News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 330652 times)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters
« Reply #1300 on: June 13, 2017, 08:11:33 AM »
That Warp Talon is incredible.  The different shades of red and the way in which those Lightning Claws appear to be searingly hot, in order to carve through anything, makes the model appear so alive.  This is fantastic work.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1301 on: June 13, 2017, 10:53:48 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Irisado has pretty much taken the word out of my mouth. The Talons/Claws look like metal in the process of being tempered and look absolutely brilliant.

Is this model built as produced or have you added any little touches that a hobby duffer like myself won't spot?

Is the base more of your brothers work because I like the look of that as well.

A few people have commented on blending but not being that technical when it comes to painting I was thinking it had been layered and shaded. Am I wrong?
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1302 on: June 15, 2017, 04:15:26 AM »
Man that's cool! Really really nice work :) in addition to everything everyone else has said i'm liking how the scheme seems to declutter the model. I've noticed the Warp Talons/Raptors are just festooned with bling. A little is great, but they're just a bit too much in the stock GW scheme.

Nice work sorting that out!
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #1303 on: June 15, 2017, 08:40:45 AM »
@Saim-Dann- Hey thanks man. As for the paint job, its just a real heavy nuln oil over Khorne Red. I then dry brush the shoulder pads, pick out the raised areas of armor between the gold trim (or some edges where I can find them) highlight Khorne red over the nuln-oil washed areas, and finish it off with a second highlight of Mephiston Red.

Also, yeah I did tweak the models all just a bit. Mainly I just bent them forward to make them look like they were moving forward instead of landing. Just used a little plastic glue to melt the plastic connecting them to the base, or just pinned them if the hold was too tenuous.

About the raised poses, it really doesnt bother me probably because I’ve got huge terrain pieces all over my board. We designed our terrain to have lots of line of sight blocking for everything from an Imperial Knight, to a Wraithguard or Assault Marines (my brother has a ton of Vanguard Vets and Assault Marines for his revilers). I found it to be easier to just make bigger terrain, but thats just me.

Anyway thanks Dann, always look forward to your feedback. Speaking of Harlies, Scorp82 just uploaded his army progression video on Harlies on the +channel. Can’t wait to check it while I paint!!! So stoked for that army to hit the channel and I’m sure you are too. Anyway bud thanks for the great feedback. Talk soon!

@Dread- Thanks buddy. Really glad you dig the claws. Was worried it wouldn’t work but as soon as I put down that Squig Orange I liked it. Thanks bud :)

@Looshkin- lol… thanks bud. Don’t worry I’ll blame myself! My art background should have taught me better! lol Just kidding. Super glad you like the progress so far. Also… I have a decent amount of boltgun silver on the back of the model with his thrusters, but I hear you. I’d like to have a bit more… maybe on the straps going over the breastplate? I’ll try it on one of my other dudes and see how I like it. It may be just one of those things though where the colors are a little off balance, but I get weird about having too many metallics… and the dark red and silver starts making me think Word Bearers which I dont want to invoke (Lorgar you punk…. lol) But I’ll give it a shot nonetheless. Anyway thanks bud I appreciate it!

@Irisado- Thanks so much Irisado. I’ve been super excited about modeling and painting this unit… and I wanted to do those “heat claws” as I call them ever since I painted the fiery hammers for my Dark Angels. Thanks so much for the kind words Irisado, your feedback is always appreciated :) :) :)

@Alienscar- Hey Alienscar! Thanks man, really glad you like him, especially the claws. I really wanted to do something a little different with these dudes, so I’m glad it worked. Yeah as for the modelling, all I did was sort of bend the model forward a bit. Some of the dudes needed to snipped off the scenic base bit (which comes with the model)  and just pinned at an angle but it was totally worth it. They come in a variety of poses, some of them “landing” type poses which works for the old deepstrike rules where you had to clump them together as you can fit more of them in a tighter area. I had problems with my Swooping Hawk conversions because they had bits sticking in all directions… but the way these come stock it would have been handy… except you dont need to clump your dudes anymore after deepstrike! Plus they are World Eaters so I need maximum aggression! lol

Also yes! You nailed it in regards to painting. Just a nice heavy wash, with a little clean up to bring the raised areas back to pure khorne red, a little Mephiston here and there (mostly dry brushing) and its done! The other guys in the squad have been handled slightly differently, but I’ll mention that in future posts with photos of the other squad members.

