News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 Ogryn and Skitarii  (Read 3462 times)

Offline Anarchic Guardsman

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Imperial Guard
1500 Ogryn and Skitarii
« on: April 14, 2015, 07:47:05 AM »
I've always loved ogryn models and now love the skitarii models too. Thought it would be fun to create a Ogryn/Skitarii hybrid force. I'm not too concerned as to how it will perform but it would be nice to not be wiped of the board consistently in the first couple of turns. Any ideas that fit with the theme would be most appreciated. Here is what I have:

Astra Militarum (Unbound) (1000pts)

No FOC (110pts)

Enginseer (110pts)
2x Servitor w/ Multi-melta, 3x Servitor w/ Servo-arm, Warlord

Elites (890pts)

Bullgryns (235pts)
4x Bullgryn w/ Grenadier Gauntlet & Slabshield, Bullgryn Bone 'ead w/ Grenadier Gauntlet & Slabshield

Bullgryns (235pts)
4x Bullgryn w/ Grenadier Gauntlet & Slabshield, Bullgryn Bone 'ead w/ Grenadier Gauntlet & Slabshield

Ogryns (210pts)
4x Ogryn, Bone 'ead

Ogryns (210pts)
4x Ogryn, Bone 'ead

Skitarii (500pts)

Troops (210pts)

Skitarii Vanguard (95pts)
2x Arc rifle, Omnispex, 4x Skitarii Vanguard, Vanguard Alpha

Skitarii Vanguard (115pts)
2x Transuranic arquebus, Omnispex, x4 Skitarii Vanguard, Vanguard Alpha

Heavy Support (290pts)

Onager Dunecrawler (150pts)
Cognis manipulator, Icarus Array - Twin autocannon, Gatling rockets, Daedalus

Onager Dunecrawler (140pts)
Cognis manipulator, Neutron Laser and Cognis Heavy Stubber
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 12:34:01 PM by Anarchic Guardsman »

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: 1500 Ogryn and Skitarii
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 09:12:55 AM »
I like it when people make fluffy lists that aren't too concerned with winning.  I'll see what I can suggest for this one.  :)

Astra Militarum (Unbound) (1010pts)

No FOC

Enginseer (90pts)
Servitor w/ Multi-melta, 3x Servitor w/ Servo-arm

Elites

Bullgryns (250pts)
4x Bullgryn w/ Grenadier Gauntlet & Slabshield, Bullgryn Bone 'ead w/ Power Maul & Brute Shield, Warlord

Bullgryns (250pts)
4x Bullgryn w/ Grenadier Gauntlet & Slabshield, Bullgryn Bone 'ead w/ Power Maul & Brute Shield

Ogryns (210pts)
4x Ogryn, Bone 'ead

Ogryns (210pts)
4x Ogryn, Bone 'ead

I like Ogyrns too, but they do have one glaring weakness that is easy to exploit; their low Leadership.  They can be made to run away or get pinned down really easily, and thus they usually require a Lord Commissar, an ordinary Commissar or a Priest to babysit them.  This is just something to bare in mind.

A Bone 'Ead as a Warlord is certainly different though!  But I'm not sure it's a good idea. 

It's easy to understand why you've got the Enginseer.  They'll make a good combo with the Onagers.  With his Awaken the Machine ability, you could squadron up your walkers (getting the boost to their shields) and still have them guide the different weapons at different targets.  And he can help repair damage.  If I can make a suggestion though...make the Enginseer the Warlord!  They're the most senior Mechanicus model there, and this is a Mechanicus force at heart. 

I've always loved ogryn models and now love the skitarii models too. Thought it would be fun to create a Ogryn/Skitarii hybrid force. I'm not too concerned as to how it will perform but it would be nice to not be wiped of the board consistently in the first couple of turns. Any ideas that fit with the theme would be most appreciated. Here is what I have:

Skitarii (490pts)

Troops (200pts)

Skitarii Vanguard (95pts)
2x Arc rifle, Omnispex, 4x Skitarii Vanguard, Vanguard Alpha, Radium carbine

Skitarii Vanguard (105pts)
4x Skitarii Vanguard, 2x Transuranic arquebus, Vanguard Alpha, Radium carbine

As I'm assuming that they'll be fighting behind the Slabsheild wall, I think that both squads could do with an Omnispex.

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 12:25:49 PM »
Cheers for the feedback! Yeah the Enginseer is there for the Onagers, didn't really consider him as a warlord before you mentioned as the Ogryns were first on the list so I will make that change.

To put in the Omnispex I have instead given the Bullgryn Bone 'ead's Gauntlets and Stabshields. This also gave me 20pts left over so that has gone on another melta servitor for now.

I agree with you on fluff armies, much more fun to play with and against them whilst there is a bit of narration going on during the game.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 12:31:48 PM by Anarchic Guardsman »

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 12:40:21 PM »
You're welcome!  And I glad you agree with me about fluffly armies.  It's nice sometimes to not worry about winning with power lists and to just have some fun with the game.  :)

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 04:34:59 PM »
A minor suggestion, since you're unbound, might be to take an Iron Hands Master of the Forge as your Warlord. Bonus to repair rolls, he can make a piece of terrain in your deployment zone "better". He's got a more impressive stat-line, and he can also take some kind of ranged weapon, if you're inclined, though his repair ability suffers a bit. With Servo Harness, he repairs on a MEQ save. :)

Instead of 4x 5-man Ogryn units, you'd probably be better off with 6x 3-Man units. This would free up a handful of points, and allow you to be more flexible with them. The odds of overkill on a "last wound" go up, protecting models from other units, while also keeping models alive from 2 different units. For example, if 4 wounds are applied to a single unit, you lose a guy and a wound. 2 wounds to 2 units keeps you at full attack strength.

I think you're putting WAAAAAY too many points into the Muties. I mean, nearly 2/3 of your points is not doing a whole heck of a lot except providing cover for the rest of your army. I think your army is going to be stomped pretty badly by anything with halfway decent mobility. And if you're facing anything D or S10, you're in for a world of hurt.

There's precious little in way of anti-tank, and no anti-air to speak of, so lists with significant Vehicle presence will be very difficult for you to deal with.

All in your meta-game, I suppose. If you're facing off against slow moving, assault favouring forces, you'll probably be ok. ;)

Welcome to the site, by the way!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 04:37:05 PM by Spectral Arbor »

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 05:59:32 PM »
Oh yeah, I didn't realize how new you are!  Welcome to the site!  :)

There's precious little in way of anti-tank, and no anti-air to speak of, so lists with significant Vehicle presence will be very difficult for you to deal with.

The Dunecrawler with the the Icarus Array is a pretty decent AA weapon, but it is an 'all your eggs in one basket' kind of deal.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 07:25:38 AM »
Aaah. I missed that on the first read-through.

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 08:58:55 AM »
Cheers Spectral! I will consider separating up the Ogryns. I still want to keep them because I just think it will be fun to place all of those on the battlefield; it will look somewhat imposing even if they will get shredded. I agree that the Dunecrawler is all eggs in one basket but looking at the rules so long as I can protect it early game then I hope it should have done its job by the time it inevitably gets targeted and then if I'm lucky with dice then the invulnerable save might help out!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 09:01:37 AM by Anarchic Guardsman »