News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2nd world countries?  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Heatseek3r

2nd world countries?
« on: November 25, 2006, 04:41:21 AM »
Hi. A quick question.

I know what a first world country is.
I know what a third world country is.

But I'm not quite sure of what a second world country would be.
Is there even a second world term?
If yes, is a 2nd world country one of the developing countries(like many a nation in the eastern europe region)?
"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition."

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
Re: 2nd world countries?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 06:35:13 AM »
Typically second world is used to refer to what are also known as NIC- Newly Industrialised Countries, those countries whose economies are booming but which have not yet become a first world country. Examples include China (as in the PRC, not Taiwan), India and Brazil.

That clear things up for you?
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Heatseek3r

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 06:42:03 AM »
I think so. Thanks. :)
"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition."

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 06:44:51 AM »
I was under the impression that First/Second/Third World was a Cold War classification, like so -

First World - the industrialised, capitalist West, i.e. Western Europe, North America, Australia
Second World - the communist bloc, i.e. the Soviet Union, Warsaw Pact countries, China (maybe)
Third World - everyone else

With the disintegration of the communist bloc and the revelation that it wasn't a monolithic entity, the distinctions have blurred somewhat and the term 'Second World' is no longer really useful.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Offline [dixon]

• I pretend to be other users
  • BANNED
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 07:12:15 AM »
First World - the industrialised, capitalist West, i.e. Western Europe, North America, Australia
Second World - the communist bloc, i.e. the Soviet Union, Warsaw Pact countries, China (maybe)
Third World - everyone else

Unless you were looking at it from the soviet point of view, in which you would switch around first and second world.

But yeah, it's not really used today since the dissolution of the Soviet Empire.  Not that it was used all that much before then, though.
I pretended to be other members, and finally got BANNED

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 07:51:05 AM »
Regardless of the term's origins, in economics and demographic geography today it's used as a classifier of economic status.

Offline Captain Hajime

• 1st Regiment Fuji System
    • Captain Hajime's Warhammer Web site
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 11:15:18 PM »
First world: Us
Second World: Them
Third World: not worth caring about.

"Men from different wordls, with different views, bound together by loyality to the Emperor. This is what we have become." Captain Hajime
"I have remembered, I do remember, I will always remember."
Imperial Guard, Space marines and Ork Collector.
First Fuji Regiment W: 0 L:     2 D: 4
Tenno No Samurai W: 1 l: 5 D: 7

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 11:19:31 PM »
Serious definitions only please.

I favour Chuckles' idea there as I have never heard of this Cold War version before.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Mud Man!

• Turn On, Tune In, Drop Out
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 03:27:46 AM »
A first world country is a country allied with the United States against the Soviet Union.

A second world country is a country allied with the Soviet Union against the United States.

A third world country is a country allied with neither.

Second world countries no longer exist. First world countries have just come to mean countries which are highly industrialized. 
Lighten up while you still can,
Don't even try to understand,
Just find a place to make your stand,
And take it easy

"Why should I trade 1 tyrant 3000 miles away for 3000 tyrants 1 mile away?" -Benjamin Martin, The Patriot

Feel free to PM me if you have questions about Austrian economics or Anarcho-Capitalism as a political

• Ancient
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 05:37:19 AM »
So technically there is no such thing as a first, second or third world country then?

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 06:34:08 AM »
we just covered this in geography last weel .  a second world country is an MEDC or an LEDC a more or less economically developed country which i a communist country.  but recently because of the fall of communism and the predominance of a cpaitalist system 2nd world countries are few in number which is why theyre relativly unheard of now.  Korea, Cuba etc are examples of 2nd world countries

• Ancient
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 06:35:14 AM »
Interesting, because I learned a completely different definition in Geography. What year of study is this?

Offline Arun

• BANNED: A list as long as my arm.
  • Abuser
  • ;__; I was a crappy poster, and I got banned.
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 08:24:33 AM »
First World countries: Entire Europe except eastern europe; North America, Taiwan, Japan, Hongkong, Australia, New Zealand (sp?) etc.

Second World countries: Formet Sowjet/Communist states such as China, North Korea etc., but today, not referred to as second world countries anymore since sowjet union fell.

Third World countries: Poor regoins of south america, africa, Central Asia etc. (not sure about India)

Hope that helped :)
I totally quit 40kO 4-eva!
I knew of the rules yet refused to follow them.
I also most likely had a 1/5 of the Brain.

Offline Major. Witham

• Major
  • 'Sound off like you got a pair!'
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 08:39:39 AM »
As far back as the year 2000 when I graduated with my sociology degree, the term '3rd world country' had become somewhat defunct.

3rd world countries are in modern times usually referred to as 'developing countries'.

The term "1st World" refers to countries that are capitalist democracies, that are technologically advanced, and whose citizens have a high standard of living. The United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, and most of the countries of Western Europe are examples of first-world countries.

'2nd world' definitions were largely used to describe the old cold war Eastern Bloc nations. The term has largely fallen out of use because the countries to which it referred mostly abandoned Communism, and their mutual interests, after the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union. The other two terms remain in widespread use.
"Sir! Looks like were surrounded!"

"Were Drop Troops soldier - Were supposed to be surrounded!"

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 10:42:26 AM »
Interesting, because I learned a completely different definition in Geography. What year of study is this?

This is A level study or grade/year 13 however you want to call it

• Ancient
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 11:25:06 AM »
Snap. What exam board are you with?

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2006, 02:13:58 PM »
As far back as the year 2000 when I graduated with my sociology degree, the term '3rd world country' had become somewhat defunct.

3rd world countries are in modern times usually referred to as 'developing countries'.

The term "1st World" refers to countries that are capitalist democracies, that are technologically advanced, and whose citizens have a high standard of living. The United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, and most of the countries of Western Europe are examples of first-world countries.

'2nd world' definitions were largely used to describe the old cold war Eastern Bloc nations. The term has largely fallen out of use because the countries to which it referred mostly abandoned Communism, and their mutual interests, after the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union. The other two terms remain in widespread use.

Dave Witham´s definition is correct. Very nice, almost like from the textbook. This is supposed to be a compliment. :-[
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline Full Metal Geneticist

• Sir Quotesaplenty | No new bastardy suits.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Defender of the Text Wall
    • FMG's Angry Rantings
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2006, 02:19:59 PM »
However in colloquial use the term 2nd world is used to describe countries that lie between the first and third world status as either falling first world countries like russia or rising ones like china, india, brazil... or countries like ex iron curtain countries whose standard of living is comfortable but not "fabulous" like the first world countries so countries like czech republic, austria, poland and others whose standard of living is rising gently towards first world.

Its a old term now used to define economic viability.

It is pernicious nonsense that feeds into a rising wave of irrationality which threatens to overwhelm the hard-won gains of the Enlightenment and the scientific method. We risk as a society slipping back into a state of magical thinking when made-up science passes for rational discourse. I would compare it to witchcraft but honestly that's insulting to witches.

Offline Captain Hajime

• 1st Regiment Fuji System
    • Captain Hajime's Warhammer Web site
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2006, 02:51:52 PM »
So technically there is no such thing as a first, second or third world country then?

Honestly if left with the fall of european base Cominunism and the death of the Cold war. pretty much developed, developing and under-develop are the words today.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 06:54:09 PM by Captain Hajime »
"Men from different wordls, with different views, bound together by loyality to the Emperor. This is what we have become." Captain Hajime
"I have remembered, I do remember, I will always remember."
Imperial Guard, Space marines and Ork Collector.
First Fuji Regiment W: 0 L:     2 D: 4
Tenno No Samurai W: 1 l: 5 D: 7

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2006, 06:03:26 PM »
we just covered this in geography last weel .  a second world country is an MEDC or an LEDC a more or less economically developed country

I'm familiar with the terms MEDC and LEDC (International Baccalaureate Geography course), but neither is relevant to the term 'Second World'. It's an entirely different type of classification.

As I learned it, MEDC and LEDC are the appropriate terms to use, and the First/Second/Third World divide is appropriate colloquially but not anywhere else. Of course, there's a whole bag of politically correct conventions when talking about development... apparently neither 'developing countries' nor 'undeveloped countries' are appropriate because those countries have a rich cultural heritage and the qualifier 'economically' is required to respect that. It's disgusting, but that's the way political correctness is.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.