News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Fluffy 1500 GK list- will be fighting new necrons soon  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Brother Arkos

• Grand Master of the Ravenwing
  • Armies: Dark Angels
Fluffy 1500 GK list- will be fighting new necrons soon
« on: November 3, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »
Hey guys,  I created a fluffy 1500 pts GK army that I believe will still be quite viable in general, but also potentially able to handle the new Necron army that my friend will be employing soon. I have a feeling I will need to rely on invulnerable saves and cover saves because the new necrons have a lot of high str low ap weapons at their disposal.  I'm also considering maybe finding some points for an empyrean brain mine along with psychotroke grenades to take advantage of the fact that necrons have an army wide Int of 2.  I also wish I could fit in psybolt ammo on my troop squads because all necrons are T4 or T5 (c'tan T7), and it would be a good investment.  What do you think of the list? 

---HQ---  The most Iconic character of the GKs, I think he provides a huge amount of utility to the army and is a strong central CC element as well.

Grand Master - 215
Rad, Psychotroke grenades
Servo skull x2

---Elite--- the fluffiest body guard to a GM is the honor bound paladins that are in his service. Three of them suffice as they'll be riding in a LR with the GM, and I feel there would not be many paladins in any one engagement due to their rigorous quests to attain this rank. 

3 Paladins - 165 pts
1 with halberd
1 with sword
1 with daemon hammer

---Troops--- GKs have access to large amount of TDA, so my goal was 50% or more of my troop pts comprise of terminators.  GKSS are also important on the battle line, as they provide a nice anti-deepstrike bubble and long range support. 

10 Terminators - 450 pts
5 halberds, 3 swords, 2 hammers
2 psycannons

10 GKSS - 270 pts
1 daemon hammer on Justicar
2 psycannons
rhino

---Heavy Support--- Dreadnoughts are rare in the GKs, so I never want more than one in my lists, too bad I don't have the points to make it venerable to get that extra rare feeling.  The land raider will be essential to absorbing high strength shots to protect the rest of the army and to add additional long range AA, then even stronger up close AA with the pintle MM.

Land raider with pintle MM - 265 pts

Dreadnought - 135 pts
2x autocannon
psybolts

« Last Edit: November 5, 2011, 02:26:55 PM by Roma89 »

Offline popsical

• BANNED: Now I can't pretend to ragequit
  • Mass debating: a filthy group affair!
Re: Fluffy 1500 GK list- will be fighting new necrons soon
« Reply #1 on: November 5, 2011, 03:58:48 AM »
Its nice to see a varied, non spam list. The "fluffy" comment is irrelevent tho, as everyone likes to think their list is "fluffy".
Your list is "non spam". Personally i would take a Libby as they are the best unit in the dex IMO, the buffs they give are essential against many enemies.
I would also replace the LR with a storm pigeon as it is far better at delivering the paladins with GM/Libby to where you want them.
Fluff wise a Libby is also good IMO, of all the chapters GK should have a psyker of serious power.
Good luck
These are my thoughts and opinions.
I am no more right or wrong than you or any other.
I reserve the right to agree/disagree with anything i please, as do you.
Forums are an arena to exchange ideas, not brow beat and shout down others.
Miss-interpretation of posts is common.

Offline Brother Arkos

« Reply #2 on: November 5, 2011, 11:30:18 AM »
First, thank you for your post.  I thank you again for mentioning its a varied list, as I find "spamy" lists absolutely boring.  As you said, a non spamy GK list is rather fluffy, due to the options of the codex.

I will certainly play test a librarian in place of a GM to get the overall synergy feel down with the list.  Both HQ options can bring a lot of unique utility to the force, the librarian may even give me other upgrade options in my troops, maybe even allow me to fit a 4th paladin in.  I will definitely consider that.

As for the storm pigeon idea, I don't plan on just rushing headlong into a force with a GM and 3 paladins, they'll get overwhelmed and die rather handily.  In fact, I plan to use it as a mobile LoS "terrain" blocker for my force.  Av14 is difficult to take out outside of melta range and thats how I plan to play it.  Instead of me describing what my intentions are for it, I found a good article that demonstrates its other uses. Rather interesting read.

http://www.3plusplus.net/2011/10/guest-article-using-landraiders-in-5th.html

« Last Edit: November 5, 2011, 01:48:28 PM by Roma89 »

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #3 on: November 8, 2011, 03:58:09 AM »
You...you're.....it's a grey knight army based on the background not on how much you can abuse Matt Ward's broken rules!

I don't understand!

Is that allowed?!?!?

...Anywayyy.

The list looks good.

If you wanted to venerabalize (is that a word?) the Dreadnought (I agree, it feels right; GK dislike the idea of dreads so only extra awesome we-can't-afford-to-just-let-you-die heroes get them, even compared to regular chapters), then you could drop the strike squad's rhino and some assorted niff-naff and trivia like the servo skulls. Strike squads usually teleport into postion anyway, or are teleported in in advance (read: deployed normally on your home objective).

I'm also considering maybe finding some points for an empyrean brain mine along with psychotroke grenades to take advantage of the fact that necrons have an army wide Int of 2.
In all honesty, if you're in an assault with necrons with grey knights, you're already 90% of the way there. Brain mines are good as you can disable lords or overlords with them, I wouldn't bother with psychotrokes so much.

Psybolt ammo for the guys won't matter that much; aside from vehicles, no necron model is immune to common bolter fire anymore; if it really worries you, take the "reroll '1's to wound" grand strategy on the 10-man units.

Big warning: be very, very careful with the land raider. As long as it's going full tilt, it's pretty safe, but scarabs will eat it scarily quickly - if it's stationary, a minimum sized swarm of three bases will drop it to front armour 7 in a single assault phase. Could be an issue if you want to hold back with it. For that matter, gauss weaponry generally likes land raiders. Where your opponent's rules ignore you AV, you've got problems.

Fluff wise a Libby is also good IMO, of all the chapters GK should have a psyker of serious power.
Never really felt so; all grey knights are psykers because they only recruit psykers, but there's no particular reason why their best is that much better than (for example) the Blood Raven's best.
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline Brother Arkos

« Reply #4 on: November 8, 2011, 12:35:06 PM »
Haha, thanks for the compliment on list!  I was actually starting to consider adding in a Librarian over a GM for a few reasons.

Warprift -  those scarabs are scary as hell I tell you after reading the codex.  Warprift should allow me to suck a few swarms easily out of the game because of their Int before they manage a ton of damage to my armor/armor saves. 

Shrouding - this power combined with the Libby in a land raider will extend the aura effect quite effectively, giving me increased cover saves against all the high str low ap weaps they have.

Then the standard other powers like MoT and hammerhand will add nice strength bonuses to the supporting squad while they activate force weapons, etc.

Psybolt ammo for the guys won't matter that much; aside from vehicles, no necron model is immune to common bolter fire anymore; if it really worries you, take the "reroll '1's to wound" grand strategy on the 10-man units.

True, I just felt like it would be better to wound on 3s and 4s, rather than 4s and 5s with my bolter fire.

If you wanted to venerabalize (is that a word?) the Dreadnought (I agree, it feels right; GK dislike the idea of dreads so only extra awesome we-can't-afford-to-just-let-you-die heroes get them, even compared to regular chapters), then you could drop the strike squad's rhino and some assorted niff-naff and trivia like the servo skulls. Strike squads usually teleport into postion anyway, or are teleported in in advance (read: deployed normally on your home objective).

I thought about dropping the  rhino, but I feel i would need a few servo-skulls around to prevent my boys in steel from going too far off course.  It always irked me to have such super warriors trained for centuries die to something silly like teleporting into a rock.  As a side note, I have another rule for my armies that no troop or HQ goes into battle without a helmet, that's just silly not to protect your major weakness.

I have drawn up a slightly varied list:

---HQ---                                                                               

Grand Master - 195                                                                         
Rad grenades                                                                                   
Servo skull x1                                                                                   

---Elite---

4 Paladins - 225 pts                                                                         
1 with halberd
1 with MC halberd                                                                                 
1 with sword
1 with daemon hammer

---Troops---

10 Terminators - 450 pts                                                                           
2 psycannons

10 GKSS - 230 pts                                                                                       
2 psycannons

---Heavy Support---

Dreadnought - 135 pts
2x autocannon
psybolts

-----OR-----  I like both lists, I like the 4th paladin filling up my land raider and adding extra CC punch to the unit.  But on the flip side, a GM and 3 paladins are still formidable, so it may be better to make sure the only 2 vehicles on the field are extra durable.

---HQ---                                                                               

Grand Master - 195                                                                         
Rad grenades                                                                                   
Servo skull x1                                                                                   

---Elite---

3 Paladins - 165 pts                                                                         
1 with halberd                                                                                 
1 with sword
1 with daemon hammer

Venerable Dreadnought - 195 pts
2x autocannon
psybolts

---Troops---

10 Terminators - 450 pts                                                                           
2 psycannons

10 GKSS - 230 pts                                                                                       
2 psycannons

---Heavy Support---

« Last Edit: November 8, 2011, 12:40:47 PM by Roma89 »

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 02:36:35 PM »
As a side note, I have another rule for my armies that no troop or HQ goes into battle without a helmet, that's just silly not to protect your major weakness.

For power armour I concur - for terminator plate, there used to be something called a "skull field" - effectively a forcefield helm in the collar - allowing you to go helmetless without compromising protection.
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline Brother Arkos

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 11:37:15 PM »
For power armour I concur - for terminator plate, there used to be something called a "skull field" - effectively a forcefield helm in the collar - allowing you to go helmetless without compromising protection.

Fine, fine...I just hate painting faces, I can do it, its just difficult to it well.  I also like faceless heroes, cause they're going to die at some point! - don't want to get attached.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 11:39:50 PM by Roma89 »

Offline Grand Master Rex Nihilo

• Victory is one part planning and nine parts Faith
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 11:45:24 PM »

As a side note, I have another rule for my armies that no troop or HQ goes into battle without a helmet, that's just silly not to protect your major weakness.

I agree NO one in my army has a PA or TA w/o a Helmet, as a former health and safety rep. I just can do it!

... plus I too hate painting skin, hair etc.!

7000 points of Grey Knights
6000 points of Fire Drakes Space Marines

Offline Brother Arkos

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 12:10:13 AM »
I agree NO one in my army has a PA or TA w/o a Helmet, as a former health and safety rep. I just can do it!

Haha no way!  I'm a public health grad student, I'm all about primary prevention when it comes to getting shot at!

Offline dnanoodle

• Rollin' 2d6 Deep
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 10:49:06 PM »
If you have 4 Paladins, it might be worthwhile to try and find 95 points to add one more body and two Psycannons.  I know that's quite a bit, but I think their shooting would be so much better it for it.

If you can't find the points or just don't like this option, I like the second list more.  I think venerable for the Dread would contribute more to the battle than one guy since the GM ad other 3 are going to dominate in CC against 'Crons anyway.
"We didn't land on the The Eye of Terror, The Eye of Terror landed on us!"

Have a look at my blog, Rollin' 2d6 Deep for
articles on gaming, modeling, painting, supplies, fiction and more

Offline Brother Arkos

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 05:56:03 PM »
If you have 4 Paladins, it might be worthwhile to try and find 95 points to add one more body and two Psycannons.  I know that's quite a bit, but I think their shooting would be so much better it for it.

I like the idea, it's just I would need to replace the GM with a brotherhood champion, and I've never used him before, let alone not sure of his usefulness.  Also..he has that 1 wound, ack.

Offline dnanoodle

• Rollin' 2d6 Deep
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 06:55:24 PM »
When I made that suggestion I didn't really see a great place to find points, but now that you mention it your army doesn't absolutely need the GM skills.  You could replace the GM with an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor.  I'd give him grenades and a power weapon and leave it at that.  Then I'd start shopping around for a few upgrades because you'll have some left-over points.

But I also see that you want to run a fluffy list and I don't know enough about the fluff to determine whether an Inquisitor might lead a whole army of GKs.  I was just trying to budget your Paladins hehe.

Offline Brother Arkos

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 08:36:26 PM »
You could replace the GM with an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor.  I'd give him grenades and a power weapon and leave it at that.  Then I'd start shopping around for a few upgrades because you'll have some left-over points.

But I also see that you want to run a fluffy list and I don't know enough about the fluff to determine whether an Inquisitor might lead a whole army of GKs.  I was just trying to budget your Paladins hehe.

Those damn paladins always messing things up! haha. 

It is fluffy to have a joint operation of Grey Knights with an Inquisitor that has requested aid.  This is a list that I came up with...yeap, it has SEVEN psycannons (pretty good for a non spammy list) in it at 1500 pts, not to mention a dreadnought and land raider for more AT goodness.

HQ - Ordo Malleus Inquisitor - TDA, Daemon hammer, psycannon, 3 servo skulls (89 pts)
Elite - 5 paladins, 1 with halberd/psycannon, 1 halberd, 1 sword/psycannon, 1 sword, 1  MC hammer (320 pts)
Troops - 10 Terminators - 2 psycannons, 5 halberds, 3 swords, 2 hammers (450 pts)
Troops - 10 GKSS - 2 psycannons and 1 MC hammer (235 pts)
Heavy Support - Dreadnought - 2x autocannon, psybolts (135 pts)
Heavy Support - Land Raider - Pintle MM, psybolts (for the hell of it) (270 pts)
1499 pts total, 28 models

Thanks dnanoodle, I appreciate your input. I didn't really consider this route until you mentioned inquisitors.  Really all these changes are "remove a guy here for so and so" or "add 2 guys here and put in this," essentially very small changes model wise so I'm planning on buying another box of terminators to custom make a GM, librarian, and an inquisitor to change it up as I feel!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 09:02:32 PM by Roma89 »

Offline dnanoodle

• Rollin' 2d6 Deep
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 11:48:29 PM »
No problem, man.  I have a lot of free time to think about my Paladins at work and I end up just shuffling models around in my head.  They're so expensive it can be hard to find points for other things.  Taking regular Inquisitors was something I only considered recently.  Initially I was just starting with Draigo and a Libby and moving from there.  Doing that I had no space for other units that could support or provide utility.

Offline Brother Arkos

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 01:43:41 PM »
No problem, man.  I have a lot of free time to think about my Paladins at work and I end up just shuffling models around in my head.  They're so expensive it can be hard to find points for other things.  Taking regular Inquisitors was something I only considered recently.  Initially I was just starting with Draigo and a Libby and moving from there.  Doing that I had no space for other units that could support or provide utility.

I agree.  The inquisitor is pretty much just a multi-wound relentless psycannon, which is nice, but doesn't add a lot of utility.  I'll add the GM or a Librarian back in if I do any 1750 pt games, but for 1500 this should be more than fine.

I did manage to fit most of what I wanted into this point range with few sacrifices, which is difficult to manage in our codex.