News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Necron Codex - Vehicle Discussion  (Read 7712 times)

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
New Necron Codex - Vehicle Discussion
« on: November 1, 2011, 06:34:16 PM »
Vehicle Discussion

This thread is reserved for discussion of the 2011 Necron Codex Vehicle units. Please discuss other Force Organization entries in their appropriate threads. Discussion of dedicated transports can be placed either alongside the unit (where appropriate) or in the Necron Vehicle Discussion thread.

This thread is being provided due to the previous dearth of Necron Vehicle units available in the Necron Codex. Vehicles are going to provide a lot of new options that Necron armies didn't have widely available before, especially in light of transport capacity.

However, this thread is mostly for discussion of vehicles on their own merits. If you want to discuss things relevant to the vehicle in light of units its carrying, do that in the relevant FOC threads.
« Last Edit: November 4, 2011, 11:48:53 PM by Gutstikk »

Offline croggy

• Loota
  • ...to burn or not to burn...
Re: New Necron Codex - Vehicle Discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 5, 2011, 07:19:21 PM »
i gotta say i am loving the idea of the annihilation barges as a massive anti everything lower then av 14 vehicle (ok they are not great against av 13 as - 3 on the chart but still pretty awesome allrounder)

what i'd like to know is those of you polanning on getting doom arcs how do you plan on using them?

Offline Galef

« Reply #2 on: November 6, 2011, 01:35:15 AM »
I think the Doomsday Arks are a must-have for my army.  Get 2 of them and deploy in each back corner of the board.  As long as there are some Ghost Arks, a Command Barge and some other AV13 vehicle in the foreground, the Doomsday Arks should have a few turns before they get shot at.
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
« Reply #3 on: November 6, 2011, 04:09:15 AM »
What do people think of the two flyers?

I think the Doom scythe is a bit expensive and will struggle to make it into lists against the competition in the heavy slot.
Its death ray is very good but the thing itself is very flimsy and because it's so deadly will get shot at as a priority, which could be used as an advantage given you can get a flatout save if you go first but still, it's too many points.

I like the idea of a supersonic troop transport but the fact that the things it transports go back into reserve if it dies seriously effects it's use, especially as they can't deepstrike afterwards. Could use it as a rescue unit to pickup very depleated units and thus get them out of the fight even if the night scythe is taken out.

Offline sephiroa

• I am a nobody
« Reply #4 on: November 6, 2011, 06:00:58 AM »
2 flayers are nice when fighting orks or a horde army, but i do beleive the doom scythe has some good possibilities.

3 tanks in one line, and if you could get them, could be very painfull, and they can move 12" and shoot everything

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #5 on: November 6, 2011, 06:59:45 AM »
Changed my mind on the doom scythe after someone pointed out that it can deep strike (I hadn't noticed).
As it can fire all it's weapons after arriving the range on the death ray isn't really an issue anymore, this will chew through mech armies and easily get its points back after one shooting attack.

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
« Reply #6 on: November 6, 2011, 09:11:24 PM »
Changed my mind on the doom scythe after someone pointed out that it can deep strike (I hadn't noticed).
As it can fire all it's weapons after arriving the range on the death ray isn't really an issue anymore, this will chew through mech armies and easily get its points back after one shooting attack.

Glad you pointed that out, this does give the ability to put it where you want but we don't know how big it is yet. Devilfish or Wave Serpent size perhaps? Or maybe it's as large as the Storm Raven and Valkyrie with the huge flying stand. We know the Monolith is tough to deepstrike so I'm curious if the Doom Scythe will be any easier. But do we think it's too expensive for being a one hit wonder? Its cheaper then say drop pod Sternguard with combi meltas but only needs one shot to blow it up.

Offline Galef

« Reply #7 on: November 6, 2011, 10:34:31 PM »
Well, we can assume with almost complete certainty that the Doom & Night Scythes with be on the oval flying bases.  Both have the Supersonic rule like the DE Razorwing and the Night Scythe has the same disembarkation rule as a StormRaven.
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #8 on: November 7, 2011, 06:59:19 AM »
I saw those flyers and immediately thought I wanted a flyer invasion force!!! My concern would be that they will be pricey, but if they look like the artwork then I'd be very happy (I fully assume that the artwork has been completed because the models are done (or near as done it!)

