News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: First game with orks in 7th... just checking if I played it right  (Read 2310 times)

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
Ok first off just let me say, love how the new book looks, very nice book but being able to find anything in it.... horrible.

So yesterday I played my first 7th edition game with orks 1500 points vs eldar.  I had no idea what to bring and only pageing though the codex a few times just threw together a list of stuff i wanted to try.

we did malestrom I think it is called (one with the cards)

my list had a big mek with kff, Zags was my warlord w/ 19 stormboyz, unit of rokkit kans, dread, max unit of shoota boyz, large unit of slugga ard boyz, 10 lootas, and 11 tank bustas.

Ok so some basic almost feel like noob questions:
Orks no longer have a leadership benefit of any kind?  model count over 10... no benefits for larger squads?
Basically no more fearless based on unit size?

Messed up once with pinning test counted them as pin instead of mob role

Zags weapons....  are they just basic str CC weapons and he only gets other than that when he assaults on hammer of wrath attack?

Ended up playing for objectives mostly and since i focused on objectives really butched my army having to run (as I didn't have anything fast) All of my points revovled around holding this or that objective and having no transports made it hard.  In the end got a 7-7 VP draw.   I couldn't get kill the warlord or line breaker only objective cards.  He got both of those with his speed and me having to play Zags and the stormies too forward with no support.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: First game with orks in 7th... just checking if I played it right
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 09:25:31 PM »
Ok so some basic almost feel like noob questions:
Orks no longer have a leadership benefit of any kind?  model count over 10... no benefits for larger squads?
Basically no more fearless based on unit size?

Correct. However, having mobs larger than 10 means you are more likely to have a Mob Rule roll that goes in your favor (many of the mob rule table rolls involve having more than 10 guys). You will slowly punch yourself to death, but having large mobs counteracts that by a fair bit.

Also, don't feel bad about struggling in a Maelstrom Game--those missions are primarily based off completely random chance. More mobile armies can mitigate that chance by a bit, but in the end it's just luck of the draw who winds up with the most points. I've found those missions to be very random and not very strategically interesting.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 11:20:08 AM »
I have been finding that in this edition that Ork MSU's are the way to go. Since we have no armor save, lot "I" and are bad shots the mob is starting to be a thing of the past. The new "mob rule" really beats down your boys, sometimes causing more casualties than the initial shooting/CC that caused the LD check.

So, to counter this effect, I have gone with more vehicles and less boys. My new "normal" is now a ten boy squad that acts like a nob delivery system (in a truck of course) and I now take a minimum of seven such squads. I also take a warboss now rather than two big meks with KFF, and one truck load of boys without the nob to act as a warboss delivery system. Lots of buggies and planes since vehicles don't take LD tests and can hold objectives (well, not the planes) unless there are actual enemy troop choices on the objective. (troops trump other units)

What this does is give the enemy too many things to shoot at, so I still have more units left at the end of the game than my opponent even when I have lost over half my army.

I see by your experience that storm boys are still not the unit that we want it to be, even with cheaper points cost. For those who haven't heard my rants before the storm boys are the only ork unit I have ever got rid of as they way under perform consistently. Great looking models, poor excuse of a unit (IMO).

Glad to see your back in the saddle, with a little list tweaking you may actually be able to win a game. I myself have won only three games since the ork codex came out. Two were very close calls (a single dice roll), and one was by a VP that I earned as I played to the cards rather than my usual krump everything strategies. Before my almost winning streak I was consistently getting tabled, then with my brilliant (stolen from my eldar days) MSU tactic I have started to climb back into the being challenging again.

I may even start posting batreps again now that I almost have remastered my orks. Now, I am still playing speed freaks, so maybe you kan wall types might have a better result with bigger units, but as for me, the MSU is the way to go, especially when playing for objectives.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 09:42:48 PM »
@Wyddr having large mobs did mean I didn't have to take tests that often for being shot up.   So there was a benefit there.  The problem was I had very little in the amount of units so I had to over devote my units for scoring meaning usually sitting in the open and getting shot up.  It traded off well but the game play was definately not what I am used to for orks.....   Seemed more guard or eldar to me.   Relying on shooting for orks is not the best way to play them but the only option I had when I had to hold objectives.

Another thing I didn't mention I am pretty sure I played the KFF wrong as I think only the models within "x" inches from him get the inv save I am pretty sure I took it for everyone in his squad.   Although most of the time they were in cover anyway or behind models or mixed between the two.

Two things I learned was that having better saves was very important, so ard boyz seemed to do decent, not great but decent.  If I could just give storm boyz eavy armor I think they would be a decent unit. 

That and shooting units did well as always.   Tank bustas got better and lootas are still a great unit. 

I am considering running a Grukk themed list for my next venture though I am almost tempted to use a weird boy being stuck the whole game with the card for successfully casting a spell really sucked.

Skeetergod, I might be tempted to try a speedfreak list like that or atleast a mixed list but I am not totally sold on trukks. 

Here is the list I put together after my venture with orks.... (1500 pts)
Grukk (just because)
Big Mek w/ kff and EA
10x Lootas
10x Lootas
Rustgobs Runts
10x shoota boyz, Nob w/ BP, BS
10x tank bustas
20x ard boyz w/ sluggas, 2 BS, Nob w/ PK BP
30x Shoota boyz, 3BS, Nob W/ PK BP
3x Deff Koptas w/ twin rokkits
Dread w/ BS, skorcha

I am seriously debating maybe trimming the squads down a bit and going with some battle wagons or trukks.   I think koptas will do good this edition and want to play test them.   I also think that meganobz will be good and that is another unit I want to play test.

Offline theredemption

• my waaagh is bigger than yours
  • Armies: orks and only orks
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 04:39:48 PM »
There are still somethings I'm getting ahold of with this book and the ghaz supplement, I've found that the green ghost and 10 kammandos are essential the big mek with shock gun given the biker gift of mork or gork and about 5 bikers does well against eldar. I didn't see anyone mention the mad doc with any numberof boys, it get rid of a lot of problem those squads have. I have a 2000 pt tourney on the 30th I'm planning for and I can't decide between my army with a stompa or the one with mork and gorkanaunt. I like the idea of a battle wagon full of meganobz and the mad one but my hobby has grown so much lately its beginning to become difficult to build to cover everything. Everyone here plays different army's together and I like to go just orks, but our biggest player/judge runs nidsand I hate nids since the only other codex  I have is tau (was my first army choice before I came across orks) I was thinking of getting 2 riptides and letting then sit in back and rip it up.... Just for fun.
Any ideas, please.
Thanks
300 boys should be enough rite?