News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Poll

Who was the Most Helpful Poster of 2016?

Cavalier
9 (75%)
Aurics Pride
0 (0%)
Looshkin
1 (8.3%)
dog_of_war
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: March 24, 2017, 07:30:27 PM

Author Topic: 2016 Forum Awards: Most Helpful Poster  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
2016 Forum Awards: Most Helpful Poster
« on: March 17, 2017, 07:30:27 PM »
Vote now...
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: 2016 Forum Awards: Most Helpful Poster
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 01:25:36 PM »
Alienscar pm'd me and mentioned that he forgot to include dog_of_war to the list of nominees.  I have added his name and enabled the option to change your votes for this poll if you so wish to.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 04:05:12 PM »
Hey guys just noticed I won this award and I wanted to say I really appreciate it. I love this forum... its been my favorite place to talk 40k for so long now... I remember getting taken to school by Irisado on tactics and army construction waaaaay back in 4th ed. and really learning a lot from those conversations. Also seeing all the old school army projects was also so inspiring and really pushed me to stand out with my own army. So after all those years to be voted most helpful really means a lot, considering how much help I've got from all you guys, past and present, over the years. Anyways I know its not a huge deal, but it means a lot. So seriously thanks guys
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 06:51:54 PM »
You're a very deserving winner.  Congratulations :).

I can't believe how long ago all that was.  It certainly doesn't feel as though it was eight or nine years ago.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 07:01:47 AM »
I know its crazy... the thing I remember most was trying to come to grips with creating a hammer and anvil list (as funny as that seems now) and advocating using Vypers with EML's. I also remember ferociously reading through all that army lists you would comment on trying to figure out to get a working list.

You know what though? It really helped. I remember I came in 2nd place at like 4 of my local tourneys... the highlight being when I blew up a Soul Grinder (or a Defiler can't remember which) with the first shot of the game from a Vyper using an EML.

However... I really cannot fathom how I did as well as I did, considering the ridiculously wonky collection of models I had at the time. I actually think my attempts at understanding the principals of getting a themed collection/list (themed in terms of attack strategy) is what lead me to take a pause at playing, and focus all my attention to revamping my collection towards a solid list... which in turn lead to me focusing purely on painting and modelling a new collection for most 5th edition which has served me so well all the years that followed.

So all I can say... is 40konline4life and give Irisado a big digital high-five. And I'm always stoked to try and help people the way that I was helped, because its made my 40k experience so much more fun, when you aren't struggling against understanding the game and the hobby ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 07:02:50 AM by Cavalier »

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 08:32:14 AM »
I'm glad that all the advice posted by a whole raft of Eldar seers back then was helpful :).  It was much easier to help with army list formation back then though, so all of the experienced Eldar players had a much easier job providing guidance than is currently the case.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 09:02:05 AM »
Yeah totally agree. It was A lot easier back then. I feel you have to sort of advocate for players to look at all these different supplements etc. Which is a whole different conversation.

Fascinated to see whats gonna happen with 8th ed. Regardless.... I think it'd be fun to try and do a series of articles style posts similar to what MoC did (if I'm remembering his name the Saim-Hann guy with that legendary series of articles on army styles etc).

I wish I had done something similar during 6-7th... because I have a lot of ideas on themed lists in terms of play style. I that'll be my 8th edition resolution to carry forward...

I've got some other ideas to... hopefully to bring more traffic to the site but I gotta chat with some people first. Anyway should be exciting times ahead, as always I'm optimistic  8)