News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Noob Space wolf list 1000pts.  (Read 743 times)

Offline Shas Oh dear

• When life gives you lemons, PLASMA EVERYTHING!
Noob Space wolf list 1000pts.
« on: July 16, 2011, 12:57:47 AM »
Well, I have pretty much played solely Tau for ages and have decided it's time for a change of pace. In this case change of pace means exact opposite direction but variety keeps things interesting. This is my first attempt at my future space wolf list, I haven't bought anything yet so any changes are doable. All I know is that the spacewolf battleforce will probably form my basis. Army currently looks like this:

HQ:
Rune Priest 110pts
Chooser of the Slain
Living Lightning
Murderous Hurricane
(Will join the iron priest and 8 man grey hunter squad in rhino, living lightning while on the move to take out light vehicles using chooser to up BS to 5)

Elites:
Venerable Dreadnought 190pts
Plasma Cannon
Wolf Tooth necklace
Wolf tail talisman
Drop Pod                         35pts
(Drop the Dread close to enemy front lines using the pod for cover save on the turn it arrives. Hunts Vehicles with close combat weapon and plasma can reliably dent almost anything but is primarily a termi killer. Will also attract lots of fire which venerable should be able to shrug off for a while.)

Lone Wolf 45pts
Terminator Armour
(Deep striking suicide squad)

Iron Priest 75pts
Wolf tooth necklace
Saga of Iron Wolf
(Joins Rune Priest and 8 man grey hunter squad in Rhino. Can repair immobilised results on a 4+ and means rhino can move 13-15" per turn.)

Troops:
8 Grey Hunters 165pts
Power weapon
Melta
MoW
Wolf Standard
Rhino                  35pts
(Join Rune & Iron priests, power weapon and MoW give CC power, wolf standard to be used when it really counts. Melta for opportunistic Vehicle hunting.)

10 Grey Hunters 195pts
2 Melta's
Power Fist
MoW
Rhino                     35pts
(Vehicle hunters but also able to do CC damage.)

5 Long Fangs 115pts
4 Missile Launchers
(Ranged Vehicle hunting duties.)

Total: 1000pts

Ok you guys know the drill, rip it apart and I will see what I can piece back together :)
What's WS got to do with anything?

Offline Joshisawesome

• Armies: Eldar, Black Templars
Re: Noob Space wolf list 1000pts.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 01:16:53 AM »
Hi,
I'm mostly going to comment on some light rule violations you've got going on.
Firstly,
Space Wolf Termis can't deep strike. There's a funny little comment about how they don't trust the Teleportation devices or something, but all in all, Space wolves in Terminator Armour can't deepstrike.
Secondly,
Iron Priests (I'm fairly sure) can't join other squads. This is because, technically, they're squads, not Characters, and squads can't join squads.
This may alter your gameplay somewhat, but hey...
Also,
With the Rune Priest, it may sound cheap, but ever since I defeated an enemy K'tan with one spell, I've never left home without Jaws of the World Wolf. it's amazing for picking off characters and sergeants, and I find it extremely useful.

Hope this helps

Offline darkstar12984

• New member of 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 03:13:34 AM »
hi there,

i'm a long time space wolf player so thought i'd give you a few key peices of advise here.

First all of the above comments are reliable, iron priests are no longer independant characters so can't join other units, our termies never teleport deepstike only pods for the sons of russ, and JotW can somtimes heavily infulence a game.

Now to buisness in 1000 pts you want 1 8man Grey hunter squad with wolfguard in a rhino and 2 5man squads with wolfguard and a razorback this forms your core Troops (adding more rhino squads in bigger games)

your longfangs are perfect for this level at higher points split them to form a 6man 3 missile 2 lascannon (or plasma etc)

the dread is fine but dont drop pod him that way you can utilise his fire power straight off (our dreads ain't great for combat any more unless you take bjorn)

the lone wolf is best left for kill teams and combat patrol as he takes up a full elite chioce for one model.
Use his and the iron priests points for your wolfguard.

Hope these tips help if you want write up another list and i'll take a look at it for you.

Offline Shas Oh dear

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 09:57:51 AM »
Gah, what a moron I am, that will teach me to read through the codex more carefully. Okay with the advice from above taken into account the list looks like this:

HQ:
Rune Priest 110pts
Chooser of the Slain
Living Lightning
Jaws of the World Wolf

Elites:
Plasma Cannon
Wolf Tooth necklace
Wolf tail talisman

Troops:
8 Grey Hunters 201pts
Power weapon
Melta
MoW
Wolf Standard
Wolfguard + Wolf Claw & Storm Bolter

5 Grey Hunters 126pts
Power Weapon
Meltagun
Wolfguard + Power weapon & Storm Bolter
Razorback           40pts

5 Grey Hunters 143pts
Power Fist
Meltagun
Wolfguard + Power weapon, Combi-Melta & Melta-bombs
Razorback          40pts

5 Long Fangs 115pts
4 Missile Launchers

Total: 1000pts

Okay so that is the second draft, let me know what you think.  ;D

Offline darkstar12984

• New member of 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 11:59:59 AM »
Ok here is where we get into fuzzy personal choice area's.

A lot of players belive the power fist+combi-melta is the best kit for wolfguard and i have to admit it works well in rhino squads however on a razor squad i go power weapon+melta bombs as the small squads are more for holding objectives.

Again kit wise are Grey hunters, wolf standard and melta is a must but Motw and power weapons are optional here. I use the Motw but no power weapon a) becuase i like my squads cheap and b) because i have a fantastic 13th company wulfen model but the choice is yours.

Rune priests storm caller can be great to protect your tanks 5+ cover is great but it limits your ability to fire off JotW or LL so again personal choice.

Wolf tail talismans are apparntly not very usefull nowadays so perhaps drop that.

Landspeeders with MM/HF are a usefull addition to our army but could wait till higher points or think about using the dread in higher games.

Thats about all i can suggest right now as i'm nowhere near a codex. Hope i helped.

Offline Jakuzie

• Crux Terminatus | Machina Opus
  • I *FINALLY* Changed this silly thing
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 12:40:34 PM »
TL;DR version: Drop the Dreadnaught. Use some of the points to optimize your Grey Hunter Squads. Spend ~170pts on a better value unit.

Unit By Unit breakdown of the list:
HQ:
Rune Priest 110pts
Chooser of the Slain
Living Lightning
Jaws of the World Wolf

Looks fine.

Elites:
Plasma Cannon
Wolf Tooth necklace
Wolf tail talisman

Too many points for an armor 12 vehicle. He's nearly 1/5 of your total points, and brings very, very little to the table aside from a single plasma cannon (meh) and a mediocre showing in h2h. He lacks the volume of attacks to do much more than tarpit, and anything with good h2h will be able to kill him.

If you want shooting, this could be an entire squad of Long Fangs, or predators, with points left over.
If you want Close Combat, this could nearly be a squad of Thunderwolves.

Troops:
8 Grey Hunters 201pts
Power weapon
Melta
MoW
Wolf Standard
Wolfguard + Wolf Claw & Storm Bolter

Not a big fan of Power Weapons. /shrug.
Also, on the Wolf Guard, no reason to take a storm bolter. 1 more bolter shot isn't worth paying for.
Take a Combi-Melta (extra melta shot is totally worth paying for)
You also might want to consider a Power Fist/Thunder Hammer instead of a Wolf Claw. You're not losing out on any attacks, and at I4, you're going simultaneously/after most real combat units anyway, wounding on 2s is nice. Being able to rip open Rear Armor 10 vehicles is nice. Etc.

5 Grey Hunters 126pts
Power Weapon
Meltagun
Wolfguard + Power weapon & Storm Bolter
Razorback           40pts
Pretty much ditto the above comments. Not a fan of PW. Not a fan of Storm Bolter.
In a small squad like this, you might want to just drop all close-combat upgrades (2x power weapons) and use the saved points to put a real gun on your razorback (LC + TL PG or Assault Cannon)

5 Grey Hunters 143pts
Power Fist
Meltagun
Wolfguard + Power weapon, Combi-Melta & Melta-bombs
Razorback          40pts
Wait, why do these guys have a power fist? As above. Smaller squads don't survive combat well, so you might as well just got Melta + Combi-Melta and upgrade the Razorback.

5 Long Fangs 115pts
4 Missile Launchers

Yes, the Space Wolf Staple...

I would suggest revising the list as follows:

HQ:
Rune Priest w/ Magical Bird (whatever powers suit your fancy. I like cover saves) 110
Elite:
Wolf Guard (in squads, points counted there)
Troops:
8x Grey Hunters (Banner, Meltagun, MotW)                                                            248
Wolf Guard w/ Thunder Hammer, Combi-Melta
Rhino
5x Grey Hunters (Meltagun)                                                                                    178
Wolf Guard w/ Combi Melta
Razorback with Lascannon + Twin-Linked Plasma guns
5x Grey Hunters (Meltagun)                                                                                    178
Wolf Guard w/ Combi Melta
Razorback with Lascannon + Twin-Linked Plasma guns
Fast Attack:

Heavy Support:
5x Longfangs, 4x Missile Launchers                                                                        115

Either,
Shooty/Mech Option:
Predator w/ Heavy Bolter Sponsons                                                                         85
Predator w/ Heavy Bolter Sponsons                                                                         85
Or,
WAAAAGH/Close Combat option:
(Drop Large Grey Hunter squad's Wolf Guard ThunderHammer to a PowerFist)       -5
3x Thunderwolves, 1x Power Fist                                                                           175

999pt List either way.
The predators add some extra Dakka and Armor 13-fronts that you can use to screen your lighter Razorbacks. With a Rune Priest nearby casting Cover-saves, your armor wall will be quite durable and, with the Missile Launchers, should be able to take out (most) light-mech armies you'll see at this point level. Though Grey Knight Henchmen spam could be problematic (6-8 Razorbacks T.T)

Alternatively, the Thunderwolves give you a "hammer" unit (well, for 1k points anyway, they're a little light) with a 24" Threat Range to help you control the field and digest any pesky units that might otherwise be too much for your Grey Hunters to handle.

Offline Shas Oh dear

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 02:02:42 PM »
I've taken into account the feedback I have received and have made a few slight changes which have resulted in this:

HQ:
Rune Priest 110pts
Chooser of the Slain
Living Lightning
Jaws of the World Wolf

Elites:
Venerable Dreadnought 185pts
Plasma Cannon
Wolf Tooth necklace

Troops:
8 Grey Hunters 198pts
Melta
MoW
Wolf Standard
Wolfguard + Thunder Hammer & Combi-melta

5 Grey Hunters 103pts
Meltagun
Wolfguard + Combi-Melta
Razorback + LC & TL-PC's 75pts

5 Grey Hunters 103pts
Meltagun
Wolfguard + Combi-Melta
Razorback + LC & TL-PC 75pts

5 Long Fangs 115pts
4 Missile Launchers

Total: 999pts

I think this is much more efficient than before, I have chosen to keep the dread partly because I have a soft spot for them and partly because I want something to set my list slightly apart from all the other clones out there. It may not be the most points efficient but as a bullet sink and CC tar pit the Dread is extremely valuable but on top of all that can actually do damage if used properly. Thanks for the help guys, I am going to start figuring out the best places to buy this stuff from. Much appreciated. :)