News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Phoenix lord - Grizzlykin entry - swift hunt  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
Phoenix lord - Grizzlykin entry - swift hunt
« on: August 26, 2015, 06:46:51 PM »
Updated list please concider the first one in this post.

Karandras
1 squad of 8 scorpions + 1 exarch with scorpion claw

1 unit of 8 ranger and one unit of 7 ranger

2 squad of 3 scatter bike.

1 squad of 7 warp spyder + 1 exarch twinlinked death spinner

1 crimson hunter exarch

1 heymlock wraith fighter

2 nightspinner with shurican and holofield, not in squadron.

With this i kep the core thought of the previous list (see second post), and had some more mobility and firepower. Loosing the 2 crimson hunter will make it harder versus heavy tank but the heymlock can handle that pretty nicely aswell. It's probably the most balanced unit in this list as it can both horde control and anti tank, the psychic support it gives is a bonus.
With the two nightspinner separated i can cover more board with them while preventing them from getting destroyed too fast.
And the scatter bike, well they are scatter bike do i need to explain myself for these one>< and yes as you suggest i will keep them in reserve to prevent there disparition before the key moments.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:03:17 AM by Grizzlykin »
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: Phoenix lord - Grizzlykin entry - swift hunt
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 09:47:22 PM »
I like your use of the rangers and scorpions infiltrating and getting good board control. Maelstorm missions are going to be trouble with only two 5 man troops that are going to remain static the whole game, but I wouldn't drop them. I think if you balance their static play-style with a very mobile troop choice like windriders, I think it would play quite well. I would take the two units of rangers and fit in two units of jetbikes to snatch objectives as you can. I would possibly start with the bikes of the board and only setup the scorpions and rangers, especially if you did not get first turn.

Three night spinners and three flyers seems a little overkill at 1500 points. Those two units take up more than half of the entire army. Whittling down those units or taking one of them, will give you tons of points to spend on beefing up the rest of your army. Also, you don't leave very much choice for your opponent to target. The night spinners are in a squadron and only make for a single target, which could effectively be removed quickly from focused firing and any turn 2 outflankers. That doesn't leave you with much on the board after that. Flyers are great, three is scary, but you go up against a 'nid or ork horde, with the few shots they put out for the points you are piling into them, its going to take a long time to kill 70+ ork boys or gaunts for the same points. Although I do give you that the night spinners horde control compliments the high strength, focused strength of your flyers.

Overall I like what you are going for. The rangers and scorpions are a great compliment. The crimson hunters and doomweavers compliment each other as well. Spiders seem to fit the theme of an ambush/surprise task force. The only thing that I would really try and do is add some more versatility into the list by taking some different units.

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 05:52:10 AM »
Diversity huum that's the problem i had forseen aswell. Then here are some change.

Karandras
1 squad of 8 scorpions + 1 exarch with scorpion claw

1 unit of 8 ranger and one unit of 7 ranger

2 squad of 3 scatter bike.

1 crimson hunter exarch

1 heymlock wraith fighter

2 nightspinner with shurican and holofield, not in squadron.

With this i kep the core thought of the previous army, and had some more mobility and firepower. Loosing the crimson hunter will make it harder vs heavy tank but the heymlock can handle that pretty well. It's probably the most balanced unit in this list as it can both horde control and anti tank, the psyker support is a bonus.
With the two nightspinner separated i can cover more board with them while preventing them from getting destroyed too fast.
And the scatter bike, well they are scatter bike do i need to explain myself for these one>< and yes as you suggest i will keep them in reserve to prevent there disparition before the key moments.

What do you think?

Hello guy's ^^ it's been a while since i started a new topic :D Well, here comes my entry for the phoenix lord compétition.

Took me a while to find something i wanted so here we go.

Karandras
1 squad of 8 scorpions + 1 exarch scorpion clws

2 squad of 5 ranger

1 squad of 7 warp spyder + 1 exarch with twinlinked death spinner.

1 squadron of 3 nightspinner, shurican and holofield each.

1 crimson death formation. Bright lance on exarch.

This makes for 1494 points i think.

The idea behind this list was a bit similar to the one i did before in the precision strike force, yet different. Have the scorpion and ranger infiltrate occupying the mid field, and have the night spinner cover the back field and handle hord control. The spyder are here as a supporting unit, their grand speed allowing them to support either rear, either front depending on the situation. The crimson hunters are to handle the anti tank role and provide fire support onto any hard to kill target they see fit to shot at.

The boons of this list are the ability to be at the front line before the game start and make use of that to have the initiative on the opponents over board control, the definitive power lf the rear and front unit supported by a quick moving units, there is supossedly not many blind spot, the sky control; in a 1500 points having 3 flyer can be huge as the opponents will more than likely not have much anti-air.

The cons of such a list is the lack of mobility for most of the army, i mean ranger won't move much and scorpion will more than likely go forwards. A solution could be swithcing one of the ranger squad for a jetbike squad with one heavy weapons, in the current meta it should be the right things to do. Perhaps even swap both ranger squad, what do you think? The other cons is the quite hevay number of resserve in such a game. 440 point in reserve could pose problem in the few early turn but i doubt it will be hard to handle, not in 7th ed at least (glory to the 3+).

There ypu go, what do you think?

quote the original post because i'm changing it for the new upgraded list.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 06:12:08 AM by Grizzlykin »

The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 08:18:45 AM »
I like the changes. Maybe take three five man squads of rangers instead of the seven and eight man you took. Fyi I don't think your link is setup correctly on the contest page.

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 11:10:47 AM »
hu ? not correctly set up?  i will go change that then. my bad :D

and the resaon not five is because i did not thought about it >< i'm such a moron and i thought it would be better having more body per squad.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 02:36:26 PM »
Lol. You're probably better doing five man units, as they are easier to hide and force your opponent to choose between more targets. You might even be able to keep the third one in reserves and outflank them.

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 04:37:25 PM »
Yeah that's totally true but i already posted the entry >< so that's void, but for next time i will keep it in mind.