News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Game Boards  (Read 3161 times)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Game Boards
« on: March 26, 2002, 07:43:17 PM »
What size boards do people play on?

I haven't picked up a copy of the BBB as of yet but I assume there's a GW standard board size. From all appearances this board is too small. People are getting into hand to hand way too easily.

I see standard guard as being an open field army. They're designed with support systems to weed out the enemy before they're close enough to assault. Small boards don't see to allow this. I've witnessed one game between Eldar and IG on four metre by two metre board. Terrain was plentiful without being overwhelming. Cover was there but to make steady way up the board each player had to brave open spaces.

It was a fun game to watch. Fast attack units were having their own skirmishes out of sight from the main armies, APC's were getting shot down in the open so that the troops that survived had to decided whether to advance or retreat from fire. Artillery really seemed to help the IG reduce the numbers. It was a fun game to watch. Eldar carried the day however, due to some very skillful deepstriking by the Hawks and some really awful armour saves by the IG.

Back to the original point, are boards too small for many of the games? The Tau have some great fire power but seem to be getting assaulted by Turn 2 two more often than not. This doesn't seem right to me.

I realise that big boards would screw up units that are unable to be transported (Avatar for example).
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Staatz

• Pip Boy 2000!
    • WarHam Glazed
Well arnt I Mr info today
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2002, 07:52:16 PM »
500-1000pt I like to use a 6 by 3 ft board 1000-1750 pt games seem to work best on a 8 by 4 ft board, we usally use losts of hills with a few trees, being as it's a squad based game and hill do a better job at hidin' whole squads (plus thhey are easy to make) we generally use em more than smaller peaces of terrian..

Offline lastrati

• I'm not a llama!
Re:Game Boards
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2002, 08:44:44 PM »
4 meter by 2 meter?  Approximately 12  ft by 6 ft?  I would love to play a normal sized game on a field that large!  

Generally, I play on 4 ft by 8 ft.  We do a lot of games on 4 ft by 6 ft.  Usually, armies are in the 1500 pt to 2000 pt range.  Close combat starts by turn 2 at the latest, sometimes turn 1 depending on who you are facing, deployment zone areas, and how careful people were in their initial setups.  That is why I always take some close combat capable units.  

On a 4 ft by 4 ft board, I would use my orks or my marines.  Such battlefields really cripple the guard unless there is no cover and the guard gets the first turn...  Then the guard has a chance if properly armed.

I think 5 ft by 8 ft, with 24" between deployment zones plenty of small terrain features and a few large terrain features to break of firing lanes would be most fair.  It would give shooting armies a bit more room to maneuver and enable armies to choose to compress their formation in order to buy an extra turn before close combat.  However, some people feel that 4 ft by 8 ft gives Guard an unfair advantage...

This weekend I play on a 20 ft by 24 ft battlefield.  Two 7 player teams, each with a 3500 pt force...  It will be different.  My commander has requested that I leave the footsloggers behind and take an Armored Company instead.  It will be different.

Offline Delone

• I'm back
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2002, 10:44:05 PM »
Yeah, 8" by 4" is your best bet I think.  And about that  20" by 24" battlefield...holy crap, that is HUGE!  Good luck.

Offline Imperial Warrior

• Infantry. That is all you need.
    • ImperialWarrior.freeservers.com
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2002, 05:08:46 AM »
I play normaly in board about 4 feet * 8 feet but I think it's little bigger than that :)

Offline Grim Stalker

• Ancient
  • Honour and Duty
    • Grim Stalker's Imperial Guard
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2002, 07:50:54 AM »
here is one of the greatest inventions ever:

WANT A GAMING BOARD?

how about a table tennis board. They are perfect - especially if they are green

in my house we got one for freeee in the basement and I have been using that since the dawn of time! and its soo cool, cause you can seperate it into two equal squares for small games or even two games at once.

anyone with a lil $$$ i woud suggest invest in one of these, plus u can practice on ur table-tennis skills.. hehe

grim

Offline Delone

• I'm back
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2002, 08:38:53 AM »
Hmm, I never thought of that Grim!!  That is a good idea ;)  Plus they close up for easy storage!!   :o  :o  :o  

Do you know how big they are?

Offline Grim Stalker

• Ancient
  • Honour and Duty
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2002, 08:41:14 AM »
i dont know to tell u the truth, but i can tell you the whole thing is HUGE!!!

they are rectangular in shape, so the long side is VERY VERY VERY long, but the shorther side length is perfect!

grim

Offline Delone

• I'm back
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2002, 08:56:30 AM »
Hmm, I would think around 10" by 5"....but they cost a lot!  About $200 for a good one....right?  ???

Offline Grim Stalker

• Ancient
  • Honour and Duty
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2002, 08:57:35 AM »
I GOT MINE FOR FREE!!!  8)

but there is one bad thing - one of the legs is kind of broken, but its ok...

grim

Offline Delone

• I'm back
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2002, 09:01:52 AM »
Okay, here's something on a side note.

Grim, WHAT IS WITH THAT FISH!?!  And 'SAK'?!!??!  

Offline Grim Stalker

• Ancient
  • Honour and Duty
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2002, 09:23:05 AM »
SAK are my initials - which i like to keep anonymous - what difference does it make to you anyways.

the fish has for some reason always been my sign or logo... hmm... i dont even LIKE fish... hehe... its just easy to draw and looks cool... i think so

grim

Offline Delone

• I'm back
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2002, 12:17:07 PM »

SAK are my initials - which i like to keep anonymous - what difference does it make to you anyways.

Okay okay!  Don't gota go a vicious on me!  And if you like to keep it anonymous, why do you have your first+last name on your site. ;)

Offline Grim Stalker

• Ancient
  • Honour and Duty
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2002, 02:11:30 PM »
i was just joking man - why would i want to keep it anonymous. what am i a spy? hehe  :P

grim

Offline Delone

• I'm back
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2002, 02:24:07 PM »
I don't know  ??? ???  Since you brought that up!  MAYBE YOU ARE ONE  ::) ::)  ;D  Hehehehe

Trust No One...