News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2000 pts of Mobile Eldar [Please Rate!]  (Read 2209 times)

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
2000 pts of Mobile Eldar [Please Rate!]
« on: September 7, 2010, 08:08:39 AM »
THIS LIST IS OUT OF DATE. TO SEE THE MOST UP-TO-DATE VERSION OF THIS LIST, CLICK THIS LINK: http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=205077.msg2517295#msg2517295

It's been a while since I last posted an update about my army list, so I've started a new thread. The old one can be found here if you want to see how it started.
I'm updating my list again with some findings and revisions. Although it's mostly unpainted, I've played a couple of games with this army, and gotten a feel for what works and what doesn't work.
Some Observations:
  • Fire Dragons draw a LOT of fire (heh, fire).
  • Template Guardians get a lot of work done for a fairly low cost.
  • Powerblades on the Warp Spider Exarch are not very helpful, and Withdraw is too expensive for what it does. Also these poor guys have the highest mortality rate of any of my units Q_Q. I will convert the Exarch to not have power blades any longer.
  • Tank Shock is the best. Even if I'm losing terribly in 2-objective play, all it takes is a spare Wave Serpent to get all up in the opponent's business and contest a difficult to reach objective.
  • When they get to CC safely, Shining Spears are incredible.
  • I need more Jetbike target saturation.

Army List: Mobile Eldar

140p - Autarch w/ Jetbike, Laser Lance, Mandiblasters, Fusion Gun
110p - Farseer w/ Fortune, RoWit, RoWard

212p - 10 Striking Scorpions, one is Exarch w/ Claw, Stalker, Shadowstrike
113p - 6 Fire Dragons, one is Exarch w/ DB Flamer, Crack Shot
+        125p - Wave Serpent w/ Scatter Lasers, Spirit Stones
113p - 6 Fire Dragons, one is Exarch w/ DB Flamer, Crack Shot

130p - 10 Storm Guardians w/ 2 Flamers + Warlock w/ Destructor + Singing Spear
205p - 6 Guardian Jetbikes w/ 2 Shuricannons + Jetbike Warlock w/ Embolden, Singing Spear
205p - 6 Guardian Jetbikes w/ 2 Shuricannons + Jetbike Warlock w/ Embolden, Singing Spear

149p - 6 Warp Spiders, one is Exarch w/ x2 Deathspinner
237p - 5 Shining Spears, one is Exarch with Star Lance, Skillful Rider, Withdraw

Total Points: 1989

Force Composition: 33 Infantry, 28 Mounted/Jump Infantry, 3 Armor

Force Org Chart:
[v][v]
[v][v][v]
[v][v][v][ ][ ][ ]
[v][v][ ]
[ ][ ] [ ]

I have some (very few) spare points here. I'm considering a number of things, especially given my high Warp Spider mortality rate.

1) I feel like the Scorpion's Claw is counterproductive on the Scorpion Exarch when a Biting Blade could be producing similar strength numbers while preserving his excellent initiative. Has anyone used a Biting Blade with success?

2) I may drop the Warp Spiders entirely and either
  A) Pick up another scoring / harassment unit:
148p - 4 Guardian Jetbikes w/ 1 Shuricannon + Jetbike Warlock w/ Embolden, Singing Spear
  B) Rework entire Fast Attack Section to increase my Assault capabilities:
187p - 4 Shining Spears, one is Exarch with Skillful Rider, Withdraw
Leaving me with enough leftover points to give my Farseer a spear and stick him on a Jetbike if I implement idea 1. This will leave my Scorpions without Fortune but will add another fast-moving CC / AT threat. However, with only 5 models per squad, the Shining Spears will be taking moral checks more easily.
  C) Add a unit of Vyper Jetbikes to increase my number of annoying S6 shots and draw fire from my more important jetbikes:
120p - 2 Vyper Jetbikes with Scatter Lasers
The spare points will go to buying another Fire Dragon or two or upgrading the foot-seer.

3) Drop down my Scatter Lasers on my Fire Dragon Wave Serpents into Shuriken Cannons to shoehorn an additional Fire Dragon to each squad.

I'm leaning towards getting the extra scoring unit, since more scoring units is always good, but the idea of running two nearly full strength squads of Shining Spears is exciting, and going with the Vypers would let me beef up my AT and firepower in general.

Any thoughts regarding my list as it stands, and the changes I'm thinking of?
« Last Edit: November 6, 2010, 06:14:22 PM by Blazinghand »
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Moriat

• Fertilize all available Maiden ...Worlds!
Re: 2000 pts Mobile Eldar
« Reply #1 on: September 7, 2010, 08:45:39 AM »
Quote from: Blazinghand
1) I feel like the Scorpion's Claw is counterproductive on the Scorpion Exarch when a Biting Blade could be producing similar strength numbers while preserving his excellent initiative. Has anyone used a Biting Blade with success?
Unless you are sure not to face the orkz or nidz id stick to claw.
Claw gives you some versatility against heavy armored targets named nobz,  tyranid MC with 2+ and simply pesky marines. Even if Scorps die they will take some with 'em thx to claw.

for sure give them withdraw if you take them. This skill really make a difference.

148p - 4 Guardian Jetbikes w/ 1 Shuricannon + Jetbike Warlock w/ Embolden, Singing Spear
id stick to one big squad of spears, 4 is not enough bodies

Leaving me with enough leftover points to give my Farseer a spear and stick him on a Jetbike if I implement idea 1.
Yes, fortune spears!

This will leave my Scorpions without Fortune but will add another fast-moving CC / AT threat. However, with only 5 models per squad, the Shining Spears will be taking moral checks more easily.
AFAIK you cant infiltratee with farseer - he doesn't have ability so you don't have fortune anyway.
Thats why id go for as many Spears as possible in one squad

C) Add a unit of Vyper Jetbikes to increase my number of annoying S6 shots and draw fire from my more important jetbikes:
The spare points will go to buying another Fire Dragon or two or upgrading the foot-seer.
Id figures that the best option is EML, range helps to save the vyp (for obj contestin at the end) , last can scatter but usually wont tottally miss and youve got nice krak. And if enemy is wastin lascannon to killl vyper thats even better couse hes not shootin your serpents.

3) Drop down my Scatter Lasers on my Fire Dragon Wave Serpents into Shuriken Cannons to shoehorn an additional Fire Dragon to each squad.
FD and assault units operate near enemy. Thus distance is not much a case and thus difference of 1 S6 shot is not a  big thing. Priority is also delivery so you should never hesistate to drop shooting for hiding vehicle from fire or flatout.
That's why I never use scatters. Either shurikannon or EML/BL for real AT punch, if needed.
5 fd can kill any tank, just get them close.

I'm leaning towards getting the extra scoring unit, since more scoring units is always good, but the idea of running two nearly full strength squads of Shining Spears is exciting, and going with the Vypers would let me beef up my AT and firepower in general.
Any thoughts regarding my list as it stands, and the changes I'm thinking of?
Maybe scrap exarchs for 2 x 5FD in WS and try to look points for air cavalry (bladestorm avengers in WS)?
For 2k points 4 scorings would be nice.
Moriat

Proud user of NO Guardians!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: 2000 pts of Mobile Eldar
« Reply #2 on: September 7, 2010, 03:55:24 PM »
I get the impression that the list is working well for you overall, and that the discussion that we had in the old thread, with additional input form moc, was very useful, so I'm glad to see that, on the whole, you have had positive experiences with your army.

As far as your observations are concerned, they mirror my experiences too to a significant extent, although I feel that Withdraw and Powerblades can be worth taking if you field a large Warp Spider squad, and attach an Autarch to the unit.  I definitely agree with your decision to drop them in this list though, since a unit of six is too small for an assault role for Warp Spiders in my view.

If you don't face any MEQ armies, I could see some value in taking the Biting Blade, but in my experience, Marines are simply too common to warrant dropping the Scorpion's Claw.  I've rarely found the initiative penalty to be a major problem, and those extra easy kills it can inflict on a Marine squad can often mean the difference between winning or drawing a combat in my experience.

Leaving me with enough leftover points to give my Farseer a spear and stick him on a Jetbike if I implement idea 1. This will leave my Scorpions without Fortune but will add another fast-moving CC / AT threat. However, with only 5 models per squad, the Shining Spears will be taking moral checks more easily.

Interesting thoughts these, and I think that moc's input is really needed here, as I'm not as well versed as he is, or for that matter you are, in the use of Jetbike squads.  My experience with them though has been that they just don't have enough firepower when fielded in small units like those which you are proposing, and they are very brittle too, so I'm not so sure that it's really a good idea.

Attaching the Farseer to small Jetbike squads makes them an even bigger target, as your opponent would love to shoot your Farseer from his/her saddle, so I would only suggest attaching him/her to large Jetbike squads, or a Jetbike mounted Warlock unit.  You also need to make use of Fortune on the ground in my opinion.

As for the Shining Spears, I suspect that the one unit really is sufficient to be honest, and I have yet to see many Eldar players advocate using two squads of them, but again moc will have more sage words than me about this idea.

This is definitely an option if you feel that the Warp Spiders are too fragile in this list.  They provide decent fire support for the Jetbikes, and can still be used to contest objectives at the end of the game if your turbo boost them, so I think that you could definitely experiment with these.

This would be helpful if you want to use them to shoot at larger infantry units and/or monstrous creatures, but otherwise I don't feel that it's particularly necessary.  You could, however, think about fielding diverse squads, by removing one Exarch, and going for a squad of six regular Fire Dragons for anti-tank duties, and then opting for a dual purpose unit of seven or eight with the Exarch equipped as is currently the case.  You may prefer to leave these units as they are though.

I hope that helps.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: September 8, 2010, 04:22:48 AM »
@ Blazingland

I will not comment on your list itself; even though I also play highly mobile Eldar, the style of your list is simply way too far from what works for me. I used to play a similar list in the past (although it was more tightly optimised and had a bit more hitting power - in my opinion that is :)) and despite my best efforts I was rolled over by pretty much anything save some particularly soft SM and CSM armies. So, if you feel that this list works for you, I think I'd better refrain from comments :)

I agree with Iri here: Claw is by far the only thing that makes Scorps so versatile and good.

This I agree with :)

Decent option.
Good option with the exception of putting Farseer on a bike - that would be a wrong thing to do. He can't go with Spears (kills Withdraw), so he'll have to hide in bikes; but as long as he's in the open, he has to be in a fortuned squad, otherwise the squad will be singled out and killed along with the Seer.

That's a big "No" IMO, better to stick with spiders. 2 Vypers will hardly be any tougher than your spiders, and that's 2 KP instead of 1, and their shooting is also worse. It's just my personal opinion, but I'm 100% sure that this change will only weaken your list.

That's a very good thing to do. Scatters aren't really worth the points difference.

Overall I'd go with Spears; and I'd also do my best to squeeze out some more points to get 2 full squads, rather than nearly full.

Imho :)
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Blazinghand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 07:12:55 PM »
Having tested my Vyper idea, I've decided to stick with the Warp Spiders. Horrible deaths aside, they usually throw a wrench somewhere in my opponent's strategy. It's something I didn't notice until they were gone, but they are good disruptors, mobile and with high-strength weaponry. It's worth going down a few points to make sure my adversary's plan doesn't survive contact with the enemy. The Warp Spiders stay.

I downgraded the transport weapons to add more Fire Dragons. Although I'll need to pick up a blister or two to do this, I've found these units to be invaluable in my battles. Assuming they survive to attack more than one target, they do good work.

108p - Farseer w/ Doom, RoWit, RoWard, Singing Spear

145p - 8 Fire Dragons, one is Exarch w/ DB Flamer, Crack Shot
+        110p - Wave Serpent w/ Shuricannons, Spirit Stones
129p - 7 Fire Dragons, one is Exarch w/ DB Flamer, Crack Shot

237p - 5 Shining Spears, one is Exarch with Star Lance, Skillful Rider, Withdraw

Total Points: 2000

Force Composition: 36 Infantry, 26 Mounted/Jump Infantry, 3 Armor

Force Org Chart:
[v][v]
[v][v][v]
[v][v][v][ ][ ][ ]
[v][v][ ]
[ ][ ] [ ]

Tactics and Strategies:
This is an army list that relies on mobility to win.

The Farseer goes with the Storm Guardians in a Wave Serpent. He Dooms stuff. The Autarch goes with the Shining Spears. He's basically a huge baller, and every day he's hustlin hustlin hustlin hustlin

The Fire Dragons are for Anti-Tank, but also find themselves fighting Marines, Terminators, MCs and Hordes. The Storm Guardians are for laying down templates and attacking troops, especially lightly armored ones, though anything clustered without a 2+ save will be hurting pretty bad after 3 templates to the face.

