News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: help against friends (tau and chaos)  (Read 1437 times)

Offline FrozenAmethyst

• at least we're still alive, eh?
  • Armies: eldar, Space wolves, Orks
help against friends (tau and chaos)
« on: November 16, 2014, 04:37:39 PM »
so me and my friends play alot and although we are only going to enjoy, i want to beat them alot, being the underdog from not knowing much. My army at the moment is:

- farseer
- x2 squads of guardians with bright lance platform
- 10 dire avengers
- wave serpent with twin-linked scatter laser and shuriken cannon
- vyper with scatter laser and twin-linked shuriken catapult
- Fire prism with shuriken cannon

we wont be playing much over 1500 eventually but for now we play 500 points. What do you think i should get next and what should my strategies be?
bad 40k advice: Actually destroy models when they are removed from play.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: help against friends (tau and chaos)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 05:45:05 PM »
Which units do your opponents usually field in their respective armies?  If you're going to play relatively fixed lists, it would be helpful to have a more precise idea of what you're going to face in the Tau and Chaos forces.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 03:37:42 PM »
Bright lances are a waste if your not going up against AV14. Swap them out to either Starcannons or Scatter lasers.

Drop the Vypers and get some war walker goodness, this gives you some good firepower against light armour and a good volume of fire at everything else. Scatter laser with Starcannon make a good pair.

I find the shuriken cannon on the fireprism is a bit of a waste, if your close enough to use it, then your in trouble.

As for going up to 1500 points. Warp spiders are a good choice, but can be a little tricky to find your groove with.

Offline Caercuillen

• Is your initiative faster then Elf? No, that sucks
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 11:58:38 PM »
I would recommend adding a Wraithknight to your army, it usually has a very unnerving affect on your opponents. it is actually a really good tool to use against a Tau's riptide, or any of the myriad chaos war machines. Put a Farseer on a jetbike with divination psychic powers, and maybe one or two warlocks with that Farseer, and things can get really comical as you watch your opponents forces melt be for you.
I am the flail of god. Had you not created great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline davethemadorc

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 06:44:33 AM »
point means prizes.
imo the best two new units to add to your army that you will keep in time after time are a fire-dragon squad and warp spiders.

without a doubt three walkers are an awesome back up unit with outflank and great fire-power and battle focus and a built in 5+IV
but they cost £$ ... and are going to take up lots of points ... so maybe when you start playing larger armies or win the lottery !

and knights are obviously awesome but again lots of dollar and lots of points

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
  • Armies: Eldar, Just starting Necrons
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 03:21:48 AM »
Waveserpents.

You have 3 squads already that would benefit from a transport, and even if they had zero transport capacity, they would still be the best unit in the Eldar Codex, because of the amount of firepower they put out. Always give them a scatter laser, and always fire your shield.

Once you get up to 1,000pts+, there are very few Eldar army builds that won't need multiple waveserpents. -lots of our infantry are just too squishy and/or short ranged to be particularly useful without a transport.

General etiquette seems to be any more than 3 waveserpents is not very friendly.

Other than waveserpents, it kind of depends on what craftworld and/or playstyle you prefer, but the A-grade units IMO opinion are:

Warp Spiders
Jetbikes
Hornets
Wraith Knights
War Walkers

We don't really have any A-grade HQs, but best of an average bunch are farseer on jetbike, or spirit seer if you are short on points, going fully-mech, or are fielding wraithguard. There are some occasions where an autarch is preferable, but only if you going for massed reserves.

My $0.02
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 01:11:23 AM »
Total Iyanden army..spiritseer, wraithguard, wraithblades[both builds],wraithlords and the knight. Fill in with other psychers that points allow. Works for me more then not.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword