News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1750 list for 40kOnline Tournament  (Read 2021 times)

Offline SeriousCallersOnly

• Brother Sergeant
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • This is not a Space Marine
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Tyranids
1750 list for 40kOnline Tournament
« on: July 25, 2012, 04:18:47 PM »
I'll be attending the 40kOnline tournament in August, and will most likely take the nids. I'll probably be the only nid player, as it was just me and Chuckles last time, and he's not coming this year. I've not really played much since the last one, and have not yet played a game in 6th. This is the list I used at last year's tournament - can anyone see any improvements I could make, and has anyone any advice for making the best use of Tyranids in the Brave New World of 6th Edition?

HQ:
Hive Tyrant with 1x Tyrant Guard, lash whip & bone sword, HVC, hive commander, paroxysm and leech essence (280)

ELITES:
2x Hive guard (100)
2x Zoanthropes, spore (160)
6x Ymgarl genestealers (138)

TROOP:
8x regular Genestealers (112)
4x Warriors, ST, AG, deathspitters (160)
Tervigon, AG, TS, catalyst (195)
10x Termagants with devourers, spore (140)
20x Hormagaunts, TS (160)

HEAVY:
Biovore (45)
Trygon Prime, AG (255)

1745 pts

Most units performed adequately last time. If anyone the tyrant was probably the most underwhelming. Most Valuable Units were the Trygon, Tervigon and Ymgarls.

Available for substitutes are: Warrior prime, warrior with barbed strangler, carnifex fully magnetised for options, another squad of 8 stealers (unpainted), 1 extra hiveguard (unpainted). I would prefer to avoid painting anything extra.

Offline Unleash Mayhem

• - In Vulkan's Name -
  • Armies: Salamanders 1st and 2nd Company, Imperial Guard
Re: 1750 list for 40kOnline Tournament
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 05:50:43 PM »
The 2+ save upgrade for your MCs might be more worth it this time around, since it will still give you a save against the now mainly ap3 force weapons. Just a suggestion, I'm not a huge nid player.

For the record, I'm the Salamander player who played you last year and you were the only person I managed to beat. :)

• Brother Sergeant
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 03:16:57 AM »
I remember the game - I couldn't seem to do much against your vehicles. It was a solid list.

I lost to you and Kiling Time, drew against Changeyname, and won against Greg's Forgeworld Orks. Are you coming this year?

Offline Unleash Mayhem

• - In Vulkan's Name -
  • Armies: Salamanders 1st and 2nd Company, Imperial Guard
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 03:37:58 AM »
Yep I am, shaking up my list a bit for 6th though, might post it later like you have.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 05:54:46 AM »
I agree, 2+ saves are much more valuable because they give you protection against most power weapons. Stuff that does ignore it will usually be striking at I1, so that will give you the chance to get attacks in even with the slowest of beasts (such as carnifexes! - which sound scary in the new edition)

Of course, the tyrant is another monstrous creature to deal with, and a serious threat - so perhaps his inclusion is what allowed your tervigon and trygon to go more unscathed... otherwise, those big guns would be turning against them instead! I'd also suggest reading the rules for flying monstrous creatures. They are insanely cool, and if you are able to get wings for that tyrant then this could be a very flexible choice. Plus this would give you some much needed anti air.

Also, it might be fun to use a second tervigon as your HQ... (I seem to recal you used a conversion last time and since bought the actual model no?) cheaper, and still annoyed target priority plus it'll be fun watching you run out of gaunts! lol!

You may even have the points for a tyranid prime too (which should be really good in combat challenges)

• Brother Sergeant
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 04:19:53 PM »
Yup, my Tervi last time was a converted (magnetised) carnifex, so with the new one I could potentially field two tervigons.

Think you're right about the tyrant-as-bullet-magnet. Quite expensive for a bullet magnet though. Perhaps dropping the guard and adding wings would make him more effective, and scarier. I had noticed that anti-air will be an issue, but short of winging up with FMCs, I can't see much I can do about it.

I'll look into the 2+ options though. Seemed a waste of points last edition, but with the change to force and power weapons, could be worth it now.

Is it worth swapping out any psy powers? Biomancy looks quite useful.