Depending on my opponent and the game type, I outflank my Striking Scorpions or Infiltrate them. They usually assault in conjunction with the Shining Spears. Sometimes they'll charge one turn beforehand so that the Shining Spears can charge a previously-engaged-in-CC unit, meaning that the lack of grenades doesn't hurt them.

The Guardian Jetbikes have a decent amount of firepower and can pop light vehicles with their Shuriken Cannons and Spear.

The beauty/power of this army isn't in the individual units, but the ability to focus fire and have them support each other. Probably the most tactically important squad in the battle is the Striking Scorpions because they're the least mobile. My favorite thing is to converge multiple units onto one squad and wipe the floor with it. The Warp Spiders aren't actually that cool. They're whole "deal" is getting all up in the opponents plan and messing things up. They die a lot, but usually take out a vital squad in a vital place at a vital time. Sometimes, though, they just die :(

List Type: The point of this army is to hit the opponent VERY hard on one flank. Consider it a Hammer & Anvil list with no Anvil. This is all Hammer. The usual deal is to cripple my opponent's best artillery or fastest assault unit-- basically anything that can catch me. If the Scorpions go down, I'll sometimes burn a turn changing flanks if the situation allows. Hammer & Hammer.

Theme: Saim-Hann meets Biel-Tan? This is Aspect Warriors + Grav Tech (and some units that use both). Mobile Eldar.

Environment/Adversaries: Termie-Heavy and Mech Marines, non-Mech Tau, Swarmy Tyranids, and Gunny Imperial Guard.

I consider this list to be basically "done." Painting wise, I still have a ways to go. If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know. I'm always looking to improve my list. I'm probably going to make a 1000 point list as well at some point since some of my gaming friends don't have 2000 points worth of models.

« Last Edit: November 6, 2010, 06:34:44 PM by Blazinghand »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 11:04:41 AM »
Personally, I prefer Warp Spiders to Vypers, so even though the latter have their uses, I think that the list looks better when you include the Warp Spiders in their place.

Larger Fire Dragon squads are better if you take the Dragon's Breath Flamer in my opinion, so the downgrading of the transport weapons in favour of more Dragons is a fair exchange.

I agree that the list is, to all intents and purposes, finished  :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline nevaenuffbass

« Reply #6 on: October 7, 2010, 05:32:28 AM »
You mention that you need more jetbike saturation fire.

If you dropped the locks you could boost one of your JB squads to 9 and the other 8, if my quick calculation is correct.

i suppose the question then would be whether you feel the warlocks add more to the unit than another couple of bikes, and an extra shiuricannon would?

And to the more general community, I am wondering if lack of fire output is a big problem with jbikes? That is, do they do much damage? Or is it more a matter that they form ablative wounds to the locks and shuricannons?

Offline Blazinghand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: October 7, 2010, 08:23:25 AM »
When I said I needed more jetbike target saturation, I didn't mean that I needed more guns; rather, I need more units that are weak against the same guns that work well against T4 3+ Sv, to draw fire away from my Shining Spears and scoring units. Saturation in this case refers to having more targets than the opponent can easily shoot at, rather than anytning regarding my own firepower.

Regarding your suggestions, I'm going to stick with the Warlocks, and here's why:

If I go from 6 GJBs + 1 Warlock JB to 8 Guardian Jetbikes, I consider this a decrease in the unit's effectiveness. Embolden means that the unit will better be able to take enemy fire without falling back, which is vital when capture objectives or when stray fire comes your way.

If I go from 6 GJBs + 1 Warlock JB to 9 GJBs, although I can fit more shuricannons into the unit, the footprint becomes so huge that it loses effectiveness as a scoring/harassment unit. And again, I'm losing Embolden.

Also, in both instances I'm losing Singing Spear, which although unreliable can help aid the squad's subsidiary transport-popping role.

Basically, the bikes have a lot of roles other than "shooting stuff", which for shuriken catapults is better handled by DAs for about half the price, and for S6 weaponry is better handled by Warp Spiders or War Walkers. Defender Guardians also put out more dakka for the points AND may carry a heavy weapon. What Eldar Jetbikes have is speed. With the amount of movement available, I can shift from a front attack to a flank attack in basically one turn. I can start them in reserve and turbo them halfway across the table on the turn they arrive. They will always be where they are needed, no matter what. Although I remove regular Guardians before Shuriken Cannon Guardians when taking wounds, none of them are meat shields; they are all pretty expensive, points wise, and are valuable in their own rights for their tactical flexibility.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #8 on: November 8, 2010, 08:55:08 AM »

108p - Farseer w/ Doom, RoWit, RoWard, Singing Spear

145p - 8 Fire Dragons, one is Exarch w/ DB Flamer, Crack Shot
129p - 7 Fire Dragons, one is Exarch w/ DB Flamer, Crack Shot

Total Points: 2000

Force Composition: 36 Infantry, 26 Mounted/Jump Infantry, 3 Armor

moc-score

1.. Anti-tank potential Each working group actually carries some form of Anti-tank, and the 2 Dedicated AT untis of Fire Dragons can be extremely powerful vs armour; It does lack some serious ranged Anti-tank though and thus I rate this area as Good 0.8
2.. Anti-MEQ potential The FD's will evaporate Power Armour with ease as will Shining Spears and Autarch in CC, while the rest of the list uses firepower en masse style tactics to force armour saves. Its not the perfect situation; but it is a very viable technique in 5th ed as long as the units work together. I do a little room for improvement but overall I think this area is Good 0.8
3.. Anti-Horde potential Tri-flamer squad, 2 X DBFlamer, plus mass firepower all sounds good. The week area is if the Hordes actually make it into Close Combat as there is little in the way of resilient CC units. Thus I still think the op got a lot covered in this are; but its something that needs to be carefully considered while in game vs a horde. Thus I rate it as above average 0.7
4.. Ranged Firepower potential Where ? No seriously, this is an army that relies on its mobility to utilize its medium range and short range firepower; and I am not saying that this is a bad thing but the army really does lack a little in ranged Firepower. I don't see this as a huge issue though due to the way the army is designed to work and thus I still rate this area as Good 0.8
5.. Assault potential This area is lacking, as 1 unit of Shining Spears and an Autarch are not the greatest CC unit for 2K list. That being said, if the Op is doing things right (using his medium ranged firepower and mobility) then he may not need a lot of CC. Its a Razor's Edge that might be used against the list though, and thus I must rate this are as Below Average 0.5
6.. Scoring Units / point level 3 Scoring Units at 2K are bare minimum in most peoples books. I do like the fact that the op has built in added resilience with Embolden and/or a Serpent; but some opponents will Troop Hunt in objective missions so this is an area that needs to be considered while in game. Thus I rate is as Average 0.6
7.. Durability or Resilience I like the Size and resilience of the Troops, the op has already identified that fact that some units are a bit soft; but that is part of the Lure and the Razor's Edge that this style of list has in it. The Serpents will help resilience; but there are three soft Aspect units in the lists still (FD's, WS's and the Spears) and thus I will only rate it as Average 0.6
8.. Flexability "Hammer & Hammer" as mentioned by the Op or also known as "Flank Rush" can be one of the more powerful Eldar builds in regard to flexibility. They can deploy as a Refused Flank, they can go into Reserves due to the Autarch, its highly mobile, etc, etc. Thus I actually see this area as being well developed and Good 0.8
9.. Mission Capabiliy I see no issues with any of the standard missions. Missions that always force 5 Mission Objective will make the list work harder; but that is generally the case unless a list is 5+ troop choices in it. And the op does have a number of ways to Contest if needs be.  Thus I rate this area as Good 0.8
10. Dynamics and/or Theme "Saim-Hann meets Biel-Tan" I like the way the Op coined that phrase and thus I will re-state it. It truely is a list that embodies the Saim-Hann speed and style with the Aspects of the Biel-Tan. Its a list that actually has many great parts of both of the Old Craftworlds working as one. I do think that the Storm Guardian unit might have been swapped to Dire Avengers for theme; but the list would actually suffer in this case by loosing the Flamers, and its AT potential. thus I score is as a Very Good for theme 0.9

Rating = 7.3/10

Many will rate this list differently than I did; but I see this as a very solid FUN list that could actually have decent potential in many local or smaller events. I see it as easily placing in the top 5 of an event if played well; but it also has a certain risk built into it, in that if used incorrectly the list could tople and sewer very very quickly. Caution on deployment and movement are the key, with selective coordinated strikes on priority targets being the battle makers of the list.

Cheers
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering