News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: template weapons vs squad shooting rules  (Read 624 times)

Offline IofDoom

• This is my Cheese Cannon, and I will Swiss you!
template weapons vs squad shooting rules
« on: August 17, 2009, 06:45:09 PM »
when firing a template wep, can i have it go over members of my own squad, the template rules say no friendly's can be placed under it, but the squad shooting rules say squad members are ignored for shooting. which takes precedent?
Special Wargear Option: Kegger assault launchers - 69 pts

24" S1, AP 2 : Heavy 1, Large Blast, Poisoned 2+, Pinning*

*hits from this weapon do not cause actual wounds, each unsaved "wound" caused decreases the leadership check against the pinning check by -1, if the unit fails the pinning check, they become drunk and cannot do anything until the end of there next turn when they sober up, units "gone to ground" still receive there +1 cover save (Drunken stumbling)

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
Re: template weapons vs squad shooting rules
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 06:48:07 PM »
The rule that says no friendlies can be under the template. Squad members are ignored for LOS reasons.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 07:32:19 PM »
The rule is designed so you can't intentionally place the template so if a hit is scored it will land on your guys.  Now if it scatters onto your own guys that is a different story.   
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline HiveFleetEzekial

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 07:45:18 PM »
'Templates' don't scatter, Olli.   Blast Markers do, to which the OP is not refering to (although it still applies :) ).

OP, members of the same squad are ignored.. for LOS and cover save purposes only, not just ignored completly.  So, you still must be able to place the Template without touching any other friendly models, including the guy's own squad-mates.   

This is why guys with such kinds of weapons (even in real life) are generally up in the front, so they don't hit their friends, and to compensate for their shorter range.   
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 07:47:54 PM by HiveFleetEzekial »

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 08:25:11 PM »
ehh.  we call them blast templates here.
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline g3nius_monkey

• Flamer: my ways are higher than man : Educated AND Ignorant!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 08:25:47 PM »
I've been burned by this rule more than a couple times, by either having my librarian/flamer all the way in the back of a unit, or by setting down my Epistolary in the middle of a deep strike.

This also limits the effectiveness of a large number of flamers in a single unit (command squad with flamerx4, sternguard with combi-flamers, etc). In standard "glob" formation, you'll only be able to fire with maybe three or four.
"Do not be afraid to lose. Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement. Everybody starts new."

-HoN Game Hint

Offline HiveFleetEzekial

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 03:26:00 AM »
ehh.  we call them blast templates here.

Alot of people do. And, that's where alot of their own confusion regarding the difference between the two comes from. 

Offline IofDoom

• This is my Cheese Cannon, and I will Swiss you!
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 02:07:16 PM »
thanks for the clerification. now i just gotta remember to put the flamer guys in the front
Special Wargear Option: Kegger assault launchers - 69 pts

24" S1, AP 2 : Heavy 1, Large Blast, Poisoned 2+, Pinning*

*hits from this weapon do not cause actual wounds, each unsaved "wound" caused decreases the leadership check against the pinning check by -1, if the unit fails the pinning check, they become drunk and cannot do anything until the end of there next turn when they sober up, units "gone to ground" still receive there +1 cover save (Drunken stumbling)