News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1250 Highlander Army, help!  (Read 2352 times)

Offline McCharming

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
1250 Highlander Army, help!
« on: July 23, 2015, 01:30:00 PM »
I have 1250 pt, highlander rule tournament, coming up. Despite the fact I've been painting these guys for years, I haven't had a chance to play much, so I could use some advice.

So far the army list I'm planning looks like...

HQ: 97pts
-Warboss, power claw, TL big shoota, 'eavy armor, boss pole.

TROOPS: 218pts
-Boyz (28), nob, rokket launcha: 183pts
-Gretchin (10): 35pts

ELITES: 445pts
-Nobs (10), power claws  (5), waaagh banner: 325pts
-Tank bustas (5), squig bomb (2), tank hammer, truck: 120pts

FAST ATTACK: 220pts
-Deffkopta: 30pts
-Storm Boyz (20), nob: 190pts

HEAVY SUPPORT: 270pts
-Battle wagon, boarding plank, big shoota: 130pts
-Lootas (8 ), meks (2): 140pts

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 01:55:02 PM by McCharming »

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: 1250 Highlander Army, help!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 10:48:45 PM »
Looks like an interesting list. A couple tips I could give for you.

Add some more big choppas, less power klaws. Klaws are great, but they will hit the same time as a power fist. Even at an orks low initiative, you want to try cause some high strength wounds before they get a chance to hit back. This is especially true in a challenge. In any unit I take at least one character with a klaw and one with a big choppa. That way if I challenge or get challenged by unit with a powerfist champion I use my big choppa or if I have to take a challenge by a higher initiative champion I have a choice who to accept or if I decline, I don't lose all my hard hitting guys. I normally take my warboss with a big choppa, or better yet headwhoppa's killchoppa and a nob in the boyz unit with a power klaw.

I'm not sure if your boyz are sluggas or shootas, but for the points you list they look like sluggas. (Ccheck your points again because 28 sluggas, plus a nob and a rokkit boy is 195). If they are sluggas and you are taking the warboss with them, forget the twin-linked shoota. You should be running with them almost every turn and he won't see much shooting. For that matter I'd drop the rokkit launcha and give the nob a big choppa. If he's going with the nobs on foot, same deal.

I'm assuming the lootas are going in the battlewagon. Either that or the nobs and warboss. I'd put in the lootas and have a mobile firing pad. If you move they make snap shots, but hey its ork shooting anyways. If you are using it with the lootas, add a big gun to it. Kannons are simple yet effective. Zzaps are fun, but unpredictable.

Not too sure about the tankbustas. Yes, you don't have much anti-armour but 5 guys in a ramshackle trukk seems like a big gamble. For the same costs you could get a unit of 2 kans or a dread adding some armour and some high strength weaopnry.

Deffkopta good. Take it with a rokkit. If you have the points throw a buzzsaw and get stuck in close combat with a weak unit. A great way to effectively tarpit the enemy with only one model. Their high toughness and multiple wound make them harder to kill. If you have more models to take a squad that would be excellent.

Stormboyz are not my cup of tea. Find them way to expensive for what they do. I'm much more of a fan of taking kommandos, but if they are the models you have and want to use, give the nob a half decent melee weapon to make him worth while in taking.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 10:54:47 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 09:35:44 AM »
The list looks good except I don't see many trucks. The one truck you have will get blown away quick. So, get more trucks. Target saturation, that is how orks win, it is amazingly satisfying to hear your opponent say that they don't have enough firepower to kill all that.  ;D

I agree with dog of war, the storm boys are just not as effective in small point games. I would drop them in favor of more tank bustas or a BW for the nobs. In large point games the storm boys are a great suicide unit, as they will win one combat and then get disintegrated. They are cool looking models, but not as functional as one would like.

I also agree that you have too many PKs in your nob squad. Drop it to just two for tank killing and give all the rest of them big choppas, you may even have enough points to give them a pain boy to make the unit even harder.

As for the tank bustas, since the unit is small, keep them shooty, and drop the tank hammers, the "grenades" these guys have will kill armor and monstrous critters far better than tank hammers (which are now unwieldy so swing at I1).

Now, this part you know was coming. Make sure you post a batrep or three from your tourney. Include a few pictures too.

Now get out there and krump.  8)
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline McCharming

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 09:59:56 AM »
Thanks guys, I'm dropping the storm boys for sure. I would have more trucks, but the Highlander rules limit me to one of everything. (The exception is troops as there is only have 2 options, but i must bring at least one of each.)

So with dropping all the PCs, and stormboys, I've put in 2 Kans, and I'm thinking about pulling the tank bustas too, putting in kommandos, and throwing a burn squad in the truck... I'm even considering going crazy and putting my warboss in mega armor, giving him the lucky stick and putting him in the battle wagon with the nobs. (Dropping the Waaagh banner of course.)

Thoughts?

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 11:17:54 PM »
If you're giving me carte blanche and you mentioned kans I would toss a unit of 3 in that list. At that point level a unit of armoured walkers would be very difficult to deal with. Give them grotzookas and you have a decent amount mid/high strength pie plates to throw around mid-field. I like the idea of the warboss with the nobz in the battlewagon. If you do that your lootas are going to need some good cover or they are prime targets and won't last long. I'm a huge fan of kommandos, but I think Snikrot is a must. To have control where they come on from the board is so key to their use because they need to get into close combat as quickly as possible and you need enough cover to make them safe and take advantage of Snikrot's initial buffs.

I'm not sure of the models you have, so I tried to through together a list of what you've mentioned so far with the addition of one or two.

Warboss, headchoppa, 'eavy armour, attack squig (99)
Boyz x 29 + nob PK (215)
Grots x 10 (35)
Kommandos 12 + 2 Burna (170)
Snik Rot (60)
Nobz x 10 (8 Big Choppa, 2 PK) (270)
Kans x 3 Grotzooka (165)
Lootas x 9 (126)
Battlewagon (110)

1250 on the dot. If it was me, I'd throw a dread in there instead of the lootas and kit him to the 9s. He'll support the kans and is fierce in close combat. Helps out with those cowardly grot rolls and your adding a fourth armoured walker to the field. I'd skip on heavy weapons for the boyz as you should be running every turn to get stuck into close combat.

Offline McCharming

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 03:21:43 AM »
Once again, thanks for the help. So I've got a few games in, but I'm pitching one last idea before I have to submit my final answer.

So I have to follow a detachment to make this army Battle Forged, and I'm going with the Ork Horde Detachment. It requires at least 3 troop slots. I had to do a good bit of playing around with it, but final thoughts...?!

HQ:
-Warboss, Lucky Stick, PC, BP. =115

TROOPS:
-SluggaBoyz(19), Nob+BP =135
-Gretchin(10) =35
-SluggaBoyz(19), Nob+BP =135

ELITES:
-Nobs(10), power claws(2) =250
-Kommandos(12), Nob ug, BP, BC=210
-Snikrot =60

FAST ATTACK:
-Deffkopta, TL Rokket Launcha, Buzzsaw =55

HEAVY SUPPORT:
-Battle wagon,RF Ram =115
-Lootas (8), Mek (2) =140

I'm leaning more twords putting the Lootas in the wagon at this point, but would it be better to have it Ram an enemy tank and then poop out the Nobs and Warboss?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 03:24:23 AM by McCharming »

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 08:47:51 AM »
Shaping up to be a pretty solid list. A few tweaks I would make, if it was my list.

I would give the warboss a big choppa instead of the klaw. He has a higher base initiative and putting him with the nobz, all the characters in that unit strike last. With his higher base strength, he really can pack a punch with a big choppa, especially combined with furious charge. That frees up 20 points.

I like the lootas in the wagon. Putting the nobz in is great too, but now you only have a single transported unit that is going to hit the enemy lines way before the rest of your army. Better to have all of your close combat units move together. If you don't have the lootas in the wagon, drop the meks as they are useless with nothing to fix. Even with that said, at that low point level I may just want two more deffguns instead of the meks, as it won't be a long battle and the wagon should survive quite a while without needed repairing every turn. Drop the ram, as the wagon will probably stay still. 5 points freed. Switch two meks to two lootas.

If you are running your units and getting into close combat turn 2 or 3, you probably won't lose 25% a turn in models to shooting with such large units of boyz and the nobz will have the higher LD of the warboss to help. Once in close combat, mob rule will more than likely keep you together if you fail a combat resolution. I'd drop the bosspoles. 20 points freed.

Love the green baron. A must have.

Lucky stikk good, but I'd prefer the killchoppa for the rending, instant death, and boost to strength rather than the minimum two re-rolls. If you trade it for the killchoppa that's a savings of 5 points.

The ork horde detachment is cool, but the gretchin you have to take is a troop tax you can't afford at this points level. The HOW attack you get is only going to help the three infantry units, if they roll high for their charge and have a lot of models left. Not a great bonus for the points. I would drop the grots and just take a CAD list. 35 points freed.

With all those changes that gives you 85 points to play with.

I would spend that on a second HQ for a painboy for the nobz. Buy a big choppa for each nob in the boyz unit. And five more big choppas for the nobz. That gives each unit a bigger punch and makes the nobz much more survivable.

Offline McCharming

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 11:17:51 AM »
Good call on dropping boss poles for choppas, I'll do that. Sadly, I don't think there's anyway I can drop the Grot mob, unless there is a single troop detachment that I don't know of or understand.

The Highlander rule makes me take one of each troop before I can take doubles. The same rule that keeps me from having more than one truck or wagon... on the flip side, that applies to other armies tanks and such.

I just don't really understand the detachments and battle forged armies too well, and this is the only detachment I really know of.

Would it be better to invest in a pain boy, or putting a kannon on the wagon? I may try to math out both, cuz I really like the painboy idea!

Offline Flumpy

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 11:47:49 AM »
Part of the 'Choosing Your Army' chapter in the Rulebook has a 'Combined Army Detatchment' which needs a minimum of 1 HQ and 2 Troops. It also gives your Warlord a re-roll on his trait if you want and gives your Troops objective secured. Quite handy for Malestrom Missions.

I can't help much with the list as I'm quite new myself; but if your keeping the Battle Wagon; probably best to give if 1 weapon. A Bigshoota or Rokkit is fine. It just means that the one time your opponent gets a 'Weapon Destroyed' result won't immobilise it.

I like the list and I wish you the best of luck!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 12:43:38 PM »
Sorry, I didn't know about the troops rule for highlander games. You could maybe switch to one unit of 30 boyz and one unit of grots. That would give you enough points to load up on weapons for the wagon and upgrades for the nobs, pain boy and warboss.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 01:10:20 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 01:53:57 PM »
Everything dog of war said, only add in another death copta. Won't need the saw for it as it will be your rear armor assassin unit. Start it in reserve and when it comes on try to come in as far back as possible so you have rear shots on various armor units (except land raiders of course). If you can't take the copta because of the one unit rule, then take a rockit buggy, same tactics apply.

I also recommend a weapon on the BW, since you will be using it as rolling cover for your lootas, you won't need the ram, but a big shoota or rockit will come in handy.

The list is looking good, but use the force org from the main rule book instead, as mentioned the objective secured benefit is way more valuable than the hammer benefit (not to mention that you have to roll a 10 to get it).

Can't wait to see some batreps, so get stuck in.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak