News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Lictors  (Read 3989 times)

Offline Travellar

• Lieutenant
  • Hey Farley, call headquarters.
Lictors
« on: January 22, 2014, 01:26:45 PM »
Pro: Points cost reduced to usable range
Con: uses an Elite slot, prone to getting Insta-gibbed.

As a lone model, the Lictor relies on it's special rules to earn value... which is kind of insane.
As a pack hunter, these things ought to be lethal, especially when using cover and accompanied by a Venomthrope

As an alternative, how about a unit of Lictors deep in the army, (chillin with the Venoms), that wait till the end of the game to really get fully engaged with killing stuff and calling deepstrikes onto target?

*edit* just now realized they went up an attack, woohoo!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 01:27:51 PM by Travellar »
"he's either the most brilliant troll ever, or he's crazy." -Bloodhawk

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
Re: Lictors
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 03:07:56 PM »
I have always enjoyed the fluff-aspect of the lictors. They are, and always have been, a glass scalpel.

15 rending attacks on the charge can be quite a good deal, especially hitting most things on a 3+ and strong enough to insta guardsmen. It makes them viable for both anti - infantry and light tanks.

My issues are a few.

• Space marine power fists insta them
  • The save leaves a lot to be desired in close combat
  • Primary way of arriving - via deep strike - does not allow for charges upon arival
  • And finally; they are directly competing with Zoaranthropes, both in a FoC slot and in points

The idea of using a mawloc and lictor combo could be interesting though.
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 09:07:05 PM »
I have always enjoyed the fluff-aspect of the lictors. They are, and always have been, a glass scalpel.

15 rending attacks on the charge can be quite a good deal, especially hitting most things on a 3+ and strong enough to insta guardsmen. It makes them viable for both anti - infantry and light tanks.

My issues are a few.

• Space marine power fists insta them
  • The save leaves a lot to be desired in close combat
  • Primary way of arriving - via deep strike - does not allow for charges upon arival
  • And finally; they are directly competing with Zoaranthropes, both in a FoC slot and in points
At their point cost and their being gibbed weakness, why not just take warriors/shrikes at that point?  You only loose a few special rules and gain synapse!  And speaking about specail rules;
The idea of using a mawloc and lictor combo could be interesting though.

I think the mawloc is the only thing that can actually use it Pheromone Trail effectively.  What else deep strikes? Trygons?  Not needed as they can't mishap.  Things with wings?  Probably a bad idea..... What else?  Overpriced tunnelling ripper swarms? No thanks.  Spore mines?  Eh... maybe?

I think my lictors are going to stay sitting on the shelf until the next codex. Pity... I miss their fun pop up and charge tactic.
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline bebe

• In Canada no one hears you scream
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 11:59:47 PM »

First off Lictors will be infiltrated now. Something we could not before. They also can GTG first turn if necessary they have stealth, move through cover flesh hooks hit and run fleet ... what are you looking for? They are certainly stronger than the last codex and Mawlocs are now excellent so I fully expect to see them played. And they are LD10 .. they aren't running anywhere. With a 3+ save very possible they will do fine in many builds.
Big man, Pig man, Ha ha, charade you are

You well heeled big wheel, Ha ha, charade you are

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 09:30:35 AM »

First off Lictors will be infiltrated now. Something we could not before. They also can GTG first turn if necessary they have stealth, move through cover flesh hooks hit and run fleet ... what are you looking for? They are certainly stronger than the last codex and Mawlocs are now excellent so I fully expect to see them played. And they are LD10 .. they aren't running anywhere. With a 3+ save very possible they will do fine in many builds.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmm...... If lictors are viable, I thought of a list.

2 CC flyrants, 3 broods of 3 lictors, 2 mawlocs, trygon prime, and then the rest stealers.  Maybe slip some spore mines in there.

Infiltrate everything, flyrants swoop forward.  1st turn, the whole army is within 12"-18". They have one turn to do something then its nothing but assault. Lictors make the Mawlocs hit with precision, flyrants can take the overwatch.

Its an interestsing list. 
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 07:59:11 AM »
To be honest, the list I've been considering is on step further; deathleaper, nine lictors, fifty stealers (in broods of ten led by broodlords), and three mawlocs.  A pure assault infiltrate army is pretty rare these days.

One other thing to mention to people if considering lictors: l8ok into the leviathan rising datalate - the lictor forest brood is epic. Firstly the brood is five lictors not three, secondly,  when in forests it gets shrouded rather than stealth, and thirdly its allowed to infiltrate within 6" if enemy models if within forests.

Ninjas rule the jungle.
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
    • SIUC Strategic Games Society
  • Armies: IG,SW,SoB,Chaos Cultist,ImpFist 5C,INQ
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 01:41:04 PM »
when in forests it gets shrouded rather than stealth

Which would mean that forest save == hill/wall, if I'm doing the math correctly.
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline bebe

• In Canada no one hears you scream
« Reply #7 on: February 1, 2014, 08:12:54 PM »

My current list uses Lictors

- 1750 Nids -

Flyrant, Adrenal Glands, Lashwhip and Bonesword, TL Devouers w/ Brainleech Worms, Hive Commander 275
Tyranid Prime, Toxin Sacs, Maw-claws of Thyrax,  Devourer 145 (outflanking) - Warlord

30 Termagants, 20x Devourers 200 (outflanking)
Tervigon, Miasma Cannon 220

Hive Crone,  Stinger Salvo 165  (deep striking)
6 Shrikes, Scything Talons, 4x Rending Claws, 2x Lashwhip and Bonesword 240
6 Spore Mine Clusters 30 (deep striking)

Dataslate - Deathleaper's Assassin Squad
Deathleaper, 5 Lictors 380
(This formation gets preferred enemy against all characters and independent characters.
Additionally, all enemy units within 12" of a model from the formation suffer -1 to their Leadership.)

NidBastion, Comms Relay 95

i will be playing this tomorrow actually. I know I'm light on troops. Meh. I'll spawn one at least probably two. And really IB in this list is not a big issue. I will be DSing a winged MC. My drool cannon/spine salvo Crone will DS in most likely. My spore mines will of course DS. I'll probably also DS in at least one or two Lictors as well (they do not scatter now). I have a lot of LS/BS and rending in the list. I need help IF I face WKs or Riptides. I'll be in tough against heavy flyer lists ( Vendettas/5 FMC daemons/Stormwing, etc.) but you cannot build for everything with Nids. The fact that i get -1 LD and -D# LD to a character is quite a nice bonus too. In the old dex that formation would have been illegal and 75 points more expensive. Lictors have a place.
Big man, Pig man, Ha ha, charade you are

You well heeled big wheel, Ha ha, charade you are