News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Idea for future army I may start  (Read 636 times)

Offline -=Abyss=-

• ~Holding Heaven in your Arms..~
New Idea for future army I may start
« on: January 21, 2005, 01:05:27 AM »
The Lost

Got the idea from reading "Dead Sky,Black Sun" and I want to start a Renegade marine army, so I ahve a few questions First which units would be unfluffly to take? Also are Chaos vehicles unlootable beacause they are far to tainted to be used. Also what vehicles would I be limited too. One more, would it be plausible to mix Chaos parts with marines and also have some marines wearing pre-herasy armour to show how long they were outcasted.
Index Astartes Litanies Verse 1:13: TO ME MY BROTHERS!

Offline Gladewalker

• Commissar
  • XO, 38th Infantry Division
Re: New Idea for future army I may start
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 04:18:55 AM »
I know that there are certain rites that can be done to purify a tainted vehicle, banishing its corrupted machine spirit. I haven't read the book (a friend snatched it to read while I started the Blood Ravens one) Pre-heresy armor would be cool. Are you using CSM rules/selections or Loyalist? I do know that there a couple things to consider if they're a long long-outcast chapter. First, they won't have all the new technology (plasma rifle, speeder, whirlwind are all relatively new from the post-heresy period according to the fluff)
Also, a lost "Chapter" from before would be massive. It wouldn't be the same size as a modern smaller chapter.

We'll be there when the morning comes!
Screw their minds up with our guns!
We're the last thing they will see!
We're the 98th Reserve Cadian Infantry!

Offline -=Abyss=-

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 06:08:10 PM »
What about salvaging from other units? also may chapter is a rag tag band of outcasted marines, using loyalist rules, they will not turn to Chaos and are trieng to find a way to regan redemption. Also would it be plausible for a abbandoned maairne with a plasma cannon?

Offline Sergeant Neyac

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 02:57:35 AM »
Units that would probably be ufluffy would be any vehicle (including bikes & Dreadnaughts)  as it would be kind of hard for any of these units to exactly run away from their Chapter without being noticed. Also things such as Terminators & Scouts should be either not present at all or at least be very few in number - Jump Pack models should also probably be limited as they too would be kind of hard to 'disappear' with. Also Chaplains probably would not be present & Commanders & Librarians limited to the 1st level ones as the 2nd level ones are far too old/loyal to defect.

I think that they should definately not have any Chaos vehciles as they would not know the necessary rites to purify them, it would be kind of hard to capture them in the frst place & also the renegades would have no use for them as they are too large to hide & don't suit lightning raids - when in Dead Sky, Black Sun do the renegades make a full out assault that would facilitate tanks?

Mixing Choas parts would most definately be ok - check out 13th Co. Wolves, and pre-heresy armour may be ok but as that was 10,000 years ago I think that even if Marines were outcast then - they would not be alive now & the renegades would not be able to take their armour & use it as their own.
The only justifiable risk is one that can do more harm to the enemy then it can to you. All risks must be calculated in your favour. Otherwise, you are fighting for the enemy! - Tactica Imperium

Offline -=Abyss=-

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005, 05:56:16 AM »
The Army is a mix of loyal marines that are outcasted seeking to redem themselves, read "Dead Sky Black Sun" That is the type of warband IM oging for, also I read in it a BLood Raven's Libirian was outcasted. So barely any vehicles, not bikes, limited Jumppacks, no dreadnuaghts, go light on wargear for Hero?

Offline Sergeant Neyac

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 07:02:21 AM »
I know what yu are talking about as I play 4th Company Ultramarines so have definately read that book a couple of times. The Librarian should (as I said earlier) be only a Codicier though but otherwise he should be ok. Another thing that I suggest, wargear wise, is that you include no relics/artifacts (ie. Iron Halo, etc) in the army as I doubt any of these items would have been on individuals who have turned renegade. Other then this addition what you just listed is pretty much what I think but I'd change the 'barely any vehicles' to NO vehicles at all as I think it would suit better. Also if you are taking traits then I suggest ones such as:

1) No Mercy, No Respite - the warriors are trying to overcome their enemies as quickly as possible & are therefore more ferocious in Assault
2) See but don't be Seen - they fight using geurilla (sp?) tactics and so can get close to the enemy without them knowing.
3) Flesh over Steel - no vehicles and this is the best trait-based way to limit them, really they should adhere to all the Major Disadvantages but make them a little strickter - ie. no Land Speeders instead of 0-1
4) We Stand Alone - kinda speaks for itself really but there is really no way that these guys can possibly get allies anyway.

Hope this helps.
The only justifiable risk is one that can do more harm to the enemy then it can to you. All risks must be calculated in your favour. Otherwise, you are fighting for the enemy! - Tactica Imperium