News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rogue Trader-esque Warbands and Character Conversions, and anything else I fancy  (Read 48549 times)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks dude :)

Love the idea of having the bases for your 'nids as devoid of all plantlife as they've stripped it bare. For these guys they're supposed to be exploring a 'Thorn Moons of boreal beauty' as per the Thorn Moons fluff, so a bit of vegetation would tie them in nicely :) not too much mind ;)

Please don't be sheepish with suggestions! I might not take all of them, but it's always valuable to have other people's perspective in stuff. A lot of the time it tends to loiter somewhere in the back of my mind as a suggestion for later ;)

In this instance I absolutely agree with you. I've never quite caught on to the recent trend for blacked out bases, and the only reason I did it with these guys is it actually fits there general palette. I was thinking I should give the rim a light Nuln Oil wash as I've found that gives black a neat satin finish, but I'd completely forgotten about that step!
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
I suppose that's the Invitational done if I'm going to stop at 5 ;) unlikely though...

I changed the tech-shaman's skull-hand for an omnispex to follow its fluff of being a member of a class/caste that hordes all of the advanced sensor equipment and uses it to appear as if they magically know where useful scavenging is, ensuring a powerful position within their scavenger society.

However, I don't think I like it. Seems to throw off the balance of the model somewhat, or close it up, or come across as too active a pose, or something I don't like about it anyway...

What do people think?

Oh, also, it's my birthday today! So...birthday things :) fingers crossed I get some little plastic dudes to chop up into smaller pieces than the designers intended ;)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Happy birthday my man. I hope you have a great one and I hope you also get some more models. Hopefully Eldar to get you up to fighting strength for games!  :P Jokes aside, I do hope you get some models my friend and I hope you have a great birthday.

On to the models! Yeah man they look awesome. Great continuation of what you've done. As for the Auspex thing on his hand, while I certainly think it looks perfectly fine, I think you could find something that meshes a bit better. Its just sort of a weird bit, like I dont imagine a scanner being fitted at that angle (with the whole L shaped aparatus) I would think it'd be something a bit more "point and click". I think some antennas or something of the sort would better.

But still amazing modelling all the way around and certainly something I wouldn't be compelled to change. Still loving the paint jobs as well. Anyway have a great b-day my friend and take care!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
That tech-shaman is creepy as.. great work!

Happy birthday!

Offline Saim-Dann

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, YNNEAD!!
It's scotch night tonight, so a few tumblers will be in your name. Everything looks Micky Mouse, mate... except. The change looks good to me except the last photo. Looks like he's flipping somebody the bird.

It's great to see this group painted. they were my favorites. We know you'll have a hoot at the invitational. Fly the "Eldar Online" banner high, mate. We'll all be with you... Pointy ears forever!!   

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks guys! Box of Sicarians in the bag, which is a perfect choice by the family. Was banging on over on dakka about how they're probably the most useful single kit available for kitbashing weird techno-dudes :)

Yeah you're both right Cav and Saim Dann. There's something a bit weird about it that just doesn't mesh properly, especially from some angles.

Someone's suggested a way to fix it though :) Cut off the hand and have it so the scanner is grafted directly to his wrist which lowers it down out of the way slightly. Plus, what better way to stop your fellow pesky crows from stealing your valuable scanner than to graft it directly to your arm ;)

Offline Saim-Dann

Your right and your right, Ynnead! To me though, an antenna, (as Cavalier suggested), would do. Less tech showed to the enemy and more hand gestures for the model... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Sort of ended up doing that!

Clockwork thoughts chattered through the crow-priest's brain. This truly was a bizarre place they found themselves in. The crow-priests understood well the processes to connect biology to bionics, but this...this was something approaching...synth esis.

He was having difficulty differentiating where the biology ended and the technology began, one blending seamlessly into the other. It was all very...curious.

Crows are up to six-strong now :)

Some sort of juvenile I believe. Shorter of stature and more feeble of spirit than even it's skittish brethren.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
lol... the feeble Juvenile. Love that description. Poor little dude. Looking good my man.

Also yeah, like the new hand a lot better on the leader. The other one looked just fine honestly, but you made it look just that much better.

Awesome stuff man. These guys will be a great addition to the collection.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Haha thanks man :)

With the little feeble-spirited juvenile I was trying to evoke the sort of attitude Victorian-era naturalists and social anthropologists had towards native life. Basically they always seem to twist their otherwise accurate descriptions to make them sound superior and the natives to sound either barbaric and ferocious (if they want to make themselves seem brave) or feeble and weak-willed (if they want to justify lording it over them).

Thought that would be the attitude most Imperials would take to more primitive societies :)

Offline Saim-Dann

Niiiiice!
Nothing better than waking up to a good read, mate. The big guy is looking a lot better as well. Palease start gaming, Ynnead. I reck'n your battle reports would be the best read on the forum... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Orange

Loving your work. The primaris marine with all the guard looks great, really how big marines should have always been. I look forward to seeing some paint on them!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks guys!

I will start gaming eventually, I promise ;) and narrative batreps will be a feature :)

Absolutely Marines should always have been that size, although interestingly if you go back to the early editions there was no mention whatsoever of Marines being taller than your average human. Genetically modified yes, but regular size. That's where Marine size stems from, but it's interesting that they haven't quite kept up with tye expectation of them getting bigger :)

Offline Saim-Dann

G'day Ynnead!
Glad to hear you'll be gaming soon. Actually, in second ed they mention the marines being 8ft tall. Add on the armour and traction on the boots that should bring them up to 9/10ft. This being so, compare the size of the rhino. It would be the size of a small house... Be well!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Huh, interesting. Perhaps it was only in Rogue Trader that Marines were regular size...

Well,in lieu of any actual hobby stuff (still need to add a little snow effect to the bases) I've been mucking about with the Prisma app in lunch breaks :) if people haven't heard of it before it's basically a dead clever filter app that applies full-blown art styles to your photos in a way that feels suspiciously like cheating...

Some of the styles work really nicely on little plastic dudes ;)

Sort of a CEL-shading style:

A different, warmer CEL-shadey design

A line-sketch style that sometimes seems to invent shadows from nowhere...

And a kickass mosaic-style one

So yeah, sod all talent or effort from me but they certainly look cool!

Offline Saim-Dann

G'day Ynnead!
Naaaaah! Give me your style all the time, every time... Be well!

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
Stunning work on those Crows! Each of your updates is always a treat Ynnead :)
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks guys :) yeah the filters and stuff would be fun for a comic book/graphic novel style batrep (once I actually do some!) but tend to mask some of the detail. Still, fun to play around with while you can't paint stuff :)

Speaking of which, it's not much but it's something!

To be honest, I have no idea what they are really, but the Crows treat them like dogs. Or pigs may be a better analogy. Use them for tracking, and feed them all the stuff Crows can't eat. Fatten them up for leaner times ahead.

There's loads of the damn things running wild on their ships. Makes it tricky to get aboard undetected.

Offline Saim-Dann

G'day Ynnead!
Man, you think of everything. Trackers doubled as organic sensor alarms and food rations. I like it... Be well!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Haha thanks man :) yeah I thought that being scavengers they'd be pretty efficient with the stuff they do have. Plus, easier to keep food fresh by keeping it alive (and useful!) than taking up valuable power conserving it.

Also, little bit of headcanon with its missing legs. Why waste a whole crow-dog-thing when you've got a scavenged bionic limb lying around? ;)