News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Chronicles of the Brush: For the Greater Good  (Read 119640 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Myen'Tal's Conclave! (Allopex #2 Finished!!!)
« Reply #260 on: June 8, 2019, 09:10:08 PM »
Desk Prep!

So, I've ordered some of the new Air Paints, mainly the new metallic that are available now. I also ordered some of the Clear Paints... Eidolon Purple, Calth Blue, Angron Red. I hear they go over opaque, but change the tint of the color beneath to something different. I think it'll go good over a metallic color, but if anyone has any advice, let me know!

So, the store that I have a $100 credit with after trading in my Namarti and some other stuff... has had a delay in their pre-order to Monday. I'm going to try to order the entire Contrast range plus some new base paints and layers too. We'll see how that goes.

On another note, I need some help. So, my airbrush, a Badger Vega 1500, cannot attach to the air hose that I bought because the airbrush connector is slightly too big and I think perhaps the wrong thread. The 1/8 connection on the airbrush screws into the compressor without issue. But I cannot for the life of me figure out what kind of connector I need to attach the airbrush to the hose.

I believe I found what I'm looking for! Disregard this scribbled out message!

If anyone can lend any advice, I'd appreciate it!

Daughters of Khaine Scheme:

I'm still trying to figure this one out... so hear me out! I'm thinking about pallid skin tone, royal purple / sunburst yellow clothes and alternating the two colors between the main hair color and the streaks that will go on there.

Purple: Shyish Purple Contrast -> Kakaphoni Purple or Xerus Purple
Yellow: Iyanden Yellow Contrast -> Flash Gitz Yellow or Yriel Yellow -> Sigismund Yellow

What do you guys think?

Sylvaneth:

So, I'm thinking I want to do an Autumn themed Sylvaneth force for my collection. I actually think that the Gnarlroot Clan is perfect for this! Richly warm wood for the main body and emerald wood for the darker bark. Hair will be an emerald color and the flesh will be fair and light.

I also got a load of stuff from Green Stuff World to do some bases that are Mid-Spring-Transitioning-into-Autumn.

What do you guys think?

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: June 8, 2019, 10:21:36 PM by Myen'Tal »
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Re: Myen'Tal's Conclave! (Desk Prep & Questions!)
« Reply #261 on: June 8, 2019, 11:00:33 PM »
Nice desk!

Nice air brush!

I like your DoK idea but I would test paint one first. The yellow is kinda throwing me off but seeing it may change my mind. Just sounds, well, bright.

Definitely agree with autumn theme. Oranges and browns, golden yellows, just sounds groovy.

Can't wait to see!
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #262 on: June 8, 2019, 11:32:50 PM »
Thanks, Dread! :)

Yeah, I'll definitely have to test the scheme out. I think for the yellow to work, I might need a deep and lush shade of purple like Shyish purple. I was thinking about Magos Purple layered with Kakaphoni purple, but we'll see.

I guess a dark grey / matte black would work in place of the yellow too if I used a brighter purple like Magos Purple!

I might try to test out that blue / crimson scheme too.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #263 on: June 10, 2019, 05:56:52 PM »
The yellow on the DoK doesn't sound right, its not a colour I would mix with their very dark lore. Dark colours for the cloth and leather against a pale skin will pop. I spend  fari amount of time on this site when I'm trying to think up colur schemes.https://www.sessions.edu/color-calculator/

The Sylvaneth scheme sounds good, looking forward to seeing how they turn out :).

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Myen'Tal's Conclave! (Base Prep!)
« Reply #264 on: June 10, 2019, 06:04:55 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys! How about matte black / dark grey and a pallid shade of lavender for the hair? That should be quite some murderous colors :)

« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 08:39:15 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #265 on: June 14, 2019, 08:48:07 PM »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #266 on: June 15, 2019, 01:27:07 PM »
Look at all the wonderful play pretties! You're gonna have lots of fun with all that. I have night vault, still haven't got to play it. The models are great, each chain horde rasp has its own personality more so then the box sets for AoS.

Now you need to crank 'em out.  8)
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #267 on: June 15, 2019, 01:42:18 PM »
Thanks, Dread! I actually fired up the airbrush for the first time today! Waiting on four models to dry, then I'll post the result! Had to fiddle with PSI settings so that the primer wasn't coming out liquid. Fixed that though. Also took a minute to figure out I need to keep the compressor on for auto refill of air. Also found out that my airbrush can blow straight air too if there's excess primer on the model.

So, mixed results, I think? I had to kick it up to 50-60 psi for the spray to go on somewhat normal... but the consistency still seemed a little liquid and not completely spray. I applied Vallejo Mecha Primer White directly to the airbrush... no thinner. Would that have made any difference?

The coats are on there, but it's not as clean as I'd like. I know you don't have to have a completely opaque coat with primer though. Still... I feel like I can get better results with time.

Any advice?

EDIT: Touched up with a heavy drybrush of ulthuan grey.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 05:32:32 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
Re: Myen'Tal's Conclave! (First Airbrushed Primed Test Models!!!!)
« Reply #268 on: June 15, 2019, 07:27:31 PM »
For the primer, and paints, thinning is pretty much a rule. Your psi should be 25-35. Water based primers and paints usually a 50/50 and use distilled water or alcohol or a mix of both, alcohol helps stop tip clogging as well as reduce dry time. Other paints such as enamels, while good too, I would not suggest for this hobby. Model cars, boats and the like yes, but water base is better for what we're doing here. I haven't used any air brush paints but according to some of our friends on here there are some good ones. As for primer, I use rustoleum 2x flat black primer or armory white primer spray cans, I've found thru the years works great. The pots of primer, I've never had real good luck with. Most of what I do is translated from painting cars and murals, if I could use those on models I would but if I did, I'd have to be sure of what I'm doing, no cleaning those off plastic. Simple green will get the water based paints of pretty good without hurting the plastic.

Wow, I got long winded there. I hope this helps, just remember if water based it needs to drip from a stir stick like water, if not will clog and go on real heavy blurring some of the detail.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #269 on: June 15, 2019, 07:38:08 PM »
Thanks for the information, Dread! Vallejo Mecha Primer is acrylic  :)So thinning is something that I knew I should do, but in this case, I wasn't certain if I was supposed to do it. I thought the primer was liquidy because it was too thin already, but I see now it is the opposite and it's too thick. I already have what I need to thin my paints for the airbrush, so I'll be doing that next time definitely!

Good learning experience!

I'll fire up the airbrush tomorrow for another round and see if I'm more successful

EDIT: Aaannd, I broke a piece of the airbrush dissembling it. Turns out I dissembled a piece that I should not have, the trigger. Will be sending back to Badger for repair... good thing they have a lifetime labor warranty!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 09:29:04 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #270 on: June 15, 2019, 09:59:42 PM »
Sounds good. Remember dropping psi will help keep the paint more smooth. Higher psi can cause a lot of over spray which can cause a roughness/texture you may not want.

Keep 'em coming. I'm working on some sisters models, put my DoK on hold for a bit as well as my night goblins and a few others I was working on.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #271 on: June 16, 2019, 02:36:15 AM »
All of this was achieved tonight with the new contrast paints and ulthuan grey... let me know what you think of this sorcery ;D! Also, would you guys choose to highlight any of these models further?

Base isn't finished on the Tree Revenant, still a WIP!

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 03:51:56 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Conclaves of the Asur
« Reply #272 on: June 16, 2019, 07:34:25 PM »
very vibrant, is the white done with the new white contrast paint as well? The paint looks very grey to me in real life.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #273 on: June 16, 2019, 07:46:49 PM »
Thanks, Mage! I didn't use the white contrast paint actually, I think that one's called Apothecary White? I used the Gryph-Charger Grey instead, since I wanted a more cool grey rather a bright white.

Next weekend, I'm going to start highlighting these test models and see how that goes. Hopefully I'll be able to send my airbrush in for repair sometime this week and get it back next week.

I think my next contrast project, when I get my airbrush back, will be to see what I can do with the Leviadon  ;D.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #274 on: June 16, 2019, 07:59:17 PM »
Wow, those minis look great. I'll have to check out contrast paint.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #275 on: June 16, 2019, 08:26:46 PM »
Wow, those minis look great. I'll have to check out contrast paint.

Thanks, Blazinghand, and please do try them out!

So, here is what I've found out about contrast paints so far!

1 - You do not necessarily need to use the "Grey Seer" or "Wraithbone" contrast paints for an undercoast / basecoat. I achieved all of this stuff with Vallejo Mecha Primer with Ulthuan Grey drybrushed on. I only used the ulthuan grey because I screwed up the undercoat a little.

2- Don't underestimate the contrast medium! Thinning down the contrast paints with this medium is what turns this paint from mediocre to all-stars, in my book! It really changes the nature of each contrast paint, makes them smoother while also making the colors softer and far less harsh, streaky, and splotchy!

3- About any contrast paint painted over various shades of gold gives each contrast paint an interesting metallic properties! The metallic on the Daughters of Khaine was done with Akhelian Green over a Valdor Gold air paint. Also the stone the witch aelf is jumping over is using Talassar Blue instead of the Akhelian Green. The staff handle on the Kurnoth's hunter's scythe is Warp Lightning over Valdor Gold as well.

4- Multiple thin coats... please do not use these paints in one thick coat. I've achieved each of these colors with 2-3 thinned down coats of each color.

5- Mixing in different color shade paints with some of the Contrast Flesh Paints, can produce some interesting flesh variation colors! The Witch Aelf's flesh was created from two drops of carroburg crimson into some gulliman flesh!

6- The models are definitely battle ready, but I feel that taking the time to highlight them will make them truly stand out. I haven't done any of that yet on these models, but I'm definitely going to!

That's all that I've discovered for now!

EDIT: Basing Test!

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 09:22:17 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #276 on: June 17, 2019, 05:37:52 PM »
2- Don't underestimate the contrast medium! Thinning down the contrast paints with this medium is what turns this paint from mediocre to all-stars, in my book! It really changes the nature of each contrast paint, makes them smoother while also making the colors softer and far less harsh, streaky, and splotchy!

Yeah I noticed the streaky and splotchy effect too, but I was using them like a normal paints, rather than going for the one thick coat, it does work if you really load up the brush, it just feels wrong lol. I'll try thinning them on the next one, thanks for the tip.

3- About any contrast paint painted over various shades of gold gives each contrast paint an interesting metallic properties!

Try silvers instead of gold :) 

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #277 on: June 17, 2019, 05:48:03 PM »
Yeah I noticed the streaky and splotchy effect too, but I was using them like a normal paints, rather than going for the one thick coat, it does work if you really load up the brush, it just feels wrong lol. I'll try thinning them on the next one, thanks for the tip.

Just another tip, don't be afraid to be generous with the medium! I find that I'm now using about a brush full to every two brush fulls on contrast paint. Doing it this way requires a second thin coat over the first to build opacity. I hope this helps!

Try silvers instead of gold :)

An interesting request! I will try this when I'm able!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #278 on: June 17, 2019, 09:28:51 PM »
Oh my my my...you've been busy. I'm amazed at how well they look. Just from the pics, I can't see anything you need to do. Additional highlights maybe but not necessarily needed, they look great. The color choice, you always get that dead on doing colors I've never thought of or did and didn't think they would work but you prove me wrong, always.thats good. Keep up the great work.   8)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #279 on: June 17, 2019, 09:54:35 PM »
Really appreciate that compliment, Dread! Sometimes I look at my stuff and think from time to time, is that scheme a little too crazy / disjointed? Comments like yours and everyone else's helps me put things into perspective on whether I'm really improving with my color choices or just being over eccentric. Plus it inspires me to challenge myself further with this kind of stuff ;D.

I really want to tackle that Leviadon now... Eidolon, I might also have some ideas for. We'll see :D! Either way I need an airbrush to continue... got the second one I bought on the way finally. The first one is going in for repair soon.

I'm so excited to keep painting with this stuff! I feel like I could do just about anything this weekend, lol. I think I might try to get some squads up along with that Leviadon if things go well enough.