News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Mech Tau. Some guidelines?  (Read 1006 times)

Offline .:Darkness:.

• Zombie Jesus is notoriously hard to put down.
Mech Tau. Some guidelines?
« on: March 10, 2007, 03:58:32 AM »
Im looking to start mech tau and i have one squad of fire warriors so far. What should i get next? Also what should i be aiming at tactics wise? Mounting all the fire warriors in fish's and get them into rapid fire range?

Im thinking 2 devil fish's both transporting a squad of 12 fre warriors with pulse rifles, two more squads of pulse rifle fire warriors, 2 hammer heads with rail guns, one squad of broadsides, crisis suits all armed with burst cannon, plasma rifle.

Does that seem good? I know there are still alotta things to do with the list, maybe some piranas with fusion blasters to flank enemies and take out tanks from rear or blast some terminator equivalent troops.

(Also i dont know what i can do point wise as i dont have a codex, although i do have a decent understanding of weapons and wargear. Just not a good idea of point costs.)
“Why did I have to get the imperial guardsmen, you don’t even have any good weapons or features”
“I do so” I said defensively. “I’ve got my lasgun and my trusty bayonet”
“What a gun that will give the other contestants cancer in ten years, or at worst will make them squint. Then you have a blade that’s more suited to opening cans and to top it all off, your covered in cardboard for armour.”

Offline Granite Slam

• Fio'el Tautica - I See Stupid People...So Many Stupid People...
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Coolest. Dude. Ever.
Re: Mech Tau. Some guidelines?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 04:17:37 AM »
   Obviously the first thing to get next is the codex! If you can swing the money then the mega-force box set will be a good by since you will probably be wanting to use everything apart from the Kroot which can then be sold on ebay to make it a better deal. What sort of point limit are you aiming at and are you wanting a strictly mechanised force or something approaching a mixed force?

Tactic wise it will depend upon what units you end up including, using fusion equipped Piranhas as tank hunters will need you to send a pair out or to support them with marker lights. What can work well is to stick seeker missiles onto the piranhas and send them 24" down the flanks to get in behind the enemy and preferably behind terrain. Then light up a vehicle with a markerlight and launch a seeker missile from the Piranha into the arse of that vehicle. Your opponent then either needs to move back and to the edge of the board to deal with the Piranha (which is only worth a relatively low point cost) meaning that their unit will then be out of position or to ignore the Piranha until it makes itself an easy target, if they do this then they risk you hopping from cover to cover unleashing seeker missiles.
   With the foot slogging fire warriors and broadside suits you also have the option of heading down the traditional hybrid force route by placing all three together to form an anchor around which the mobile elements of your force can operate. By placing the three units on a relatively open flank you will have a core force that can deal with infantry or vehicles, because of the broadsides your opponent is likely to try for them anyway in preference to the Railheads that will probably be SMF and/or obscured by terrain thinking to quickly reduce your Railgunnage. At this point you can swing around and smash whatever is stupid enough to step out into sight of the Broadsides. (This also marks the broadsides/firewarriors as a lure meaning that you are looking at performing a Kauyon which could influence your army selection).

Basically, at this stage of the game your options are pretty open. You've stated a preference for a Mechanised force but seem happy to include non-mechanised units and as you don't own much you can plan the army and make purchases to support that plan rather than planning the army around the units you own.

-S
I reserve the right to end any discussion with a big stick.

Quote from: Rummy
Dark Eldar - better than everyone be-atch! The only reason the Dark Eldar haven't toppled the Imperium is that Terra doesn't have valet parking.

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 06:22:47 AM »
I have made a decision to go all mechanized with maybe two fish's loaded up with fire warrios using the fish tactics and another squad of fire warriors on foot i can use for what ever comes up, if nothing comes up il use them as bait to try and drive out enemy close combat squads where i can then blast them with a trap. I am pretty certain that i do not want a hybrid force, my mind is set on mechanized.

So help on building a Mechanized tau force with no kroot or vespid non-sence  ;) would be greatly welcomed.
“Why did I have to get the imperial guardsmen, you don’t even have any good weapons or features”
“What a gun that will give the other contestants cancer in ten years, or at worst will make them squint. Then you have a blade that’s more suited to opening cans and to top it all off, your covered in cardboard for armour.”

Offline int main()

• Crouching Broadside,Hidden Stealthsuit
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 10:11:31 AM »
Arguably including Broadsides means you are playing Hybrid,as Broadsides do not move 12''.If you really want pure Mech then it's any combination of 3 Hammerheads and/or Skyrays.

That said,Broadsides make a good anchor for your forces,as well as good bait(tough to kill as well if given Shield Drones and placed in hard cover).ASSes are the premier support system choice when using them.I do run a lone Pirahna in my pure mech list.It is more of an irritation/mobile terrain piece than anything else since I only remember getting into range of a tank with it once(it popped an Exorcist upon which the SoB player immediately went 'KILL THAT SPEEDER!'),but that's 1 less antitank shot going at my Hammerheads.Don't be afriad to lose them,cause you probably will.
Burn the Sister of Battle.
Kill the Space Marine.
Purge the Grey Knight.
Destroy the Imperium.
Let the Galaxy burn!

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 10:17:48 AM »
Well i have posted up a list at this link
http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=133278.0

Could all comments, help ect ect go to that thread please.

Thanks