News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Manta Strike within 1" Using Tau Homing Beacon  (Read 3746 times)

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Manta Strike within 1" Using Tau Homing Beacon
« on: January 17, 2018, 04:25:35 PM »
Tau Stealth Battlesuits have the ability to take a Homing Beacon, which lets a unit coming in via Manta Strike ignore the usual range limitations of Manta Strike.

If a Stealth team ran right up to an enemy, and laid down a Homing Beacon very close, could a unit coming in via Manta Strike come in within 1 inch of an enemy? This would mean the Manta Striking unit would be in assault of course, which would be a bad idea 99% of the time since it wouldn't be able to shoot, but I'm just wondering if it's possible.

Thanks!
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: Manta Strike within 1" Using Tau Homing Beacon
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 04:47:39 PM »
Page 177 of the BRB under Enemy Models, further reinforced by page 182 under Make Charge Moves by specifying that units may not move within an inch of a unit they did not declare a charge against.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Blazinghand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 05:26:56 PM »
Page 177 of the BRB under Enemy Models, further reinforced by page 182 under Make Charge Moves by specifying that units may not move within an inch of a unit they did not declare a charge against.

Yeah, I'm aware of this, but it's also the case that you can deploy within 1" of a unit. For example. Let's say a unit deploys outside it's deployment zone, like a Stealth team, right up against the edge of your deployment zone. Then, next, you deploy your unit of Howling Banshees within 1" of the Stealth team, right up against the inside of your deployment zone. This, for example, is allowed. Manta Strike, as "Setting up from reserves" does not follow movement rules since it is not movement, right?

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 06:48:28 PM »
I noticed this in the game I just played. As a unit, instead of deploying in a manta, can deploy Via the Low-altitude drop, and the only restriction, is that you can deploy anywhere within 6" of the marker.

Keep in mind, that the marker is automatically destroyed if it's ever within 9" of an enemy unit, so it might be hard to deploy within 1" of an enemy in this instance, as no enemy can be within 9" of the marker, and the deployed unit has to be within 6" of the marker, and the Stealth Suits have to be outside of 12" of the enemy units when they (and their marker) is deployed.

I can see you deploying within 9" of an enemy pretty easily however.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Blazinghand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 06:54:29 PM »
I noticed this in the game I just played. As a unit, instead of deploying in a manta, can deploy Via the Low-altitude drop, and the only restriction, is that you can deploy anywhere within 6" of the marker.

Keep in mind, that the marker is automatically destroyed if it's ever within 9" of an enemy unit, so it might be hard to deploy within 1" of an enemy in this instance, as no enemy can be within 9" of the marker, and the deployed unit has to be within 6" of the marker, and the Stealth Suits have to be outside of 12" of the enemy units when they (and their marker) is deployed.

I can see you deploying within 9" of an enemy pretty easily however.

Stealth Suits place Tau Homing Beacons during the movement phase, not during deployment. This means that they can easily just run up to an enemy and slam one down right in front of them. The question is, what happens if you place one within 9 inches of an enemy?

The Homing Beacon, as far as I understand, is not destroyed by an enemy being within 9" of an enemy unit, like a Teleport Homer is. Looking at the Index, the rule is that it is destroyed if an enemy model "ends a move within 9" of it" which is very different than a Teleport Homer, which goes away "if an enemy model is ever within 9" of" it. This means that, by my understanding, you can actually lay down a Tau Homing Beacon within 9" of an enemy, and it will stay there until either it is consumed, or probably during his movement phase when a model "ends a move within 9" of it" at which point it is destroyed.

So, As far as I can tell, you can put a Homing Beacon within 9" of an enemy using your Stealth Suits, then use it, without it being destroyed by proximity, because unlike a Teleport Homer it is not proximity that destroys it, but an enemy model ending a move near it.

This would allow for the situation I am describing.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 06:56:22 PM by Blazinghand »

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 07:18:13 PM »
Yeah, that'd work.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria