News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Warhammer 40,000 Cartoon?  (Read 17400 times)

Offline Dark_Zadok

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • With Faith comes Fire
Warhammer 40,000 Cartoon?
« on: January 15, 2009, 05:58:59 PM »
Anyone know if the powers that be ever plan to consider doing a 40k Cartoon/ Anime Series? Or why they havent done one... or if one is being done?

i think its a Media that would really increase popularity in all forms of 40k, it would capture peoples imaginations even more so than just Reading the books. Inspiring people with Tactics, ideas, conversions, colour schemes.
all the additional fluff that they just can't cramp in Codex's and books, could be played through in this direction of animation.
Really bringing to Life the Table Top, as well as renoun Characters.

Anyways yes, i'm just thinking why this isnt being addressed -or maybe it is... and i'm the last one to know....Typical...  ;)

Z
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 06:00:10 PM by Dark_Zadok »

Offline FifthWindDieGermanator

• Marines are Toughness 3! | Termagant
Re: Warhammer 40,000 Cartoon?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 06:23:20 PM »
While it would be awesome, there would be an issue with it.

If the series was made with even a PG rating in mind, it would ruin the image that GW has set up, with war everywhere, hope is gone, and that most common deaths able to be experienced in the 41st millenium would be way too gruesome to ever think of hinting at.

Or, if the series was made for the most mature audience you can think of, it will never reach the amount of potential buyers that GW would probably want from such a series, due to either, not being allowed to watch it, not wanting to watch it, or be on so late/so early that no one is awake to see it.
"special weapons, what special weapons, oh look skulls, BLAAAGABLAGAAAGGGGG BLOOD SKULLS BLOOD SKULLS"
-Sanctjud

I'd rather you hate me, For everything I am, Than have you love me, For something that I can't
- Five Finger Death Punch

Beware, Rules Lawyers, beware!

Offline Mr.Tanks

• Grot
  • Lord Despot of Dakka.
  • Armies: The Brave & Noble Albion 212th Imperial Guard
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »
There's a 40k comic that focuses on the Imperial Guard and Tau, though the name escapes me.

I doubt an animated series of any sort will be produced.
What I cannot crush with words, I shall crush with the tanks of the Imperial Guard!

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 06:39:06 PM »
Well, we've already got Turn Signals on a Land Raider.    ;D  What more do you want?  ;)

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.

Offline Vespasian Swiper

• Dear Live Journal...
  • Damn Dora...
    • Club DM
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 06:57:36 PM »
Golden Throne for all those needs...

If it was ever updated.
Its an even stranger day when you have a fat Games Workshop-Fanboy Ninja declare to end you for something you did for April Fools on Teh Interwebz.

It's a strange day in the world where I find myself agreeing more often than not with Swiper.  :D

Offline Jehoel

• Insanity is the sanest choice
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 02:16:54 AM »
uhm...there are plenty of 40k comics! At least in this country.

Just check out this link: (language is danish, but it should prove my point)
http://www.fantask.dk/default.asp?id=1

If it doesn't work type in "warhammer" in the top right search box. Next to it it says: "Alle produkter". Scroll down and choose "Tegneserier" and then press "SØG"

Hope it works...

Bahzhakhaim Zhai Dialcaman of the Biel-tan
___________________ ___________________ ____

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." - Jack Handey

Offline Bannedface666

• BANNED - Spammer: Forum Blathermouth | Archite
  • Artist for hire... Mostly banned :)
    • cubiclebattles
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 03:02:23 AM »
Well, we've already got Turn Signals on a Land Raider.    ;D  What more do you want?  ;)

NewHeretic

Something that is actually good?   :P

What the OP wants is a feature length cartoon. But I think it would be a bad idea. You would end up with an abortion like Mortal Kombat. Watered down garbage intended to please the masses... Sort of like the previous 3 editions of 40k LOL ... :)

At least GW puts out the occasional comic book for 40k. Those have always been awesome to read.

Offline Ailaros

• Why do the poutiest guys get the biggest guns?
    • my webpage
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 03:06:22 AM »
Plus, GW is REALLY touchy when it comes to it's intellectual property rights. You have to keep it barely within the realm of 40k, or you'll get nailed like damnatus.

That being said, here's one that I did a while ago:

http://www.ailarian.com/folera/articles/humor/index.html
(look under "foleran flirst")

Visit my My Battle Report Archive.
Winner of the 2007 "Best Writer of Articles", "Strategic Excellence", and "Imperial Guard Poster of the Year" awards.

Offline Bannedface666

• BANNED - Spammer: Forum Blathermouth | Archite
  • Artist for hire... Mostly banned :)
    • cubiclebattles
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 03:17:11 AM »
Plus, GW is REALLY touchy when it comes to it's intellectual property rights. You have to keep it barely within the realm of 40k, or you'll get nailed like damnatus.

WTF!?!?!?!?

Folerian First #4 Pay Day is your best one ha!!! It took me two reads to finally realize what was going on.

Kudos on such a wonderful Comic.

