News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: OMG Tracks!  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Temperance

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
OMG Tracks!
« on: January 26, 2016, 03:53:17 PM »
So I've been away from the hobby for a long time.... but they've added littled groove marks for the tracks on tanks now? That's amazing. For real. I swear to god track gluing was my nemesis for the longest time when I used to play, this is the simplest - and most amazing - innovation ever. I'm assembling a chimera and leman russ atm, and this is just the best quality of life thing ever.

From BoLS, I hear they even have the tracks in resin /on/ the model and you don't have to glue them at all (for some things). I'm not sure how I feel about that, as I like assembling my models, but eliminating the track-angling guess work is such a good idea on GW's part.

Props to them.

This post really has no main point. I just felt it had to be said.

In other news, my return to 40k ended up taking an IG form after all. I loved that initial Tau squad I bought, but quickly realized it was just the models I liked, and not the army. I'd much rather have an army with models I like and rules/feel I enjoy than an army with models I love and rules I'm not entirely on board with. I ended up picking up the big boxed set with 20 guardsmen + pcs + 3 hwt + lr + chimera, and mixed it up with ~20 guardsmen and a few commisars I already have. Not a bad army start. I have a bunch of sisters of battle as well, and think I'll use them as proxies for vets (if not allies). I have two repressors, which I'd proxy as tauroxes (i hate the taurox, and think the FW repressor is super-cool).

#Enlisted.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 05:08:49 PM by Temperance »

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
Re: OMG Tracks!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 09:31:14 PM »
Some will never understand the  pain of the old style Russ and Chimera kits. The tracks I could cope with but dear God those wheels...

Oh and if you're not a fan of the normal Taurox there are some nice 3rd party conversion kits for them to give them wheels, makes them look a lot better than with the gw standard tracks.

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 07:42:51 AM »
My personal problem with the Taurox isn't so much the tracks as the terrible armor rating.

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 09:20:52 AM »
Yes, the new track system is a gigantic improvement over the old ones, being so simple and maker friendly to do.  Making IG tanks is a  pleasure these days.  However, the old ones were useful for converting.

And I don't mind the tauroxes tracks either.  What bothers me is the layout of the weapons.  Either stuck to the side behind the passenger doors or in a turret that is blocked by the back of the roof.  Not very practical.

And maybe it could be a bit cheaper in points too.  Just a bit.  35 maybe?