My thoughts for helping to keep them alive is to take Imotekh... guaranteed at least one turn of night fight... I'm also considering adding a Cryptek with solar flare to basically help ensure that I can fight an entire game in night fight and use the flyers to move units about into up close and personal range where they will be able to spot for their own firing!

Offline Sirdrasco

• Enilst now avoid forced Biotransferance...
« Reply #9 on: November 7, 2011, 09:04:57 AM »
While the monolith may have got nerfed a bit, I find the ability to deepstrike and then teleport any unengaged unit to it a possible viable tactic.

Imagine it comes in on turn 3 and ports some immortals to it. Now they have an objective and have the cover fire of the monolith.
" I obey the commands of one Scratch Fury, Destroyer of Worlds!"

Offline DarthChaos

• Armies: CSM, Daemons, GK, Sisters, Necrons, Eldar, SM, IG
« Reply #10 on: November 7, 2011, 01:29:45 PM »
I played 2 games Saturday both with identical Imotekh lists except in one I had the Annihilation Barge and the second game had the Command Barge in it.
I noticed with Imotekh he does not have a powerweapon making his sweep attacks with the Command Barge not very effective at all.  So my question is who would you take the command barge with? Would you ever take Imotekh on one?
"A man's greatest work is to break his enemies, to drive them before him, to take from them all the things that have been theirs, to hear the weeping of those who cherished them, to take their horses between his knees and to press in his arms the most desirable of their women."

-- Ghengis Khan (c. 1200)

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #11 on: November 7, 2011, 06:09:48 PM »
Command barges only seem good if you have a warscythe so a vanilla lord or maybe anrakyr as he doesn't come with an invulnerable save the barge maybe a good place to keep him safe.Scratch that, as he's the only special character that it would be of use to shockingly he can't take one :(

With a warscythe it is very deadly, to squad leaders and especially vehicles.

While the monolith may have got nerfed a bit, I find the ability to deepstrike and then teleport any unengaged unit to it a possible viable tactic.

Imagine it comes in on turn 3 and ports some immortals to it. Now they have an objective and have the cover fire of the monolith.

I don't think you'll be able to deep strike in and then use the summon ability on the same turn as they both happen at the start of the movement phase.
This is similar to wanting to use the grey knight psykic power the summoning on the turn you arrive from deepstrike and I believe the concensus is that you can't. Might be one for the rules board.

« Last Edit: November 7, 2011, 06:23:45 PM by WisdomLS »

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #12 on: November 7, 2011, 06:40:44 PM »
Command barges only seem good if you have a warscythe so a vanilla lord or maybe anrakyr as he doesn't come with an invulnerable save the barge maybe a good place to keep him safe.Scratch that, as he's the only special character that it would be of use to shockingly he can't take one :(

With a warscythe it is very deadly, to squad leaders and especially vehicles.

I don't think you'll be able to deep strike in and then use the summon ability on the same turn as they both happen at the start of the movement phase.
This is similar to wanting to use the grey knight psykic power the summoning on the turn you arrive from deepstrike and I believe the concensus is that you can't. Might be one for the rules board.

I disagree with this... by your reasoning that means that only one ghost ark in your army can use its ability... because if a second goes to use it, then it is no longer the "start of the movement phase".

I also would say that it would make it impossible for an eldar farseer to cast two powers at the "start of the turn"... because the second one will (by your reasoning) no longer be at the start of the turn...

Offline croggy

• Loota
  • ...to burn or not to burn...
« Reply #13 on: November 7, 2011, 06:45:24 PM »
anyway this is not the rules forum so

i see the command barge being an awesome transport for warscythes as you can smash vehicles at a 4+ even if they moved 12" (i think)

also i like the annihilation bargers i just built myself 3 with gauss cannons underslung

now my question is are guass cannons the better option here or do you guys feel that dedication this vehicle to the tesla ap might suit me better then having the gauss ap nullified by some clever wound allocation?

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
« Reply #14 on: November 7, 2011, 07:18:53 PM »
anyway this is not the rules forum so

i see the command barge being an awesome transport for warscythes as you can smash vehicles at a 4+ even if they moved 12" (i think)

also i like the annihilation bargers i just built myself 3 with gauss cannons underslung

now my question is are guass cannons the better option here or do you guys feel that dedication this vehicle to the tesla ap might suit me better then having the gauss ap nullified by some clever wound allocation?

