News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: "The Oval" formation  (Read 1787 times)

Offline Azonalanthious

• Biker Nob | KoN Veteran
  • When in doubt, use more explosives.
"The Oval" formation
« on: January 19, 2011, 04:02:24 PM »
Large blast weapons are no fun for orks.  In particular S8+ large blast templates are the ban of nob-bikers everywhere.  So in the spirit of orkish unity (if there is such a thing), I though I would share a formation I've taken to using when I run nob bikers to shield them from just such a threat.  I think of it as "the oval" and its shown in fig 1 below.  Basicly its a double line with the bikes positions horizontally with 2" between then, with the end bikes positions placed verticaly to spread the two lines.  Because of the larger biker bases (almost 3") this formation, when done properly, makes it impossible to ever cover more then 2 models even with a large blast template and very hard to get 3 even with a flamer template.  Now, this does use up a fair amount of board space, but if you are running 10 nob bikers, lets face it, you probably have the space because they are eating up so many points.  ;)  Additionally, it spreads out your units which makes it harder for them to all reach combat range -- but this is a bigger problem with regular infantry then it is with bikes.  Again, we make use of the large base, this time shown in fig 2 below.  You still need a model with 6" to be able to start the assault.  But by making use of that almost 3" base again and the fact that you need to be within 2" of a model thats in base to base, you can add ~5" to your assault range -- you need that all import 6" away bike, but by measuring 2" from the end of his 3" base (its actually even a bit higher then 3" if put him at an angle so you go from corner to corner rather then along an edge) you can have bikes from up to 11" away at the start of the assault fighting normally.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Re: "The Oval" formation
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 09:11:54 AM »
Now that is just one heck of a good idea. I will be using it in the very near future.

I have been running the letter "M" formation, with a simular mindset; to avoid those S8/10 templates like from basalisks, and vindicators.  Where the template could only catch 3 if it hit a corner. With the oval they can only ever hit 2.  Consider this idea officially borrowed and added to the play book of my army.

Thanks
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 03:52:51 PM »
Great first run on a tactica Azonalanthious!  Well I know you didn't mean it to be a tactica, but with the tiniest bit of legwork you have one right here, which would not only garner teef for the WotW, its something that the greater 40kcommunity of the Article board needs!

If you are interested in upgrading this to a full tactica I suggest taking any and all input you get here and improve the article for a posting in the Ork Article board (which I believe as a minimum post count as to access it).  Once on the Article board editors and other Article workers work with you to improve the article before you submit it to the Article Board itself, where it will shine in the halls of 40konline, and possibly get on the front page of the Forum.

All that aside, I too must admit that for years I was using an M styled formation with my Bikers, but the Oval is superior!  Thanks for the advice Az

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 04:07:12 PM »
Not an ork player, but I saw this and... well I cursed myself for not having thought of it before....

And I would like to see this made into a tactica as well...

Just my 2 cents
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 05:46:17 PM »
See Azonalanthious there's more than one person who'd like you to turn it into a tactica.  Not to sound pushy, but you should do it!

This prized tactical idea would work for every army, not just Ork bikers and Koptas, and can seriously improve other armies who similarly rely on large numbers of bikers/jetbikers like Siam Hann.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Azonalanthious

• Biker Nob | KoN Veteran
  • When in doubt, use more explosives.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
Great first run on a tactica Azonalanthious!  Well I know you didn't mean it to be a tactica, but with the tiniest bit of legwork you have one right here, which would not only garner teef for the WotW, its something that the greater 40kcommunity of the Article board needs!

If you are interested in upgrading this to a full tactica I suggest taking any and all input you get here and improve the article for a posting in the Ork Article board (which I believe as a minimum post count as to access it).  Once on the Article board editors and other Article workers work with you to improve the article before you submit it to the Article Board itself, where it will shine in the halls of 40konline, and possibly get on the front page of the Forum.

All that aside, I too must admit that for years I was using an M styled formation with my Bikers, but the Oval is superior!  Thanks for the advice Az

Peace
~OD

Technically speaking, the nobz piece here: http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=209943.0 would be my first run at an article worth piece, since it was written and posted before this (though on the same day).  Actually, if you want to get really technical, I could make an argument that my true first run was a piece on the virtues on running stealth suit units as a mix of suits and drones in the Tau section a couple of years ago -- not as detailed as the nob one, but more detailed then this.  :D

I've a few ideas on how to expand this (there is always more stuff to say), so maybe I'll add a bit in the next couple days and see where it goes.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 11:57:27 AM by Azonalanthious »