Offline Moonsinger

• The Cause of Priapism | Meanie!
  • Ancient
    • KFD-Comics
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 02:07:10 PM »
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/Moonsinger/KFD_comic_22.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/Moonsinger/KFD_comic_41jpg.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/Moonsinger/KFD_comic_51.jpg

KFD was/is (hey we still got all the total of 60 comics in the computers :3) the greatest of all comics, sadly it was ahead of its time, if it had come around with DoW, we would've been world famous (wishthinking :D). I've thought many times to make more comics, but now that I draw better ( http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/Moonsinger/crusadar.jpg ) the whole "oh is this good?" and selfcriticism would just smash it all. :S

//Cheers
Dwarf Females <3
Priapism is considered a medical emergency, which should receive proper treatment by qualified medical people

Offline Lucky_Jackal

• I feel akword
  • "What can I say? It's not my cup of tea."
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 02:27:28 PM »
I think a 40k cartoon whould be akin to thows old cheesey live action 40k videos. You can find them on youtube.

http://www.ailarian.com/folera/articles/humor/foleran-flirst-2.html

"You change my post and I'll cut you".
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 03:26:26 PM by Lucky_Jackal »

Offline Dark_Zadok

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • With Faith comes Fire
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 04:21:07 PM »
i was thinking something a little more like the Animatrix, or the Batman: Gotham Knight Series.
Dark and Grim relfecting the 40k Universe..

now you could argue... well then kids under 15 couldn't watch them etc. but the honest truth is they grow up! it gives them something to look forward to...
Plus, the game Halo and GTA are for like 16+ (Halo) and 18+ (GTA) and 10 years old kids go on about them as if its normal. Hey, Even the Star Wars Original Triology weren't a 'U' when it first came out. Times have changed.

all i'm saying is... they could do something really cool with the world of 40k, and not lose anything from it just gain a bigger fan-base.

Z

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 05:43:46 PM »
If it could be done well, and without a visual dry hump of the Ultramarines, then it could work. But as has been said, GW are very stingey about their intellectual property.

Offline FifthWindDieGermanator

• Marines are Toughness 3! | Termagant
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 08:20:26 PM »
i was thinking something a little more like the Animatrix, or the Batman: Gotham Knight Series.
Dark and Grim relfecting the 40k Universe..

now you could argue... well then kids under 15 couldn't watch them etc. but the honest truth is they grow up! it gives them something to look forward to...
Plus, the game Halo and GTA are for like 16+ (Halo) and 18+ (GTA) and 10 years old kids go on about them as if its normal. Hey, Even the Star Wars Original Triology weren't a 'U' when it first came out. Times have changed.

all i'm saying is... they could do something really cool with the world of 40k, and not lose anything from it just gain a bigger fan-base.

Z

Except, as I said before, it would have to be too gruesome for daytime television to keep with the image GW has stuck in our heads for 40k, and hence, basically no one will watch it.
"special weapons, what special weapons, oh look skulls, BLAAAGABLAGAAAGGGGG BLOOD SKULLS BLOOD SKULLS"
-Sanctjud

I'd rather you hate me, For everything I am, Than have you love me, For something that I can't
- Five Finger Death Punch

Beware, Rules Lawyers, beware!

Offline Dark_Zadok

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • With Faith comes Fire
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 09:40:40 PM »
Bring it Straight out on to DVD...
Problem Solved.

Z

Offline Moonsinger

• The Cause of Priapism | Meanie!
  • Ancient
    • KFD-Comics
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 02:33:40 AM »
I feel old when it was "bring it straight out on to VHS" ;_;
Dwarf Females <3
Priapism is considered a medical emergency, which should receive proper treatment by qualified medical people

Offline Tanuvein

• Ork Boy
  • Da weirdest boyz da bestest!
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 11:45:31 AM »
Bring it straight out on blu-ray!

:P
What can change the nature of a man?

It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?

Offline Jehoel

• Insanity is the sanest choice
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 11:50:33 AM »
I just want to be sure on what we are discussing?

Are we talking comics or live action cartoons. Because as I stated previously there are plenty of comics. Not just the small comedy strips

Bahzhakhaim Zhai Dialcaman of the Biel-tan
___________________ ___________________ ____

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." - Jack Handey

Offline SMVaughn

• "I am and always shall be your friend." - LN
  • Armies: Space Marines, Dark Angels, Eldar, Chaos Marines
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 12:02:02 PM »
I think an Animated version of this would so rock.

However the animation would have to fall under Manga / Japanimation. As they have in not so many ways been able to get away with a great many sick and twisted titles...Akira ring a bell anyone...or how about Barefoot Gen ( not the coolest title around, however the visual rendition of Hiroshima was quite unsettling even for me at 20.) However they also have other rather decent titles. And they would more then likly be unbiased to Ultra marines glory roads.

I would think they could very well make a Series of it, as gruesome as they like. Even if Tod Mcfarlen got his hands into it...Anitmated Spawn ring any bells.

That all said. Sociaties nack for censorship and GW's tastes differ greatly from those of us who have very active imaginations. So although a Wicked proposition, sadly we are SOL for the visual mayhem we would like to see to contrast our models "blowing" up or being Obliterated by 34 attacks in a charge or round of shooting. Following musical death screams of blood curtaling pleasure as the Slannesh torture their victims relentlessly. =( Oh well. Maybe one day we will get our candy and get to eat it too.

One day... * crosses fingers and wishes and prays to what ever Warhammer gods are out there!

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 07:09:19 AM »
Well there is a strong rumour of a CGI short animated film coming out soon.

This was mentioned I believe at Games Day?

It is being produced to tie in with the XBox 360 Space marine game that is currently in development.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mbjbbzOrCIg

It will unfortunately feature the Ultramarines, and as far as I know is basically just an extended version of the CGI clips from the game, or is being produced by the same team doing the clips for the game.

It's all a bit sketchy, and is only a rumour, but it was let slip by a member of Black Library staff.

Ok so it's not an animated series, but I reckon if it sells (which of course it will!) then something may come of it.

And I agree, something like Animatrix or Chronicles of Riddick:Dark Fury would be really cool.

A series of short animated films on one DVD would be my suggestion.

And talking of comic strips, ages ago I came across a 40K version of Family Guy which was pretty funny.

http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=164947.0

;D
Dig in, and wait for winter.