Anyway thanks so much for your feedback Alienscar I always look forward to your comments.

@Ynnedwraith- Hey Ynnead thanks man. Yes I was very keen on decluttering the model. The Balthazar Gold being washed in Nuln Oil along side the armor really helps. Also keeping the scheme reds, oranges, yellows and golds helps a lot (with a little boltgun for the ribbed areas in the knee joints and shoulder joints). The GW paint scheme is SUPER bright… with Retributor Gold trim and all that which to my mind is waaaay to bright. But I guess they want to remain consistent with older paint jobs. But I think it looks a lot better with darker hues. Anyway thanks man I appreciate it!

@Everybody- Well guys I want to make a big announcment! We are interviewing Gav Thorpe about his newest novel Jain Zarr- Storm of Silence! I’m really looking forward to it. We will be talking about the novel, Eldar background and even Codex creation of years past, so please let me know if there are any questions you would ask and I’ll try and work them in! We are recording Sunday @3:00pm EST, so please send any questions you may have. Feel free to post them here if you like.

Anyways guys thats it for now! I’ve got more models on the way and hopefully some games next week. Until then stay tuned and I’ll keep you posted on the interview!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #1304 on: June 15, 2017, 08:43:51 AM »
Congratulations on getting an interview with Gav Thorpe.  That's something of a coup and I hope that it goes very well.  I have no suggestions for questions at this time, but if anything does occur to me I'll let you know.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1305 on: June 17, 2017, 02:58:50 PM »
@Irisado- Thanks Irisado! Really looking forward to doing that interview... then of course diving into 8th edition. Should be a strong lineup of episodes coming up for the podcast. Feel free to shoot those questions in if any pop up. There was some very interesting bits of lore in the Jain Zarr novel so I'm looking forward to getting some info... particularly on Corsairs and the old Eldar gods (some very nice tie-ins for the background of my Lions of Asuryan). Anyway thanks Irisado!

@Everyone- Hey gang so back with an update for several projects! So full steam ahead on the World Eaters! I picked up the Index this morning and wrote up a list. I'm SOOOOO much closer to finishing this army than I thought! I never believed GW would ever hike-up the points... but you know what? Everything is so damn good you'll want to have options just to mix it up! This list I came up with seems very strong with a great mix of anti-infantry, anti-tank with a lot of blistering speed and deepstrike ability. So here's a preview!

Up first is Terminators! Using the Cataphractii Terminators from my Calth set. All options will be magnetized by these guys are gonna be Combi-Melta + Chainfist dudes to begin with. I have FW combi-bolters with all the attachments, so it should look killer! Also that brass etch I ordered is being used to make the shoulder pads and it looks wicked cool. My brother modeled these up and they are looking great so far. He begins magentizing tomorrow. I'll be painting these up in a variant theme on the Red Butchers. Should look cool!

Warp Talons are also coming along very nicely. Wow... after looking at their rules... and the way they can just jump over terrain and ignore vertical distances (like the heights of ruins, rocks, etc.) I'm sooooooo glad I made this purchase.

Both pics are WIP, but I'm happy with how they are turning out.

But never far from the painting desk are my Eldar. I've actually been re-fitting my Jetbikes with Shuriken Cannons (magnetizing them actually) and they look great. I haven't finished (I got 2 left out of 6) and I'll take pics as soon as they are done. However my long neglected Wraithknight is getting a bit of a unique conversion. Its sort of a vanity project as he has all magnetized options, but I figured I could use this in a pinch to represent stuff like the Inferno Cannon from FW as well. This is a WIP, but I'm really glad I did it. With the Wraithknight being fairly costed in terms of points I'm really looking forward to getting him back on the table and looking a bit more exotic.

Lastly! I'm painting up the Triumvirate of Ynnead on comission. Been waiting awhile for this to arrive but I'm looking forward to painting it. Should be really cool... in a dark variant of the Lugganath scheme. Can't wait!

Alright guys so thats it for now. Hope you enjoyed the update... more to come soon. Can't wait to paint up some more World Eaters... the Terminators should look rad. Alright talk soon guys!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1306 on: June 17, 2017, 07:59:47 PM »
Oh man so much cool stuff :) loving the Warp Talons and the Wraithknight. The former's coming on really nicely, and looking forward to what little improvements you make to that latter :)

Really looking forward to your Triumvirate commission. I thought they were a little iffy from the pictures when they were first released, but when I actually had them in my hand they're utterly beautiful models. I expect you'll do them great justice ;)

Absolutely can't wait for the Gav Thorpe interview :) while the models are very pretty and all, it's the sheer depth of imagination that's gone into the fantasy universe, Eldar specifically. Hearing the thoughts of the people who crafted it is fascinating :)

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1307 on: June 18, 2017, 05:38:46 AM »
G'day Cavalier!
What a glorious body of work. Your Warp Talons are coming along Nicely. Am glad you posted them the way you have. We can see the stage by stage Process... Very nice, and the Wraithknight; looking fast and dangerous.

Have mention your photography before, mate, but you are knocking them out of the park. Enjoying it so that even the unpainted Triumvirate looks ready to go. Highly recommend you use that photo as a reference for your shaded and highlighted areas. When blending my troops I take a photo of a model under a lamp, in the 12:00PM position, (My lads only attack at lunch time). It's a simple but effective technique.

Keep on keeping on, Cavalier, and be well! 

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #1308 on: June 18, 2017, 08:50:08 AM »
Awesome work Cav. I'm particularly loving the poses of your warp talons and the colour choice of your claws really works well with the rest of the scheme.

I think you picked a great time to start a chaos army, especially an assault centric one. Hopefully you can find an ork player in your area, as they would make for an excellent match for your Worldeaters.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1309 on: June 18, 2017, 09:38:07 AM »
@Ynneadwraith- Thanks bud! Glad you are liking the Talons and the refit on the Wraithknight. I really love my Wraithknight and its sucked not using him for the past year. So I'm wicked stoked to use him again. Yes! I agree the Triumvirate looks amazing in person. I really want the Visarch for my own collection. I think he'd pair great with some Incubi (who are up next on my repaint list). So glad you are looking forward to the interview with Gav Thorpe! I just finished the Jain-Zarr book last night and their are a number of fascinating bits of lore in their I can't wait to ask him. Feel free to shoot me a message or post it right here if there is a question you want to ask. We start our show prep around 2:00 pm EST. So shoot it in before then and I'll make sure to ask  ;D ;D ;D ;D

@Saim-Dann- Hey thanks so much man. No problem on the WIP pics glad you find them helpful. The guy who is the least finished in the set is the most basic stage of all my painting. He's just basecoated with balthazar on there. Thats typically how I start and then I start adding the other colors based on that original balance of color. Thanks so much on the photography... I wont lie I have STRUGGLED with it in the past... especially when sending progress pics to my bosses. But I figured out how to adjust the exposure and my life has been so nice since. Anyway thanks bud!

@Dog of War- Thanks DoW! Really glad you like the claws on the Talons. I agree too, it was really lucky to start a Chaos army when I did. Perfect lead in time to get the core established and I got lucky with the direction the game has taken. It will sure be nice to have a different army to take the gaming store instead of just my Eldar. Also yes! I would love to play against Orks sometime. They are ultra rare in these parts, but with the new edition they look better than ever. Hopefully I'll get to have a throw down against them. I'd love to play my Eldar against Orks too... especially with all my Scorpions and the Avatar! Anyway thanks bud can't wait to see those final updates on your Deffkoptas.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #1310 on: June 18, 2017, 09:59:02 AM »
Delayed congrats on getting the interview Cavalier.  :)

Also, your corsairs are giving me so many ideas for my Overlords.  The two factions have a lot in common, when you think about it.  ;D

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1311 on: June 18, 2017, 01:29:00 PM »
@Tangi- Thanks Tangi. Super pumped. I'm going on skype in about an hour. Wish me luck!

Also yes the Overlords have a ton in common with the Corsairs. Dwarves are also my fave. fantasy race so I'm not surprised I like them both.

Thanks!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1312 on: June 21, 2017, 03:11:17 PM »
@Everybody- Hey gang back with another update. Got some interesting project that I hope you enjoy.

First up the Trimuvirate! The client wanted these guys in a really unique Lugganath scheme which I really like. After learning how to use the oranges I'm super thrilled with how this guy came out. Hope you like it!

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4203/35064156150_98447ff794_z.jpg[/img]

Also! Work on the Warp Talons rolls on... 3 down 2 more to go!

Finally.... and CONTROVERSIALLY... World Eater terminators! Now I know what you guys are thinking... dude these are WAAAAY to basic. However! You'll have to see them painted to understand. I've got a crazy paint scheme that will really bring these guys to life. Its ambitious but I'm sure it'll work. Trust me these guys are gonna look gnarly!

Also they are totally magnetized thanks to my brother! He built all these dudes and they are totally magnetized. Both arms can come off, so I can swap out those combi-meltas and chains fists for all the other options. Speaking of which how bout those combi-meltas? Cool right?

And finally an objective marker for Chaos! My brother made this too I think it looks really funny/cool.

Anyway guys thats it for now. I've got a game coming up on Saturday... my first of 8th edition against Mike (famous for his Knights magnetic attraction to my Fire Dragons). He's got a list that he says has been steamrolling dudes... so I think I may be in for a rough ride... especially without my Hornets. So stay tuned. 1st 8th edition bat-rep coming up. Stay tuned!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1313 on: June 21, 2017, 11:40:18 PM »
G'day Cavalier!
Gnarly? Haven't heard that since the 90's. The commission project looks really good, and of coarse you like it, mate. It's red! Your Warp Talons are going to look amazing in full force, and that objective marker? What a great idea. Your brother has a fine tuned mind for this hobby. We all know you'll do an fantastic job on it.

Looking forward to more. Be well! 

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1314 on: June 22, 2017, 08:58:53 AM »
That Visarch is amazing. How much of the finished colour scheme is your input? Did the customer know it was going to look like that it or do you have free range.

Whatever the method the finally result is brilliantly threatening. It really complements the "I'm a badass" look that the model has. I also really like the way your painting adds to the sculpting of the cloak and how it enhances its sculpted flowing look.   
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #1315 on: June 22, 2017, 11:45:08 PM »
That visarch is just the cream. It all looks good. The Marines will look good no matter what. But the visarch, wow! Did you use blood for the blood gods on him?
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1316 on: June 23, 2017, 08:39:43 AM »
@Saim-Dann- Thanks bud. I know the red projects are flowing (like blood?) right now. Also my brother says thanks about the objective marker, he asked if anyone mentioned it, and I was happy to share your comment with him. Also yeah... can you tell I'm an 80's kid? Lol... Its so old its new  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Thanks bud for your awesome feedback as always!

@Alienscar- Hey thanks bud. The client actually sent me the picture down below that he had seen on the web and asked me to replicate it. Pretty much how it works is the client fills out a little document detailing what he wants and includes reference photos and I match it as best I can. Most clients dont fill out any information, they just want them in GW standard colors and I free style with some of the details.

\

This one was a bit challenging just because I didn't know if the model would look good without the most striking colors featured on his armor, but I'm really happy with the results. Thanks so much for your compliments on the cloak. That was really the most challenging part of the model. Working with Troll Slayer Orange is a nightmare. Luckily Reikland Flesh wash really adds to to it, and Squig Orange and Fire Dragon Bright are wicked high quality with nice opaqueness. Anyway thanks Alienscar I really appreciate your feedback bud. Thanks!

@Dread- Thanks man, really glad you dig him and the Talons. As for the Visarch, no Blood for the Blood God. Just a little dry brush + edge highlight with Khorne Red, a Nuln Oil Gloss wash, then re-highlight with khorne red and mephiston. Really the main thing is just the dry brush and Nuln Oil Gloss. I could have just left it at that for a really nice tabletop quality paint job. But the extra detailing is worth it. Thanks man really glad you like them!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1317 on: June 23, 2017, 03:38:09 PM »
Wow man I'm absolutely loving that Lugganath scheme :) best one I've seen! Really, really suits the Visarch too :)

Love the little objective marker too. Absolutely brilliant :) there's so much potential in that little idea too. There's a little Ork bit I have which is just a shoe with a bone sticking out of it that's crying out to be an objective marker ;)

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1318 on: June 23, 2017, 08:29:22 PM »
Crikey Moses!
Someone carved up two bright lances for banner poles? Obviously constructed by an Ork player.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1319 on: June 29, 2017, 09:05:28 AM »
@Saim-Dann- Lol, no those come with the model.  ;D ;D ;D

@Ynneadwraith- Thanks man! Really appreciate the comments on the Visarch. Both the client and my boss were very pleased. Thanks about the objective marker too, my brother is so stoked you guys like it. Thanks as always for your great feedback Ynnead, its always apperciated!

8th Edition Battle Report
2000pts- Eldar vs. Imperial Guard
[/size]

ELDAR

-Patrol Detachment-
Illic Nightspear
Shining Spears x4
Rangers x5
Avengers x10
   Wave Serpent- Twin Shuriken Cannons, Shuriken Cannon
Scorpions x9- Exarch, Claw
Scorpions x9- Exarch, Claw
Warp Hunter- Crystal Targetting Matrix, Vectored Engines
Scourges x5- Lances x4

-Spearhead Detachment-
Warlock
Windriders x3- Shuriken Cannons x3
Windriders x3- Shuriken Cannons x3
Hornets x2- Brightlances x4

IMPERIAL GUARD

Company Commander
Commissar
Commissar
Primaris Psyker
Conscripts x50 (?)
Conscripts x50 (?)
Vetarans x10- Lascannon, Plasma Gun
Company Command x3, Missile Launcher
Company Command x3, Grenade Launcher
Company Command x3, Grenade Launcher
Valkyrie
Imperial Knight- Avenger, Battlecannon, Missiles, Flamer, Melta
Leman Russ Punisher
Basilisk

Mission: Kill Points, Deployment: Spearhead Assault

So guys this was my first game of 8th edition and it was a doozy. My opponent Mike has played about 8 games so far, so he really had fine tuned his list as will be apparent. So lets dive, right in!

Turn 1

Eldar- Sooooo this was gonna be tough. That huge double line of Conscripts literally stretched over 6' of tabletop, with overlapping morale aura from multiple Commissars and the Company Commander hidden out of LOS on the far right of the table. Not only that but they'd be able to split fire and if they fall back out of combat, order ensure they automatically rally and can start shooting again. I was feeling out of my depth immediately, but I did what I always do... start killing stuff! lol So I dropped my Scourges T1 and targetted the Knight, rolled poorly with the lances missing on 3 of them, failing to wound with the other, but the Shard Carbine caused a wound. Well... its a start! The Warp Hunter failed to do anything against the Knight, but the Hornets racked up 3 wounds. Sweet! The Jetbikes moved out, hiding out of LOS as much as possible, unloaded into the Conscripts and took out about 10 of them altogether. I dropped the Scorpions down in the middle and on the right and started advancing in tandem with the Shining Spears to attack the left flank of the Conscripts and try and avoid as much overwatch as possible. My goal was to tie them up, slow them down and just keep them out of my lines and away from my Jetbikes, Hornets etc. My Rangers + Illic fluffed their hits and so it was an uneventful turn. Because of the morale boost from the Commissars only a single model was removed due to Morale. I had to kill those Commissars!

Imperial Guard- The IG let loose with the Baslisk on the Scorpions killing 5 of them. The Punisher then shot forward 12" around a ruin and killed 8 from the second squad of Scorpions. The Knight, the Lascannon from the Vets all unloaded into the Wave Serpent with Avengers and knocked up about 4 wounds. The Knight also killed the Scourge with ease. The Valkyrie shoots forward and drops 3x Command Squads 2 with missiles, 1 with grenade launchers.  The Conscripts killed a single Jetbike and everything else was out of range or out of LOS. Morale was rolled for the Scorpions and I lost the whole squad on a terrible roll. Very frustrating! I did not like how Comissars were able to instill better morale into Conscripts covering 6ft of board, where my Aspect Warriors were running like cowards. None the less we soldier on!

Turn 2

Eldar- I was definitley feeling the pressure. My opponent really knew what he was doing with his list, his deployment, and his overall strategy- and I was struggling in all those areas except deployment. So I had to get to grips with things. I shot forward with my Shining Spears towards the Conscripts I had to get these guys into combat. I also moved forward with the remaining unit of Scorpions for an 8" charge. Meanwhile the Warp Hunter and Hornets combined to strip only 3 more wounds off the Knight who was rolling hot with his Invuln. saves. The bikes managed to remove a number of Conscripts, while Illic fluffed his roll to hit (again) but the Rangers killed one of the Commissars which was huge. I then shot the Spears catapults+lances which was a suprisingly high volume of shots into the Conscripts killed a bunch and then charged. They did very decent in assault, but they aren't made for crowd control and only removed like 4 or 5 models and took no damage in return. Unfortunately my Scorpions FAILED to make their charge and without fleet there was nothing for it. Another somewhat poor turn from the Eldar.

Imperial Guard- The Knight moved forward and combined fire with the Basilisk and Veteran Lascannon to take down the Wave Serpent emptying the Avengers and Warlock onto the battlefield. I used clever placement to get them out of LOS. The Conscripts fall back, receive orders that allow them to shoot and then began the neverending First Rank, Second Rank Fire barrage. The Conscripts split fire and quadruple shoot into the Shining Spears, Scorpions and Jetbikes. The Scorpions get wiped out, but the Spears and Jetbikes only take a wound apiece! Shocking! The process is then repeated and only a single Shining Spear goes down. Meanwhile the Hornets and Warp Hunter continue to be ignored as they are out of LOS.

Turn 3

Eldar- The Shining Spears move deep into the right flank for another charge, this time against the Punisher which has come back to defend the lines and the conscripts. The Warp Hunter tucks deeper into LOS blocking cover, the Hornets hold position. Meanwhile I'm seeing an opening... with the Avengers, 2x Jetbikes and Warlock all near each other... I can finally pull of Soulburst shenanigans! So I cast a power from the Warlock granting a Soulburst to the Jetbikes, they unload into one of the small Command units with a Missile Launcher but fail to kill them! However... the Avengers then blow away a fresh Command Team, granting the Warlock a Soulburst, who charges into the squad wounded by the Jetbikes... he kills them, granting a soulburst to the Avengers who then blow away a the 3rd and final Command squad. Wow! That was awesome!

The Warp Hunter fails to do anything with more hot invuln saves by the Knight but the Hornets rack up another 3 or 4 wounds. Meanwhile, the Spears then tag up the Punisher inflicting some serious wounds, then shoot into the Conscripts and charge taking a handful of guys down. They aren't having much impact against these hordes of guys, but they are tanking wounds like nobodies business and causing trouble. I'm very impressed. This was a good turn. I'm starting to get a handle on things.

Imperial Guard- So the fallback from combat, receive orders enabling them to shoot again, are then ordered to First Rank, Second Rank and quadruple shoot into the Spears (seeing a pattern?) However terrible rolls see the Exarch survive!The tank falls back but cannot shoot. The Basilisk shooots into the Warp Hunter and causes 2 wounds. The Knight begins by boldly jumping forward! Dang I know I'm in hot water. He shoots a Hornet with his missiles but only inflicts a single wound (note: I goofed the rules on this and thought Vectored Engines imposed an additional -1 to hit, but they shouldnt have). He then blows away a unit of Jetbikes... and I pull off a daring Soulburst! I soulburst charge the Warlock into the Knight and stop him dead in his tracks! Overwatch, and combat see him take no damage thanks to some awesome Invuln. saves and I stop the shooting phase right then and there! Incredible! However another terrible Morale roll ruins the fun seeing 5 Avengers removed (who took fire from the Conscripts) and they are reduced to only 4 guys. Brutal... really hating how my Aspect Warriors are getting ravaged by morale and the Guard are essentially ignoring it. Oh well, gotta kill those characters and then its a totally different ballgame.

Turn 4- The Avengers make a break for Linebreaker, the Shining Spear sets up a 4 inch charge against a Commissar. The Warlock falls back out of combat to allow the Warp Hunter and Hornets to finish off the Knight... which they promptly do! Combined fire eradicates the Knight but the explosion causes mortal wounds which wipe out the remaining Jetbikes and Warlock. Oh well, it was worth the trade off! The Rangers + Illic are out of position and but kill a handful of Conscripts and the Shining Spear Exarch FAILS his charge which is like 4". Brutal!

Wrap-Up- So to quickly conclude... the Rangers went on to kill and additional Commissar meaning the first rank of Conscripts was finally without their insane morale buff. The Basilisk managed to put about 4 more wounds on the Warp Hunter and then the Hornets managed to take out the Basilisk with some expert shooting. Those Bright Lances are nasty! In the end I had taken out everything but the Company Command Squad, a badly wounded punisher, the Conscripts were beat up as hell (one squad was in single digits for models, the other in the low 20's with no morale support) and the Valkyrie was flying around doing pretty much nothing because of the Heavy Weapons rule. I had my Rangers, Hornets and Warp Hunter all very much alive and kicking butt.

However we had to call the game because of time... and it was a 10-6 victory for the Imperial Guard. I'm sure it was satisfying for Mike. It was a very well played game on his part and a great trial run for me with my Eldar.

Concluding Thoughts- I cannot finish this bat-rep without mentioning this... as you are wondering why we called it so early... Well the reason was this game took 6 HOURS to play. Mike is very talkative... and literally forcing me to stop after every dice roll telling me about some new aspect of the game. This was compounded by the immense amount of time it took move, shoot, order, split fire and just roll the buckets and buckets of dice that come with almost permanently quadruple firing Conscripts.

A 6 hour game was not what I signed up for, and I'll admit I was kind of angry about it. Told him I had things I needed to do after the game and I didn't want to be exhausted afterwards and I tried every non-verbal cue to get him to keep it moving but it didn't work. In the end I told him directly it was a real slog and that I was disappointed I wasn't able to experience the fast pace of the new game. I wasn't angry outwardly, but inwardly I was mad that my first game so brutally long.

Aside from that though, it was a good eye opener. I felt I gave a good account of myself against an army that had ways around so much of what makes combat and morale deadly. I felt I learned to adapt pretty well and was glad I was able to mount a good comeback. With my Rangers still alive and my Warp Hunter and Hornets still operational I felt I could have killed the final commissar and take out those Conscripts and still win the game. A long shot certainly, but I could see that I could do it.

My overall impressions of the new edition are very positive. I have some more in-depth thoughts on the Eldar and how they'll do in 8th which I'll cover in my next update as new units are inbound for the Lions of Asuryan! So stay tuned for that! Anyway guys thanks for tuning in and I'll talk to you all soon. Stay tuned for exciting Eldar updates!

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:32:03 AM by Cavalier »