards), the Incas forged an empire in span of some 200 years.

-The Tau incorporate other races into their empire, putting each race's natural skills into best use,be it as mercenaries or artisans. same in the Ands-when a nation/clan/region was conquered by incas, the Great Inca required tithe in the local materials(the whole economical system of incan politics is so spectacularly alien that i just won't delve any deeper), even ordered a certain group of artisans to be re-settled near the capital, to ensure the steady flow of goods.

-the expansion of tau empire and the expansion of Inca empire: tau, according to the new codex, expanded(expand) in three spheres of colonization. the Inca empire also experienced the same growth pattern-the three succesive kings, Pachacuti Inka, his son, Tupac Inka, and his son Huayna Capac all added immense territories to the state, and forming three succesive layers of conquered territory(that's how it would look if put on a map at least),each reaching further than the last.

-The interactions between tau and other races: the tau have a slightly better position in the empire than the rest of the incorporated races.
Even among those races, there is difference, shown on the example of Vespids: if the race is willing to embrace the Greater Good fully, it's held in greater esteem by the Tau than a race that works for them out of pure interest,like kroot.
It's similar to the situation in tahuantinsuyu, where the original incas from the capital had the title of "Blood Inca" and were able to hold the highest of positions. then there were "Incas of Title", members of the tribes living closest to the Cuzco, and ones that have fallen under the Inca's power the earliest. Also, since in the empire of 10+ million people only max.1millon were actual Incas, all the region governors and tribe leaders held this title.
They were not equal in status to the blood incas, but were above the rest of tribes.

-Tau way of war: the tau lead war in a civilized manner, if the enemy gives up, they'll accept it and most likely not enforce any sanctions on that new member of empire.
However, if a race cannot be negotiated with , and understands only violence, like Orks or tyranids, the tau will exterminate such threath completely.
The comparison here can be drawn to the incan heavily ritualized war system-if an enemy gave up after they were defeated "properly" and did not rebel,they could get away with very little sanctions or thithes.
However, should they not respect the laws or war, they would be mercilessly slaughtered. same happened should the enemy act "honorless" from the beggining, they could be declared "not-human" and be put down like beasts, with no loss for the laws of war,as they were not subject to it.

-Symbolism: 5 castes-four normal, and the ethereals. the incan empire also was divided into four provinces, all meeting in the Capital, Cuzco, which was a separate(fifth) entity, politically speaking.

-The notion of "ayni"(reciprocity), that binded even the gods of Ands. if something was done to you, an act/gift of similar value must be returned to keep the balance of "power"(or force,for us geeks).
Some similarity may be drawn to the "greater Good" of tau, which commands everyone to work for the benefit of the entire community,especially since the main pragmatical use of the Ayni notion in life was to ensure that when neighbors will ask you to help him build a house he'll be compelled to help you in similar situation.

-The role of King on the battlefield, and it's similarity to the Ethereal's role: Great Inca, should he be present himself on a battlefield, did not take part in the physical part of the conflict-unlike the kings of europe, he did not lead a charge against the foe. his role was to command army(with the help of his generals of course), but mainly to do battle on the astral plane-
since he was sun/thunder god's brother, he commanded power over lesser gods, and he had to make the opposing god(as every region or clan had it's own god)obedient, or destroy it, thus ensuring victory on the field.
The exact role of Ethereals on the field is uncertain, but given their rules in the game(inspiring presence,and price of failure), it may be said that they lend the fighters courage and certainty of purpose, much like the king of Incas.

-The methods of communication: tau lack the astropaths of imperium, so to communicate between star systems utilizing the message boats and waystations, much like the Incas,who utilized runners deployed along the imperial roads to pass messages between provinces.

-Third Sphere Expansion and the Incan empire before the coming of Spaniards:the Great Inca before the Atahualpa(the one who was captured by Spaniards) spend most of his life outside capital, at the very fringe of his domain, battling the mountain tribes in attempt to push forward his realm. with him stood loyal generals, and much of the imperial military forces. the situation is somewhat resembling that of Aun'Va, the oldest and most influential of ethereals and commander Shadowsun, who also reside in the newest septworlds, near to the frontline.

-This also brings us to the topic of Incan civil war, and the Farsight schism. the link here is the most feeble, but i still feel that it may be found: the incan war started when the last inca died on the frontier, and his one son, from the "main" wife resided in the capital, and his "lesser" son was with him in the campaign. they fought for the control of the empire, each side commanding the south and north of the country, after Atahualpa refused to return to the capital. it may be similar to the situation of Farsight, who refused to return to the tau-held space after the death of his etherals, and instead set out to build his own little empire with his loyal veterans.

I'm certain i'v missed some things, and didn't put as much detail into others, but i hope that the above text makes at least some sense
so, what is your view on the above ideas? i missed the point completely? i'v forgotten something vital?
feel free to disagree ;)
You, who are in the thick of battle-
My heart seeks the death by the obsidian blade
We wish only for the death in battle!