News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Stunned flyer moving over models  (Read 2911 times)

Offline Nythrulas

• Armies: Ulthwe
Stunned flyer moving over models
« on: August 31, 2015, 02:00:08 PM »
When a flyer is stunned, what happens when there is a model at the final location it is required to move towards?

Removed description of what happens when a flyer is stunned.  Operate under the assumption that everyone is familiar with the rules, or can easily reference them.  --- GML
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 05:10:20 PM by Grand Master Lomandalis »

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Stunned flyer moving over models
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 02:04:06 PM »
It crashes, I believe. If you can't place the model and you can't alter its movement, it's game over.

I might be thinking of 6th Edition, though. Might be one of those little things that changed in 7th.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 05:16:53 PM »
The rule you are looking for can be found on page 84 under Zoom.  It is the last sentence in the first paragraph, which deals with what happens if a zooming flyer is forced to move less than the minimum distance allowed.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Nythrulas

« Reply #3 on: September 9, 2015, 11:21:21 AM »
Except it isn't forced to move less than its normal distance... it moves exactly as described in the stun result, but then there's a model there.

You're telling me a grot can pull down a stormraven by virtue of existing?

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: September 9, 2015, 12:10:57 PM »
Except it isn't forced to move less than its normal distance... it moves exactly as described in the stun result, but then there's a model there.

Which would force you, according to the rules, to move less than its normal distance.

Yes.  :-\

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #5 on: September 9, 2015, 01:17:55 PM »
huuu i was asking myself the same question and at some point i belive it is said that when moving a flyer you can pose it where ever you want if you need space the model under can be moved i believe there is such a things somewhere, so that should apply with the stun result aswell should it not?
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: September 9, 2015, 01:23:11 PM »
I'll need to check the wording, but I'm fairly certain you can't just move enemy models around. Flyers, to my knowledge, aren't permitted to occupy the same space as enemy models.

Somebody with a book on-hand needs to double-check that, though.

Offline Dangerousdave0042

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Blood Angels and Tyranids
« Reply #7 on: September 9, 2015, 02:07:07 PM »
Correct. I used my tac squad to bring down a stunned flyer simply by being on the ground and looking at it. Its dumb. Problem with now having a 3d battle space on a 2d table. And that's how gw decided to deal with it. the flyer base can co exist with a friendly base but not an enemy base. That is the raw. Just interpret it as the pilot losing control. I decided to let my opponent choose to fly the flyer into the ground into my tac squad without scatter for a kamikaze death dive!
Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 9, 2015, 09:36:33 PM »

But you can't move within an inch of the enemy, and can't move more than the minimum distance for zooming flyers.  To not stop within an inch, and not exceed the allowed distance, you are forced to reduce your speed, which you can't do.
« Last Edit: September 9, 2015, 09:37:34 PM by Grand Master Lomandalis »
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Nythrulas

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 04:02:08 AM »
Well, fortunately, my LGC decided that was dumb, and instead have agreed that a stunned flyer continues to move the minimum distance necessary to clear opposing models, and if it ends up touching the board edge, it goes into ongoing reserves as normal.

I also still don't see how it's forcing you to move less distance.  The rule just says you can't voluntarily move your flyer within 1" of an opposing model, but doesn't say what happens if you are forced to do exactly that.  It says you crash if you are forced to move less than the minimum move, but landing on an enemy model doesn't actually state that you are then forced to reduce your distance.  I still see it as a situation without an explicit prcedure.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 09:00:11 AM »
The rule doesn't say "voluntarily;" it says you cannot place your flyer (or any model) within 1" of an enemy model, period.

The procedure is quite explicit. If you are stunned, you must move a precise distance (and only that distance). If you would be forced to land on top of an enemy model, you cannot move that distance. If you cannot move that distance, you crash.

That's it. It has always been this way, for two editions now. It is an extension of the model placing rules that dates back literal decades. Sorry man. Them's the breaks.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 09:29:20 AM »
Well, fortunately, my LGC decided that was dumb, and instead have agreed that a stunned flyer continues to move the minimum distance necessary to clear opposing models, and if it ends up touching the board edge, it goes into ongoing reserves as normal.

That's entirely up to you on whether your group wants to house rule or not, but be aware that it is not the rule and if you play in a tournament you may get called on it.
I knew I had fans!!!