News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: First shot at GKs 2000 points  (Read 1202 times)

Offline 0verKill_235

• Greasing tank treads with xeno filth since 2005.
First shot at GKs 2000 points
« on: July 8, 2011, 01:55:16 AM »
Hi everybody! I am interested in starting a proper GK army and recently (ie finally) assembled some squads. But I want to write a few lists, and follow the current trends before committing to a certain list and buying (more) models. How is this for a start?

What I got here is what I have on hand and can proxie with similar models (a shoe box is a good stand in for a Land Raider Storm Ravenright?).

*List updated 7/8/2011 Old list below new*

HQ-495
GK Grand Master w/ master-crafted, halberd, digital weapon, rad-grenades, psychotroke grenades.

Librarian w/ warding staff, teleport homer, Mastery 3, Sanctuary, Might of Titian,Warp Rift.

Elite
Vindicare Assassin

Troops -838
GK Terminators 5x w/ Psycannon, Psybolt Ammo, 1x Deamon hammer, 4x halberds.

GK Terminators 5x w/ Incinerator, Psybolt ammo, 3x halbreds, 1, sword, 1x Warding staff

GK Strike 10x w/ 9x halberds, 2x Psycannons, 1x warding staff, psybolt ammo, rhino     

Fast Attack -385
GK Interceptors 5x w/ 1x deamon hammer, 4x sets of falchions

Storm Raven w/ twin linked muli-melta, assault cannon

Heavy Support -135

Dreadnough w/ 2x auto cannons, psybolt ammo

Old list (for comparison) 

HQ-505
GK Grand Master w/ master-crafted, halberd, digital weapon, Orbital strike relay

Librarian w/ warding staff, teleport homer, Mastery 3, Vortex of Doom, Might of Titian.

Elites
Vindicare Assassin

Troops -798
GK Terminators 5x w/ Psycannon, Psybolt Ammo, 1x Daemon hammer, 4x halberds.

GK Terminators 5x w/ Incinerator, Psybolt ammo, 3x halbreds, 1, sword, 1x Warding staff.

GK Strike 10x w/ 9x halberds, 2x Psycannons, 1x warding staff, psybolt ammo     

Fast Attack -180
GK Interceptors 5x w/ 1x daemon hammer, 4x sets of falchions

Heavy Support -370

Land Raider Crusader w/ psybolt ammo, warp stabilization field.
« Last Edit: July 8, 2011, 06:57:26 PM by 0verKill_235 »
Death before Dismount!

Offline Dark_Zadok

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • With Faith comes Fire
Re: First shot at GKs 2000 points
« Reply #1 on: July 8, 2011, 02:49:44 AM »
Hey Man,
 I think you've got a pretty decent list there, with plenty going on.

I see you've put down a libby with mastery level 3 but only mentioned 2 powers. Are we right in assuming because you have the warpfield on the Landraider, you plan on taking the summoning power? I'm personally not one for the Vortex of doom, just because I think it's too risky, and would prefer something like the shrouding - but that's your choice -because you could do really with vortex.

The summoning tactic does work, I once deepstriked my libby on the field and the very next turn, I summoned my Landraider with Draigo inside right into the heart of my enemy's lines - it was a beautiful moment.

Vindicare - he's a lot of fun and very useful. glad to see him in there.

One thing I'd suggest is not taking the OSR with the Grandmaster, and instead give him Rad grenades, Psycostroke grenades and possibly blind grenades. Attach him to a squad of terminators, and maybe via your LR send  them in to some CC goodness.
With those grenades...you're going to have a lot of fun, especially if you add hammerhand in to the mix!

Hope I've proved to be some what useful.

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
« Reply #2 on: July 8, 2011, 10:21:29 AM »
As Zadok said, a good solid list.

I'll throw in my 2 pence worth to help you streamline a few units.

Grandmaster is a close combat monster and generally wants to be in the thick of the fighting or moving to get to the fighting, he's to good and to expensive to have sitting around using an OSR. Give him a couple of our awesome grenades and get him to combat.
On that note most people prefer to give the GM a sword instead of a halberd, this is due to him already having good init thus not needing the init boost from the halberd to hit first against most opponents, also the 3++ save from the sword is great.

Librarian - I like the warding staff and always take one, the mastery level is a little expensive in my mind especially as you only have a couple of powers. One of the great things about the libby is his selection of powers that can be used in the opponents turn. For example take the shrouding and sanctuary to use on their turn and the summoning and warp rift to use on your own. Four powers and you get to use them all.
If you are thinking of using the summoning remember that it doesn't benefite from the teleport homer.

Vindicare - Great, adds needed anti tank.

Terminators - I'm assuming one of these squad is riding in the LR and the other is either walking in or holding a backfield objective. If you combine the two squads into one and then combat squad them you can save some points and also get better squads.
This would mean you only need to buy one set of Psybolts and could get two psycannons and put them both in the footslogging squad for a great ranged support unit.

Strike squad - These guys look like they could be an assault unit but they aren't good enough at it, they may have power weapons but one attack is there downfall. Where they exel is mid-range firepower and should be used as such. If you drop the halberds and warding staff you could happily get them a rhino (tissue box for now ;)) this would give them much needed mobility and they can fire their two psycannons out of the top. It's also worth giving them a daemon hammer to help out against vehicles.

Intercepters - Similar to the strike squad about these guys aren't that good in assault and the falcions are a really expensive way to try and make them better. For the cost of the 4xfalcions you can very nearly buy two extra guys. These would give you the same amount of extra attacks on the charge (and they will usually get the charge) and also give you extra firepower and wounds.
They are best used to assault small units and back field objective holders and they wont need the falcions to win verses those type of enemy, a good option here is the incinerator as its great with the 30' pin-point accurate jump.

Dreadnought - Brilliant  :D

Landraider - The psybolts make the hurricane bolters S5 so they don't count as defensive weapons anymore, I think a better buy would be a multimelta giving you some heavy antitank power, great for popping transport so the landy's contents can charge whatever spills out. Also the WSF is only useful with the summoning and considering the teleport homer doesn't help this is an expensive model to risk in a DS accident.

Hope thats of some use, feel free to ignore or ask any other questions.

Offline f.desrochers

• Wraithlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: July 8, 2011, 01:11:34 PM »
HQ-505
GK Grand Master w/ master-crafted, halberd, digital weapon, Orbital strike relay

Librarian w/ warding staff, teleport homer, Mastery 3, Vortex of Doom, Might of Titian.

Elites
Vindicare Assassin

Troops -798
GK Terminators 5x w/ Psycannon, Psybolt Ammo, 1x Daemon hammer, 4x halberds.

GK Terminators 5x w/ Incinerator, Psybolt ammo, 3x halbreds, 1, sword, 1x Warding staff.

GK Strike 10x w/ 9x halberds, 2x Psycannons, 1x warding staff, psybolt ammo     

Fast Attack -180
GK Interceptors 5x w/ 1x daemon hammer, 4x sets of falchions

Heavy Support -370

Land Raider Crusader w/ psybolt ammo, warp stabilization field

From first glance, seemed decent enough, but there are some eyebrow raising choices. I'll just jump into it.

GKGM:  Where is this guy going?  I'm assuming attached to a GKT squad, but it isn't even implicit where and how he will be employed.  This may or may not justify the OSL (ie. if you plan to stick him in the LR, why bother?).  Regardless, this guy screams to have rad grenades and dive into CC.

Librarian:  The warding staff and Mastery Level upgrades are pretty much wasted on this guy.  2++ sounds great, but it's only in CC and expensive at that.  With only two powers, is the Mastery upgrade truly necessary?  Sure it may be a nice to have, but necessary?  I wonder about Vortex as well; typically you see Quicksilver and Sanctuary, but it depends where he goes and how you plan to employ him.

Vindicare:  He's golden.

GKT Squads:  Warding staff is really wasted here.  I can't stress how quickly this should be dropped. In addition, why not combine them as one choice and combat squad them on deployment?  It saves on the psybolt ammo upgrade and doesn't really affect the upgrades you've chosen.

GKSS:  Again, the warding staff.  ;)  Otherwise, how will they be deployed and employed?  If you plan on fixing a combat squad with psycannons on your home or nearby objective, dropping three of the halberds may save you some points; they would likely be in cover anyway (not a critical issue).

Interceptors:  A good unit, but seemingly over-upgraded, if that's a term.  These guys are likely chasing down light vehicles, small mobile squads or deep into enemy deployment zones.  Whatever way, they could use either some psycannon or incincerator upgrading to provide some additional firepower and threaten more than dismounted infantry or hordes.  Nothing better than a final shunt to an enemy objective and hit them with an incincerator template.

Dreadnaught:  Good to go.

LRC:  Why the stablilization field without a Librarian with Summoning?  The LRC also loses the defensive hurricane bolters with the psybolt upgrade, but I've played with this upgrade on an LRC before and it's pretty golden.  Why not the MM upgrade instead of stabilization?

By dropping the staves, level 3, OSR, combining GKTs to save on psybolt upgrades, dropping 3 GKSS halberd upgrades, switching the falchions for a single incinerator, giving rad grenades to the GKGM, there's another 200+ points to spend.  You've just added a Storm Raven for even more mobility or another unit to the mix.

;francois

;f.desrochers

Offline 0verKill_235

• Greasing tank treads with xeno filth since 2005.
« Reply #4 on: July 8, 2011, 06:55:40 PM »
Thank you very much for the input guys. I made changes to the critiques given and swapped the LR with a Storm Raven and added a rhino to the Strike squad. The Grand Master has been equpied with rad and psychotroke grenades. Librarian has new powers.
Death before Dismount!

Offline f.desrochers

• Wraithlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: July 8, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
Perhaps this may work better:

GKGM (215 poitns): MC, halberd, rad and psykotroke grenades (Note: psykotroke may be overkill but they're good for a laugh)

Librarian (175 points): t-homer, Quicksilver, Sanctuary (Note: dropped the warding staff and the mastery level; what power you choose are relatively arbitrary as they come at the same price, but I still wonder why Vortex and Might?)

Vindicare (14x)

GKT x 10 (460 points): psycannon, incinerator, psybolt ammo, halberds x 7, DH x 1 (Note: dropped the staff, saved on a psybolt upgrade, all else remains the same, divinding as per combat squad ability)

GKSS x 10 (285 points): psycannons x 2, halberds x 7, psybolt ammo (Note: you have either/or psycannon or halberds, not both; removed the staff)

GK Interceptors x 5 (160 points): incinerator x 1, DH x 1 (dropped the falchions due to expense and limited role, added the incinerator for improved firepower)

GK Dread (135 points): autocannons x 2, psybolt ammo

LRC (265): psybolt ammo, MM

Doing the math, I've got a 1840 point list!  That still leaves 160 points to play with; another dreadnaught and the banner for the GKT unit, allowing the combat squad with the GKGM to auto-pass their force weapon test.  I can't reiterate enough how the staves will likely become wasted points, but try them out a few times to see how they work.  In the long run, I'm willing to bet we'll not see them used.  Just a few points on trimming down the list.  Now if the GKGM rolls well enough on Grand Strategy, you have three to four units (assuming two dreads, Vindicare and Interceptors).

;francois
;f.desrochers

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
« Reply #6 on: July 9, 2011, 03:12:50 AM »
I like francois's list above, your changed one is certainly better than the first but is still throwing away to many points on subpar and expensive upgrades like the halberds on strike squad and falcions on interceptors.
Both those weapons are great on terminators or purifiers who are good in combat and pay far less for the upgrade but paying that higher price to upgrade a guy with a single attack is just too steep.
With the combat squading of the terminators, all it does is save you points and give you increased tactical flexability there's no bad. In KP games keep them together, sometime split the heavy weapons sometimes group them together and both halves get effected by the grand strategy before they split.

Where I disagree with with the above list is on the libby. I prefer a few more powers on mine, usually I buy around 4-5 powers because they are so good and so cheap and give you more options. Keep him at level two the mastery upgrade is expensive and vortex is a really dangerous power to use when you don't have a stormshield to protect you from the backfire, if you want a shooty power then go for warprift.

Warding stave - I agree that they have no place on standard troops where they cost the same as the dude holding them but I think they are worth it on the librarian. I'm assuming he's traveling with a unit of terminators, if so it's unlikely they will all die to shooting and should get to CC. In CC I find that there are so many power fist/klaws around in standard squads that my libby's without protection gets insta gribbed pretty quick.
It maybe that I play alot of marines, chaos marines and orks and if your playgroup has more tau/guard/eldar then the stave maybe a bit of a waste but for it's points I find it worth it to protect an important model that cost around 200pts.

As we've all said its a really solid base list that you've got it just needs a bit of tweeking to get the most out of it.
« Last Edit: July 9, 2011, 03:15:52 AM by WisdomLS »