Ah another nice thing to point about about the Command Barge against vehicles. So even against a supersonic skimmer moving flat out, you can still hit it on a 4+ no matter what and no cover saves may be taken. It might be tough to fly over a vehicle at combat speed but if you could pull it off, that makes it even easier to hit!

For the Annihilation Barge, I would think keeping with the Telsa theme would be better. Both weapons have the same number of shots and range but the Telsa special rule could come into play with extra automatic hits and has more Strength. I guess it all depends on what enemy units you plan on aiming for. Tyranid monsters for example it might be nice to have that AP but a unit of Boyz, who really cares?

Offline Shadows Revenge

• The All Knowing
  • Armies: Dark Eldar, Raven Guard
« Reply #15 on: November 8, 2011, 01:23:48 PM »
I am not a Cron player, but have been lurking in these threads to see what you all think about your new codex. But I would like to point out Tyrazn (or whatever the collector guy who is scoring) seems interesting in the command barge, as then you can do a sweeping attack with his special rod thingy, while keeping him safe. Also he can use some of his wounds to repair the thing since he keeps coming back, and he is scoring, and that thing is going to be hard to move from an objective.

Also on Anarkyr on the barge. It is a transport for one Independent Character. Could you take his buddy (forget his name, but he can take the barge) then get him out and put his bodyguard in it??? I see no rules against it, and the good thing is he can teleport back to support his master if needs be.

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
« Reply #16 on: November 8, 2011, 01:36:35 PM »
I am not a Cron player, but have been lurking in these threads to see what you all think about your new codex. But I would like to point out Tyrazn (or whatever the collector guy who is scoring) seems interesting in the command barge, as then you can do a sweeping attack with his special rod thingy, while keeping him safe. Also he can use some of his wounds to repair the thing since he keeps coming back, and he is scoring, and that thing is going to be hard to move from an objective.

Also on Anarkyr on the barge. It is a transport for one Independent Character. Could you take his buddy (forget his name, but he can take the barge) then get him out and put his bodyguard in it??? I see no rules against it, and the good thing is he can teleport back to support his master if needs be.

Yup it's perfectly legal (the Trazyn special rule for the weapon is up for discussion I think though) and these tidbits were brought up in the HQ section of the stickies (one tough thing about having 2 stickies for one unit, trying to find all the info about them...)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 04:07:40 PM »
I was looking at the rules for the Night Scythe and I can see no reason why I would ever take it. Basically, it's immensely expensive, has no armour and it's useless at keeping troops safe on objectives. Basically, transports are really useful in keeping troops inside so you can claim objectives. If the night scythe is destroyed (and with rhino armour, why wont it be?), then the unit inside is teleported off the objective into reserve.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 04:19:13 PM »
and with rhino armour, why wont it be?

Living Metal and moving flat out?

I think the Night Scythe is quite excellent from the look of it. The Tesla Destructor is just sweet and compare it to the Annihilation Barge you loose the quantum and pay 10 more for a far more mobile platform and transport capacity. Speaking of the transport capacity, even if it sucks to get thrown back into reserves (free kill points at the end of the game for the opponent comes to mind) but it can also have its uses and it will be a good delivery system when you do want to jump out and hurt stuff with your infantry. Compared to a Razorback you get a lot of extras for those 30ish points.

I am a bit more disappointed with the Ghost Ark, it feels like it is a bit on the expensive side.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 04:57:45 PM »
and with rhino armour, why wont it be?

Living Metal and moving flat out?

I think the Night Scythe is quite excellent from the look of it. The Tesla Destructor is just sweet and compare it to the Annihilation Barge you loose the quantum and pay 10 more for a far more mobile platform and transport capacity. Speaking of the transport capacity, even if it sucks to get thrown back into reserves (free kill points at the end of the game for the opponent comes to mind) but it can also have its uses and it will be a good delivery system when you do want to jump out and hurt stuff with your infantry. Compared to a Razorback you get a lot of extras for those 30ish points.

The cover will help, no doubt about that, but it's still only has rhino armour without Quantum Shielding. I do agree that it's rules are very interesting and I like the possibilities granted as you are not actually 'in it'. Stops people from shooting the tank and charging the guys immediate afterwards. But I do still feel it's awfully fragile for the points and I don't the like end-game implications forced on you in the vehicle is destroyed. If you had the choice to go into reserve or not I'd really like the Night Scythe. My thoughts are a worst case scenario, so perhaps it wont happen too often.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria