News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ebon's Bizarre Adventure - Warpdust Crusaders  (Read 3125 times)

Offline Ebon Star

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Ebon's Bizarre Adventure - Warpdust Crusaders
« on: December 30, 2015, 11:00:20 AM »
Because Walletdust Crusaders didn't quite make as much sense.

So good news - there seems to be a renewed interest in my work. Bad news is that I actually eBay'd off both armies. So we're back to square one. This means new Project Log.

But Ebon I hear you ask What are you going to do with this one? Well the answers are quite simple:

I'm going to focus on two armies, like before. However this time I'm not limited by any form of restrictions. This means I can afford to be a lot crazier with things. It also means I can focus on a bunch of models I have been doing for some time as a side project. Behold:

Pay no attention to the undercoated UCM Dropships!

I put together these Fire Warriors as an experiment around painting. The idea (and theme) of the army is quite simply - "Camouflage does not mean boring military greens and browns". Seriously, those are boring to look at. So I went full derp and made took the idea of Tiger Pattern Camo quite literally. The result was something vibrant and pleasing to look at, while remaining kinda fluffy. Just imagine it as Jungle/Savannah Camouflage.

As for the squad? They were built using the older Tau Fire Warriors kit. As such, I prefer to imagine them as Geriatric "everything was better back in MY day!" Fire Warriors.

And since I do have more but am proceeding to not explain things well, here's someone else I spent the afternoon working on -

WHEEE!!!

But that's not everyone. Tune in tomorrow where I'll hopefully get a chance to show off something a bit more impressive. That or I'll be forgotten about for a month or so until someone necroposts this topic  :P
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 01:29:33 PM by Ebon Star »

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: Ebon's Bizarre Adventure - Warpdust Crusaders
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 04:43:06 AM »
I love the tiger stripe paint job you did on the Warriors, and the up up and away! pose on the battleship.  Great stuff.  I'll be following this with interest.  :)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 07:32:04 AM »
Always love tiger strip camo on 40k figures. Reece from Frontline gaming has a tiger-stripe camo guard army which I love. These look great man can't wait to see the rest of the army. Keep it up!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ebon Star

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 08:38:21 AM »
First off - thanks guys for the positive response.

Second off, we now have a topic linked into this log. For those wanting to talk Fluff and Crunch, this topic right here will allow you to see the proposed list in detail. And you can help Ebon out with the Fluff. Just watch out for Snark Sharks. The page is flooded with them.

Third, well...

New Plastic XV-15's! These'll be popping up on Faeit as someone's sighting of a new Plastic Kit soon enough.

I got the idea looking though Battlesuit Conversions on Google Images, and I came across someone's old idea for some more Humanoid looking Stealth Suits. To be frank, I never liked the XV-25 - way too big, bulky and hardly sneaky. Thus I give you the XV 27-2, the latest in Tau Stealth Suit technology!

But how to make one? Well in a special case, I prepared a quick "How To" in case you fancy making some of these suits yourself:

First thing you're going to need is some spare XV-25 Torsos. You start by very carefully cutting the Jetpack off the suit. I used a combination of my old Plasticlippers and a Craft Knife to pry it off. Cut the newly snipped off Jetpack down as appropriate for stage 2.

Stage 2 involves a component that will strike people as bizarre - a Tactical Squad Space Marine Torso. On these suits, I chose to use the Betrayal at Calth torso, but any Space Marine Torso will do. Make sure to remove any Imperial emblems with a File or Craft Knife first. In the below example, I snipped off a few rivets with a Craft Knife as carefully as I could. I've also found the little slot for the Marine's backpack and the piping behind the neck brace may need to be removed to ensure a smooth integration between the two components.

If you've done things correctly, you should be able to attach the Jetpack and Torso together now. If they don't fit at first, trim the suit further. Use Liquid Green Stuff to smooth over any unsightly cuts that are visable.

And bam! Just attach the arms (though the ball joint will need to be removed first), legs and weapons from the XV-25 kit and a head of your choice, and you can have your own squad of Not-XV-15's.

Happy New Year, folks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 10:17:57 AM by Ebon Star »

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 11:20:25 AM »
they look brilliant. Should interest ever wane in this blog, I'll be happy to necropost again for you, because it is most certainly worth it. I like both the tiger stripe camo as your use of non-tau stuff in conversions, so I'd say: keep it up!

also... What's the second army going to be?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 11:24:10 AM by vonny »
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Ebon Star

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 11:39:52 AM »
they look brilliant. Should interest ever wane in this blog, I'll be happy to necropost again for you, because it is most certainly worth it. I like both the tiger stripe camo as your use of non-tau stuff in conversions, so I'd say: keep it up!

I guess then it's time for some quick updates.

First up, the Stealth Suits now have heads. Kinda:

They're wearing the Breacher Team heads from the new Fire Warrior kit, though unfortunately I've been lacking Antennae. They've also sunk a bit more into the suit than expected - if you like as an optional step if you find this happening, I guess you can use some Green Stuff or something to prop the head up a bit more. As for this batch, I guess it has kind of a Gorget look?

In general hobby buisness, I've been by and large taking a break to focus on other things. Namely January Bills, new PC and forces. In a rather painful twist of things, turns out my Brother has also started collecting Tau. And in terms of fate and grace, whatever my brother sets out to do he will exceed me at doing anything. Kind of makes one very inadequate, even if he just built and glued them onto the bases and hasn't even primed them yet (and he may not do). Also money being a bit tight on the purse strings for a while means that I won't be adding to the force anytime soon.

On more upbeat ends of things, I've been clearing out some of the crap I've had lying around the joint for a while now and it's provided space in the Cabinet to store my Sigmarines. I've not been able to do much with them (i.e: play any decent sized games especially now the FLGS is closed), however they do look decent. The problem is red and gold has become something of a hackeyed colour scheme everyone and their grandmother has done.

My point is I could take pictures so we've got something to talk about in the interrim until I can advance the 40K Project along, if people would be okay with that.

And to get really off topic for a second, I've debated writing up an article or two for the site (because I have (controversial) opinions and I like to express them). However I am not sure how the 40K Online article system works these days and it appears to be disbanded - do I post under the relevant Army Forum? Submit to a Moderator for review? Call upon the powers of Ry'leth?

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 11:57:36 AM »
Regarding the submission of articles, we still welcome and accept submissions.  Please look here for further details.  The only reason nothing new has appeared since 2014 is because nothing has been submitted since 2014.  You're very welcome to change that statistic :).

Regarding your project, just keep going as best you can and pay no attention to your brother.  He's not here posting and you are, so we're interested in your contributions not his :).  Comparing yourself to others only holds you back, and you have the makings of something good here.  I hope that you will keep working on it.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente